Allen and I are back this week to discuss the latest slate of Atlanta Falcons free-agent moves including the signing of linebacker Courtney Upshaw. Helping us break down what Upshaw is bringing to Atlanta is Baltimore Beatdown editor Kyle Barber, who shares with us the scoop on what he saw from Upshaw over four years playing for the Baltimore Ravens.
With Kyle, we hit on some of the following topics among others:
- Upshaw’s excellent ability as a run-stopper but less than stellar abilities as a pass-rusher and in coverage
- Upshaw’s fit as a defensive end or linebacker in the Falcons’ 4-3 scheme
- Dealing with the Ravens’ approach to the offseason
- How excited free-agent pickups like Eric Weddle, Mike Wallace and Ben Watson are in Baltimore
- Breshaud Perriman’s hairline
- Baltimore’s potential reemergence in 2016 and the return of Steve Smith
- Matt Schaub’s value to the Falcons in 2016
Later in the episode, Allen and I dive a bit deeper in Upshaw, contrasting him with Kroy Biermann and wondering just how tight a grip Brooks Reed has on a roster spot despite reports suggesting it’s tenuous at best.
At around the 44-minute mark, we start to discuss the Falcons re-signing linebacker Philip Wheeler, and what role he could have in 2016. We also discuss Biermann’s fit within the “Bills Mafia” and opine on red velvet-flavored treats and chicken and waffles.
Duration: 1 hour, 2 minutes
You can subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, and be sure to rate us there! For Android users, DoubleTwist is a good app to listen as well. You can also subscribe directly to our feed at the following URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/falcfans/LXSt