Allen and I are back after an extremely short break with Andrew Parsons to preview and break down the Atlanta Falcons’ plans in free agency for 2016. Parsons helps us take a deep dive into which players might fit the Falcons needs this offseason.
But before we get into the free-agent talk, we discuss the reasons behind the release of defensive tackle Paul Soliai as well as give further thoughts on the fallout from wide receiver Roddy White’s release, including discussion on whether offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan’s personality and offense are the right fits in Atlanta.
When we jump into free agency talk, we hit some of the following players and topics:
- Whether we should be excited about the possibility of Travis Benjamin replacing White at wide receiver
- Ladarius Green’s fit at tight end and whether Coby Fleener could also be a good match for the Falcons
- Pros and cons of spending a lot of money on center Alex Mack
- Falcons’ potential interest in offensive line free agents like J.R. Sweezy, Mitchell Schwartz and Zane Beadles
- Whether the Falcons can literally afford to go after one of the premier pass-rushers available
- If spending for Bruce Irvin is a good move and what Tamba Hali has left in the tank
- Brandon Mebane, Jaye Howard, Nick Fairley and Akiem Hicks as far as defensive tackle fits go
- Grady Jarrett’s increased reps at nose tackle and Adrian Clayborn’s possible return
- Whatever happened to Rafael Bush?
- Is James Laurinaitis an upgrade over Paul Worrilow?
- Explaining Worrilow’s restricted free agent tender
- Is Danny Trevathan destined to land in Chicago and what alternatives at linebacker the Falcons might pursue such as Tahir Whitehead, Rolando McClain, Demario Davis, Bruce Carter and Sean Spence
- Why George Iloka is the No. 1 target on Parsons’ wish list
- Other safety fits such as Reggie Nelson, Tashaun Gipson, Rodney McLeod and Walter Thurmond
- Matt Schaub and whether he’ll continue the trend of bad preseason quarterback play in Atlanta
- Reminiscing about past disappointments in Falcons free agency
- Is Brooks Reed on the bubble?
Duration: 1 hour, 45 minutes
You can subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, and be sure to rate us there! For Android users, DoubleTwist is a good app to listen as well. You can also subscribe directly to our feed at the following URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/falcfans/LXSt