I am rejoined Allen Strk to discuss the Atlanta Falcons’ 2016 draft class with Charles McDonald (The Falcoholic) and Shane P. Hallam (About Sports). This is a jam-packed episode that is longer than we usually do, but it’s full of awesome information on this year’s rookie crop.
Charles is the first guest (joins at 4:30) to discuss his thoughts on the Falcons’ newest crop of draft picks, including some of the following topics:
- (5:30) Overall opinion of the draft class and how it compares to the 2015 class.
- (8:30) Missing out on Shaq Lawson and/or Myles Jack in Round One.
- (14:15) Keanu Neal and how he compares both to Kam Chancellor and William Moore
- (19:30) Deion Jones, his weight and how he could fit at middle linebacker.
- (26:30) Austin Hooper and whether he is the unheralded superstar of this draft class.
- (31:55) De’Vondre Campbell and the possibility that his upside is higher than Jones.
- (39:20) Wes Schweitzer and exactly what his upside is.
- (43:50) Devin Fuller’s potential to impact at either wide receiver or on special teams.
- (47:35) Undrafted free agents worth keeping an eye on.
- (51:25) The quality of the New Orleans Saints and Jacksonville Jaguars’ 2016 draft classes.
- (54:20) How to measure this draft class’ long-term impact on the Falcons.
Shane joins the show (at 1:00:10) and gives his thoughts on the following topics:
- (1:00:45) Keanu Neal being a reach or an upside pick.
- (1:04:00) Deion Jones’ speed and whether it helps him fit inside.
- (1:08:45) De’Vondre Campbell’s upside.
- (1:11:45) Austin Hooper’s ball skills and potential to help Matt Ryan in the passing game.
- (1:14:30) Wes Schweitzer and his ability to stand out at San Jose State.
- (1:16:35) Devin Fuller’s return skills and elusiveness.
- (1:18:25) How 2016 was a fun draft and Shane’s take on the running backs and quarterbacks this year.
- (1:24:20) Potential strengths of the 2017 NFL draft crop.
Allen makes his illustrious return to the podcast at the 1:28:10 mark and we hit many of the following highlights in our usual meandering discussion:
- (1:31:50) Whether passing on Myles Jack was a mistake.
- (1:38:30) Other potential options the Falcons could have targeted in Round Two over Jones.
- (1:45:15) Pro Football Focus’ “flawed” draft grading system.
- (1:51:00) Comparing Paul Worrilow to Keith Brooking.
- (1:57:15) Austin Hooper’s impact.
- (2:05:40) Current state of American politics.
- (2:06:20) De’Vondre Campbell.
- (2:09:05) Dan Quinn vs. Mike Smith’s abilities to develop talent.
- (2:16:05) Aaron being the “Skip Bayless” of the Falcons fan base.
Duration: 2 hours, 24 minutes
You can subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, and be sure to rate us there! For Android users, we are now on Google Play is a good app to listen as well. We are also on TuneIn Radio! You can also subscribe directly to our feed at the following URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/falcfans/LXSt