All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eric Decker, WR, Minnesota
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:26 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Eric Decker
6-3/215
Minnesota Senior

Pros: Has good hands and nice body control. Knows how to use his body to make the catch in traffic. Does a good job on the jump balls and attacks the ball in the air. Tracks ball well, can make the deep catch, and has some deceptive deep speed. Will be tough to jam because of his size.
Cons: Will body catch at times. Not explosive off the line and doesn't have the speed to outrun NFL corners. Lacks quickness and burst and struggles to get separation. Uses his hands, arms, and a lot of nudges and push-offs to create the necessary space to get open.
Overview: Decker is your classic possession receiver that is a big target that usually comes down with the ball making him reliable. His size will be an asset on many teams and he'll tend to win most battles against smaller corners. The problem is his lack of quickness and he really doesn't separate well from college corners, so you know he won't do much better in the pros.
NFL Forecast: It's easy to compare Decker with Brian Finneran. They have similar size, build, and playing styles. And I think that's about what type of player you'd be looking for in Decker. I think Decker would be best coming off the bench and will be one of those guys that can move the chains because he's reliable weapon on third down. But he's not going to be a playmaker, and unless he builds a strong rapport with his quarterback (which is a definite possibility) he's not going to be a go-to threat. So while I'd say his NFL career compares favorably with Finneran in his prime, I don't think he'll be that much more effective than Michael Jenkins is as a starter. I'm just not sure that a player of Michael Irvin's mold (who has to push off a lot to get open) can thrive in today's NFL.
ATL Forecast: Decker would be a nice player to replace Finneran on the roster. He has size and if he can contribute on special teams, then he can add immediate depth to the Falcons roster. In time, he could supplant Jenkins as the starter on the outside, but he probably wouldn't be much of an upgrade, although he might be a bit more consistent catching those wide open passes in the endzone that Jenks has a tendency to drop. At best, he could be a more reliable No. 2 option, but no more capable of making defenses pay. And at worst, he'd be a good option off the bench on third downs and in the redzone. Either way, Decker would be a valuable contributor to the Falcons, just probably not an impact player.
Value: For a team looking for a big possession wideout, Decker wouldn't be a reach in the latter part of round two. But he's probably best served to be picked in the third round since he has limited upside as a starter.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

SPEED: 2.5
HANDS: 4.0
AFTER CATCH: 2.0
BODY CONTROL: 4.0
RANGE: 2.0

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Eric Decker, WR, Minnesota
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:16 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Pros: Good size and decent speed for the position. Shows reliable hands and shows ability to go up to get jump balls and does a good job of making catches in traffic, and will go over the middle. Is a tough receiver and will play hurt. Does a good job of working back to his quarterback. Uses his frame to shield smaller defenders away from the ball.

Cons: Doesn’t have good speed and quickness and doesn’t have much suddenness in and out of his breaks as a route runner. Won’t be much of a vertical threat in the NFL. Will push off and arm bar to create separation. Has some injury concerns.

Overall: Decker was the go-to guy in Minnesota and seemed to be the difference between Adam Weber being a competent QB and an awful one. However in the NFL he seems like a reliable possession receiver with limited upside as a starter. He could be a #2 at best, but he would just provide a reliable target to move the chains and a threat in the red zone because of his frame and ability to go up for a jump ball. He won’t be a stud in the NFL, but every team needs a quality possession receiver like Decker, and that will get him looks in the 3rd and 4th round.

Projection: 3rd round: He could slide to the 4th depending on how his injuries checked out, but as a possession target he should go off the board sometime in the 3rd round range.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

SPEED: 2.5
HANDS: 4.0
AFTER CATCH: 2.0
BODY CONTROL: 4.0
RANGE: 2.0

http://tommeltonscouting.wordpress.com/

And check out the NFL Draft site I write for!

http://nfldraftmonsters.com/

Profile E-mail