All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:36 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

DEZ BRYANT
6-2/210
Oklahoma State Junior

PROS: Has good, strong hands. Has excellent speed and burst. A good runner after the catch because of his quickness and speed, but also can be physical and not afraid of contact. Has good body control and makes the catch in traffic with his good size. Attacks the ball in the air, and does a good job on vertical routes because he tracks the deep ball so well. Shows he can be an effective blocker downfield.
CONS: Will drop some easy passes from time to time. Needs to improve as a route-runner. Is a bit of a talker.
OVERVIEW: I didn't get the chance to see Bryant play this year before his suspension, so I'm basing this evaluation off what I saw from him last year. He was suspended for the rest of the season for lying to the NCAA about having a reportedly harmless dinner with Deion Sanders. I tend to see Bryant as a finesse player that I'm not sure deals with adversity.
NFL FORECAST: I have a similar opinion of Bryant that I did of Michael Crabtree last year. In terms of his physical ability, he's really second to none. He has the potential to be an elite receiver and will certainly be an asset to some NFL team. There's little doubt in my mind that Bryant will be a successful NFL receiver, he's just too talented. Like Crabtree, and other receivers of that ilk like Randy Moss and Terrell Owens, about 75% of the time, he's going to be a huge asset to an offense. But that other 25% of the time, he can actually be a detriment to your team because he doesn't have great character. And if that 25% of the time happens to come and January (and it often does), you're team is screwed because he can be a no show. And because of the other 75% of the time, he's so ingrained in what you do offensively, that essentially costs you games. I call these players "mercenaries" because they aren't guys you build around, but instead bring in later to get to the next level. The Eagles can't get past the NFC Championship game for three years, Owens comes in and they're in the Super Bowl. The Patriots haven't been to a Super Bowl in two years, Moss comes in and they are arguably one of the two greatest teams in NFL history. And who knows, maybe Bryant learns from guys like that, and "gets it" and shows more maturity and toughness as a young player. But I wouldn't bet it on. But then again, I wouldn't say that I would avoid Bryant. I just don't think he's a guy that can be great for everybody. On a bad team that doesn't have strong leadership, that 25% might grow to 50%. But on a good team, I'm not as concerned assuming I have other weapons to go to. If like Moss and Owens with Jerry Rice and Cris Carter, Bryant comes into the league as a second fiddle to a top receiver, then it's a slam dunk. But on a bad team where he has to be the No. 1 guy right off the bat and is working with a young or poor quarterback, I don't expect him to live up to those expectations. And while talent-wise they are very comparable, he doesn't have the sort of character of a Larry Fitzgerald, who can thrive on a bad team.
ATL FORECAST: Atlanta is one of those places were Bryant could thrive however. With Ryan, Roddy, and Gonzo to steer him in the right direction, he should be very good very soon. He's not perfectly polished, but as a situational and role player from the get-go, he can definitely contribute big plays. And he should overtake Jenkins as the starter by his second summer. The good thing about the Falcons is that he'd come in not to be some sort of savior, but instead he'd have to check his ego a bit and at least initially accept being a role player. Which he could thrive on because of his talent level, and then in time be integrated as a go-to star. He's one of the few players that I think could overtake Roddy as Ryan's favorite target within two or three years. And if watches and learns from Roddy, and aims to mirror some of his toughness and physicality (as Fitzgerald did from watching Boldin), then he'd be ridiculously good in Atlanta.
VALUE: He has the talent to be a Top 5 pick, but I'd rather take him in the No. 5-10 range because of his lack of strong character.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

SPEED: 4.5
HANDS: 4.0
AFTER CATCH: 4.0
BODY CONTROL: 4.0
RANGE: 5.0

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:31 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Dez Bryant - WR - Oklahoma State
Height: 6'2
Weight: 225
40 Time: 4.50
Projected: Top 15

Positives:

- Great size
- Very quick
- Shifty in the open field
- Great after the catch
- Elite hands
- Rarely catches with his body
- Attacks the football
- Very physical, uses his size to his advantage
- Knows how to get open
- Looks like a natural WR
- Will take hits and make the catch
- Tough and has played through injuries
- Can return punts and kicks, successfully in college

Negatives:

- Doesn't have pure straight line speed
- Needs to improve his route running, too often "bananas" his routes
- Can improve his blocking
- Drops some easy passes at times, rarely though
- May be a bit immature
- Suspended for lying to the NCAA, dumb suspension

Overview

Dez Bryant has all the tools to become an elite WR in the NFL. He catches the ball well and looks like a natural on the field. He needs a little more coaching on route running. He already has the skills but if he becomes a great route runner he can develop into one of the best WR's in the NFL. At his best i can see Dez Bryant being a similar player to Anquan Boldin, but a little bit faster. They both have questions about their pure speed yet they both know how to get open and use their body to their advantage, along with the most important factor, their sure hands.

SKILLS

SPEED: 3.5
HANDS: 4.5
AFTER CATCH: 4.5
RANGE: 4.5

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:35 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Pros: Very good size and very big, strong hands. Attacks the ball in the air and is able to make a catch in traffic with a defender draped over him or in double coverage. Has very good hands to make tough catches on balls thrown low or high or along the sideline. Has good speed and quickness which makes him a threat in the open field as well as after the catch. He is tough to bring down and is strong enough to run through tackles but fast enough to avoid them all together. Has the size to have an impact in the running game, and also has good size to shield smaller corners away from the ball.

Cons: Does not have elite top-end speed in my estimation. He looks like a 4.5 guy on tape, which isn’t bad for a receiver that is around 6’2” or 6’3” and 220 pounds. He has a couple of character questions, but they aren’t as serious as other receivers who have gone on have successful careers such as Randy Moss or Terrell Owens. He just needs a mentor or some strong leadership present on the team, or preferably both. I don’t know that he will be able to beat teams deep like Randy Moss was able to do, but he will be a deep threat in same sense that Larry Fitzgerald is a deep threat. However he will need to improve his concentration to eliminate drops on easier passes that require less concentration. Not to mention he will need to improve his route running, but a NFL coach will be able to help him with that.

Overall: It all comes down to how much effort he wants to put in. If he wants to put in the effort (and to me it sounds like he does) then he could be a Pro-Bowl caliber WR in the NFL, especially if he comes into the right situation. But if his effort level is inconsistent he will have some trouble. He is a very dangerous receiver and with more coaching and development he could have a similar impact to what Michael Crabtree had as a rookie once he got into camp. It all has to do with his effort level and his passion to improve.

Projection: Top 15: He has top 10 talent but some questions about his character will drop him a few slots. I can’t imagine him making it past all of Denver, Seattle and New York though. If he does Tennessee, Pittsburgh, Atlanta and Houston will all have to give him serious consideration, because he has Pro-Bowl potential in the NFL.

SKILLS

SPEED: 3.5
HANDS: 4.0
AFTER CATCH: 4.5
RANGE: 4.0

http://tommeltonscouting.wordpress.com/

And check out the NFL Draft site I write for!

http://nfldraftmonsters.com/

Profile E-mail