Once again I’m without Allen for another draft-centric episode, bringing along with me The Falcoholic’s Charles McDonald and Andrew Parsons to break down some of the top first-round targets of the Atlanta Falcons for the upcoming 2016 NFL Draft.
- (2:45) First we kick things off by talking about Jalen Collins’ suspension and what impact it has on the team and his potential moving forward.
- (5:30) Clemson DE Shaq Lawson is first up to discuss how good a pass-rusher he can be at the NFL level and whether he truly represents an upgrade over current Falcon ends like Vic Beasley, Adrian Clayborn and/or Derrick Shelby.
- (11:15) Louisville DT Sheldon Rankins is next on deck as we discuss whether his value in 2017 and beyond will outweigh notions that his impact might be limited early on due to the current strength of the Falcons at defensive tackle.
- Also in that Rankins discussion, we talk about whether his presence will marginalize Ra’Shede Hageman moving forward.
- (20:30) Alabama LB Reggie Ragland is discussed as a low-ceiling upgrade over Paul Worrilow at middle linebacker.
- (28:30) Ohio State LB Darron Lee might be considered a workout warrior with some physical limitations. But does his potential in coverage outweigh any deficiencies against the run that might exist in his game?
- (39:15) We discuss recent rumors of Tyson Jackson’s ballooning weight and where he fits into the defense moving forward.
- (42:15) Georgia LB Leonard Floyd is our fifth first-round prospect and whether he’s an intriguing enough gamble to play him as an off-ball linebacker rather than the traditional edge-player.
- (57:15) We discuss whether it’s worthwhile for the Falcons to try and trade back in the first round.
- (61:00) Charles and Andrew give some of the second and third-round targets they are looking at particularly at safety, linebacker and tight end.
- (69:00) Lawson’s Clemson teammate in DE Kevin Dodd is also discussed and whether he’s truly deserving of being a first-round pick.
- (72:00) Andrew and Charles give their thoughts on some of the top players overall in the 2016 draft class as well as how this defensive tackle class really stacks up. We also discuss whether the strength (and/or weakness) of the defensive line groups makes Rankins more valuable and Lawson less so.
Duration: 1 hour, 28 minutes
You can subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, and be sure to rate us there! For Android users, DoubleTwist is a good app to listen as well. You can also subscribe directly to our feed at the following URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/falcfans/LXSt