It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any looks at Ron Dayne
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:05 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Dayne had a solid game vs. the Cowboys yesterday, and I think his value on the open market increased signfiicantly. I've been considering him as a potential replacement for Duckett if #45 is traded after the season.

Dayne is not as powerful as Duckett, and we would lose that powerful interior guy in short yardage, but he is quicker and much more capable of breaking the long run.

But first and foremost, is that we have to trade Duckett. And if the Falcons wanted a 1st day pick for him then whichever team we traded him to would feel he could be their primary ballcarrier. And the RB market won't be as strong this year as in past years, particularly for a RB like Duckett. I could see the Eagles, Patriots, Jaguars, Panthers, and possibly Steelers (if Bettis retires) being the teams that would have the most interest in Duckett. The Texans (if their new coach prefers a power game), 49ers, Ravens/Packers (depending on if they re-sign FAs) could also be in the mix.

And unless a team is looking for a starter and believes Duckett can be a 20-25 carry guy, I doubt we would be able to get more than a 4th for Duckett.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:09 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I've always thought Dayne got a raw deal in NY due to Tiki Barber being seated as the starter there, and I liked what he had to say after the Dallas game about "I just wanted to prove that I'm not no bust" or something very similar to that.. That said, I do not want to let Duckett go at all. We spent a 1st round pick on him and to let him go for anything but a first woud make me sick personally. Not only that but I think he could be a feature back, and if we let another team take him & do that then I have a feeling he would kill us everytime we saw him as he is custom built to destroy speed defenses. Dunn is not getting any younger and Ducks has never had the chance to be our #1. I would rather re-sign Dunn for a low price & make him Duckett's relief as Duck has done for him since being drafted....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:22 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

what's amazing is duckett seems content in his role, which i think will lead to this backfield not changing for a while. dunn has yet to lose a step and until we see that loss of step there's no point in talking about his age. we'll see it in his play when the time comes. i think duckett could be a feature back for the falcons but only against certain teams like the bucs. the scat back type player who jukes and finds the hole as they appear along the line is what seems to be generally optimum for this run offense, save for certain teams like the bucs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:23 pm 

Call me crazy but I don't think either Dunn nor Duckett are going anywhere for the conceivable future. Unless Warrick Dunn says "well, I don't really need all that money" we are going to pay a boatload for him until his contract is up. Conversely we have really seen TJ breakthrough this year. In most cases he runs for a good 5 yards even with two guys trying to haul him down and another dragging his leg down.

If Duckett gets holes in the line he is almost garunteed 5 or more yards. If he hits the linebackers with speed he'll go for 10+. The only times I've seen Duckettknocked back is when our O-Line gets knocked back and even then he usually gets 1 or 2.

I never thought I'd say this but... If Dunn can't co-exist with Duckett or become the second option if Duckett wants to be the primary guy we need to re-evaluate Dunn. He's a great guy and has played over his head all career. But Duckett is the future and he's too much of a beast to let go. Duckett is what Dayne should have become; albeit with less speed.

But this off-season I think at most Dunn gets another contract re-structure or even a brand new contract. I don't see Duckett or Dunn going anywhere for the forseeable future. Especially with how much success this combo has had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:25 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I could see Dunn's salary being converted to bonus next season and extended out for 3 years. The only question is how much patience does T.J. have? Sure, he says he's happy but you know deep inside he's dying to start. Should be interesting to see what happens...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:21 am 

Well, I believe that Duckett's contract voids after the '06 season, making him a UFA. So I think he's biding his time.

He probably knows that every year he's the backup the Dunn, the more he should be able to carry the football into his 30s. I think that's one of the reasons why Priest Holmes and Dunn managed to "emerge" so late in their careers, is that they weren't like Eddie George in that they didn't spend their years between 22 and 25 getting the ball 25 and 30 times a game.

Duckett is still very young, as he'll only be 26 when he hits the open market, meaning most teams will believe he has another good 3-5 years as a feature back (as I figure most RBs tanks start to empty at 30).

So he'll just seem content for the '06 season with the notion that he's going to walk as soon as that year is over. I suspect he'll go to the team that promises the most playing time, which is probably going to be the team that pays him the most.

I only suggest trading Duckett because getting some value for him now would be ideal when it's highly doubtful we'll get anything for him 18 months from now.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:08 pm 

Wouldn't Duckett be an RFA coming off his contract? He'll come off a rookie contract with 3+ years experience. I think that makes him an RFA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:52 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I, personally, don't think that we should trade him. We've all seen it, Dunn can't get it "Dunn" in the red zone. Dayne is a Dunn type runner, with his cuts and slices and such. We need a bulldozer who is constant in the redzone. AKA-Duckett

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:42 am 

dirtybirdnw wrote:
Wouldn't Duckett be an RFA coming off his contract? He'll come off a rookie contract with 3+ years experience. I think that makes him an RFA.

No, by the end of 2006, Duckett will 5 years experience in the NFL. All you need is 4 to become a unrestricted free agent. Restricted FAs have 3 years of NFL experience. Exclusive Rights FAs have 2 years or less.

If Duckett had been drafted in 2004, then he would be a RFA after the '06 season, but since he was drafted in '02, he is not and will be a UFA.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:00 pm 

So that is how it works.