It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Darren Howard a future Falcon?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:53 am 

Since I subscribe to NFL Draft Blitz they had a list of top free agents and where they may be headed.Its all speculation but something to think about.For the Falcon's the only player they had was Darren Howard.He would certainly boost the pass rush but how do we pay for him?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:42 pm 

Howard would be nice to have assuming he can also contain the runningback on the edges like Brady Smith does. I'm not sure he could be had at an affordable price.

Post subject: Re: Darren Howard a future Falcon?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:57 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

thescout wrote:
Since I subscribe to NFL Draft Blitz they had a list of top free agents and where they may be headed.Its all speculation but something to think about.For the Falcon's the only player they had was Darren Howard.He would certainly boost the pass rush but how do we pay for him?

I paid for a subscription to NFL Draft Blitz last night & can't login to the premium section. Since the main guy won't return my Emails, is there any chance you could tell me how to login? I have a subscription # from PayPal.

Post subject: Read the email I sent you!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:05 am 

Incomparable,sent you an email regarding the situation.Unfortunately I can't help solve it just keep emailing them,they normally get back to you within 24 hrs.Sorry!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:26 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Howard would be a good pickup. He's exactly what the Falcons want in a right side DE. He has the strength and size (6-3/275) to play the run, but has good quickness off the edge. Howard is not super productive this year. He's on pace to finish with 5.5 sacks, but it's not too bad when you consider other guys are the more productive guys on that team (Will Smith is on pace for 9 sacks and Tony Bryant 6.5). Howard had 11 last year, but previously had posted double digit sacks before only once in his rookie year way back in 2000. In that 3-year "drought", he recorded 19 in 40 games, which averages out to be about 7.5 in a single 16-game season. Not bad, but not exactly $12 million signing bonus caliber production.

Last year, the Saints were really close to trading Howard to Dallas for one of their #1s. But I also heard that the Saints were even contemplating accepting a #2 for him. I think Dallas passed on the deal because they thought they could get a DE like Marcus Spears in the draft which was the type of guy they wanted (who could play in both the 3-4 and 4-3 unlike Howard). Reportedly, the Eagles and Raiders offered picks. Eagles offered their #31 pick, while the Raiders offered players (including Charles Woodson).

I suspect the Saints may tag Howard after this season like they did last year, but with the mindset that they will trade him. Will Smith is coming on as their top pass rusher. Charles Grant is having a subpar year (coming off 2 straight double digit sack seasons and on pace for only 4 this year), but both are young and only going to get better.

Howard's trade value has definitely dipped in the past 6 months, so much so that the Saints would be lucky at this point to get a high #2 pick for him. This from KFFL's archives:
KFFL wrote:
Cowboys | Howard Has Big Price Tag Request - from http://www.KFFL.com
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:29:45 -0800

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports the Dallas Cowboys were a little bit surprised once they heard New Orleans Saints DE Darren Howard is looking for a long-term deal that would pay him a $16 million signing bonus. Howard is looking for a six-year, $33 million deal.

He couldn't get close to that now. Not with this year's class. Abraham is the only DE on the market that could possibly command that type of money. And no team in their right mind would fork up a $10 million bonus to a guy that is almost 30 (will be in Nov. 2006) that is probably going to be a 5-8 sack/yr. guy the rest of his career and for most of his career. It was those salary demands that made Howard a Saint today. Not to say, Howard won't still command a bonus in the $7-9 million range just based on his position of course, but nobody is going to fork up huge $$$ for a guy that may not be a #1 pass rusher anymore.

I'd take Howard if we could have him cheaply, but that is probably not going to be the case. The team would be smarter to go after a younger player like a Raheem Brock or Jarvis Green if they want to spend money on a DE. In truth, I believe the Falcons should look for a quality DE in the draft, but getting a top notch starter is not a huge priority IMO. I think improving the rotation is much bigger. Smith was a big part of that, but has been unabe to stay healthy for most of his Falcon career. He should be gone after the year. I think the Falcons can then go out and get a middle-level FA that is a similar player to Smith like a Aaron Kampman (currently 6.5 sacks), Ryan Denney (4 sacks), or Kyle Vanden Bosch (8.5 sacks) that play the run well and can put pressure on the QB. But don't let those stats fool you, in all 3 cases, those players are unlikely to reproduce that type of production on a consistent basis, and should be paid accordingly.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:43 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Well if anyone ever looks at our Draft section on these boards, you would see what our draft should look like.

Linky: http://falcfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1013

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:20 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I think with the drafting of Chauncey Davis and also working Babineaux at DE, it's more of a matter of giving our young one's time. We still might draft another but I don't see a huge free agent coming at DE...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:44 pm 

It wouldn't be a bad idea to add a veteran to the mix. I don't think Davis will ever be a full-time start in the NFL. Babs will be but he's more of a DT then he is a DE. I would like to see Atlanta pickup somebody like Howard. If he can be had for a 2nd rounder I wouldn't blink at that deal.

Post subject: I agree need to add some veteran presence
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:08 pm 

Even though the falcon's have Davis,Shop,Lake,Babs there is no guarentee they are going to develop into the players that are needed at their positions.If Davis was doing anythi ng he would be over Babs at right end yet can't beat Babs out who struggles against the run.Babs seems to light to play def tackle being pushed around,Shop and lake may never develop the way we want.If the falcon's don't add to there talent at def tckle and end they may end up having the same problems next year.

Howard isn't the greatest player and I would not overpay on him,yet could do well since the line has coleman and kerney.We have more talent than New Orleans which will help Howard's effectiveness.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:11 am 

I agree with others. We don't need to make a big splash on our defensive line. I think Babineaux and Davis played beyond most's expectations as rookies, and just like Demorrio, Lavalais, and DeAngelo, will improve entering their 2nd seasons.

I'm actually relatively comfortable entering next year with Davis penciled in as the #1 starter at RDE. I do think that we may need to draft another pass rusher in the middle rounds for depth (Parys Haralson anyone?).

And then also sign a veteran. My suggestion would be Buffalo's Ryan Denney. He has good size, plays the run well as a 2-down defender. Can take over some of that ability that Brady Smith has (I suggest we cut Smith and use the savings elsewhere). Denney is a decent pass rusher, although he'll never be more than a 4-5 sack/yr. guy.

But I think having a strong rotation is the key at the D-line, not having the greatest starters.

I think we might need to add another veteran body in the middle to push some of the young guys, but we don't have to spend an arm and a leg on one. Larry Tripplett is an ideal fit, but probably will be out of our price rang, if we're just loooking for a #4 DT type. Someone like a Cedric Killings to compete with Lake and Shrop at backup NT.

Our run defense has struggled this year, but I don't think it's from a lack of talent. But rather a lack of execution. With Hartwell and Beck returning next year, and 1 or 2 more depth additions, I think we'll be fine.

Profile E-mail