Allen and I review the Atlanta Falcons Week One loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers with The Falcoholic’s Charles McDonald. During this episode, we discuss the myriad of issues that plagued the Falcons in the season-opener including some of the following:
- (3:05) Whether the Falcons got outcoached and whether their defensive-line rotations worked.
- (5:45) Charles discusses the team’s poor tackling, lack of pass rush and running game.
- (8:30) I bring up the performances of the rookie linebackers as well as the expected inconsistencies that come with youth.
- (12:55) We judge Matt Ryan’s performance and whether the criticism he is getting is fair as well as the concerns over the offensive line’s performance and what sort of mismatches opponents might present in future games.
- (20:20) Lavonte David’s resurgence as a “Falcons killer” and Brent Grimes’ return to Atlanta.
- (22:45) The performance of Mohamed Sanu and why Julio Jones didn’t get many touches.
- (27:30) Tevin Coleman’s impact and what his role should be moving forward.
- (31:00) Shanahan’s play-calling and the red-zone blunders.
- (38:05) If the Falcons’ schedule is going to allow for them to avoid a really rough start to the year.
- (40:00) More discussion of the defensive line rotation and whether it’s premature to turn on Derrick Shelby thus far.
- (46:00) More questions about Dan Quinn’s coaching and whether his public statements can be trusted.
Charles leaves at (1:07:30) and Allen and I give our backgrounds to how we became Falcons fans for any listeners that don’t know.
Duration: 1 hour, 15 minutes
You can subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, and be sure to rate us there! For Android users, we are now on Google Play. We are also on TuneIn Radio and finally Stitcher! You can also subscribe directly to our feed at the following URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/falcfans/LXSt