It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: This is what good GMs do
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:55 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Its called getting out of bad contracts.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post?id=53697

Examing the Stanford Routt release
February, 9, 2012
7:43 PM ET

By Bill Williamson

New Oakland general manager Reggie McKenzie isn’t wasting much time shaping his roster and his first move was to cut cornerback Stanford Routt, one of the team’s better defensive players. It might have been necessary as McKenzie reshapes the team’s salary cap.

The Raiders signed Routt to a three-year, $31.5 million deal, with $20 million in guaranteed money, last February, essentially choosing Routt over Nnamdi Asomugha, who is considered one of the NFL's best cornerbacks. Asomugha walked to the Eagles as a free agent.

[+] Enlarge
Stanford RouttAP Photo/Greg TrottStanford Routt's big contract was among the first casualties under new Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie.
Routt’s deal was later restructured to five years and $54.5 million, with the $20 million in guarantees — of which $10 million was reportedly to kick in this year.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that this move will cost Oakland $2.2 million in salary-cap space in 2012. The exact cap figure has yet to be figured, but the Raiders will have to make other moves.

This move might be an indication that Oakland is going to be aggressive in making cuts. It will have to go get help in several years in free agency – beginning with possibly two cornerbacks — and it has free-agent priorities in running back Michael Bush and safety Tyvon Branch. One of those two will likely be given the franchise tag.

You have to wonder what other high-dollar Raiders could be on the chopping block. Among those who have signed big recent contracts are defensive lineman Richard Seymour, linebacker Kamerion Wimbley and defensive back Michael Huff. Other players who could be candidates for restructuring or to be cut to save cap room include defensive tackle John Henderson, linebacker Aaron Curry and guard Cooper Carlisle.

Many around the NFL scoffed at Routt's big contract — and it is clear McKenzie is in that camp.

Routt is a decent player, but he is probably best suited to be a No. 2 cornerback. He was better playing alongside Asomugha than he was as the team's No. 1 corner. Routt was solid in coverage, but was penalized 17 times and gave up eight touchdowns, tied for the second-highest total in the NFL last season.

Still, the release of Routt is risky because the Raiders now don’t have any reliable cornerbacks on the roster. They hope to develop young players DeMarcus Van Dyke and Chimdi Chekwa; perhaps Huff will be moved to cornerback. The Raiders have a small draft class, so most of their additions at the position will probably come through free agency.

Among the top cornerbacks available in free agency (depending on who is given the franchise tag) will be Atlanta’s Brent Grimes, Tennessee’s Cortland Finnegan and Kansas City’s Brandon Carr. A name to keep an eye on is New Orleans’ Tracy Porter, who played under new coach Dennis Allen in New Orleans.

This move doesn’t hurt Routt, 28, much. He was paid an enormous amount last season and now becomes one of the better cornerbacks available. Plus he gets jump on free agency, free to sign with a team at any time.

He could help all three of the other teams in the AFC West as a No. 2 cornerback, so I wouldn’t be surprised if Denver, Kansas City and San Diego all look at him.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: This is what good GMs do
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:54 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge I don't see the big savings.... Still 20 million guaranteed; but 10 million this next year.... I guess now they can cap it over 5 years vs. 3, and they can cut him sooner, but he's still getting 10 million a year; for 5 years instead of 3 ..... I understand its a little better but its the 20
million that's guaranteed that is of course the same. Their out 20 million either way, and its just how soon they cut him; if they do that might help a little; cutting him after 3 years but then they'll have to pay someone; and still be out 20 million?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:00 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I misread the thing, I first thought they restructured; they cut him.....That's perhaps What we should do with the mistake of Edwards, he's so slow
I don't see how he had at least 5 sacks every year until this year!! If it was their other defensive end; Edwards didn't take advantage of Abe
on the other side this year!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:57 pm 

Like I said, it's not about savings. It's about getting out of bad contracts. The Falcons should take a page from the Raiders when it comes to how they deal with Ray Edwards and, especially Dunta Robinson this off-season.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:22 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

If its to save Grimes, then I totally agree. I still think give Ray another year because he's still somewhat young and Falcons don't have many replacements. Franks showed some promise to possibly replace Robinson and possibly Owens. It's a huge risk though but will see.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:10 pm 
Starter
Starter

Aren't we on the hook for a 7 million dollar cap hit if we cut Robinson? If that's true I guess we are stuck with him for next year. I do think a change in scheme MAY help him. If not, bye bye next offseason.

Profile E-mail