It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mooch Fired
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:28 pm 

Mooch gets fired!

It's about time someone in Detroit finally figured out that maybe for once it was the coach and not the players. Let a new era of slightly more enjoyable football begin in Detroit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:59 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

This to me was a stupid move. You shouldn't fire your coach in the middle of the season, especially when he is not the sole one to blame.

On paper, I thought the Lions had done a good job drafting over the recent years, but the bottom line it has been both coaching and personnel evaluation that have contributed to their back-to-back disappointing seasons.

The Lions needed to clean house after the season, look for a new GM and a new head coach. Firing Mariucci now is a poor move. Dick Jauron I guess will take over and this will be like an extended interview for the job.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Mooch
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:51 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I have to say this about Mooch, he was GIVEN a great team in SF. His first season they went 14-2, but lost to GB in the playoffs. He couldn't control T.O. (although who can :evil: ) and his teams went down hill after his first season. People claimed this was salary cap stuff left over from 'the Dynasty' days, but I think Detroit proved that may not have been true.

I can't say if Millen was the soul pusher for 3, yes 3!, first round WR choices in three years but that didn't help Mooch. I really believe that 9 out of 10 times you are going to build a champion with a solid defense before a shoot out offense. Mooch IS NOT a defensive coach and I know for a fact he runs a 'protect the ball' drill every practice. Turnovers kill you, but with the team he has I think they could spend some more time on something other than that.

People keep saying Mooch is a 'great' coach. If he ever builds his own Super Bowl team from a broken franchise then we can talk, but until then he just got a chance to coach Steve Young/Jerry Rice and a strong 49er D right out of the box. That is like saying Mora JR is a 'great' coach. I think there are more than 90% of people on this site that honestly believe they could have come into Atlanta 2 seasons ago and posted the same record as Mora... come on... you know it is in the back of your mind somewhere :lol:

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:04 am 

You make great points MF1.

Mooch was a bit overrated in San Fran. A good coach, but by no means great. But I don't believe that there are too many great coaches out there, and greatness is only determined by how greatly you take advantage of your situation.

You're right about Mora too. Regardless of his coaching ability, I predicted the Falcons to win 10 games in 2004, without ever seeing Mora manage a game. I went into last year thinking that anything less than 9-7 would be a disappointment, but understandable considering the changes that were going on in the front office, on the sidelines, with players, and the classroom.

The hope is that Mora's career in Atlanta won't mirror that of Mooch's in SF by MF1's evaluation. Come out hot, but as time progresses his "average-ness" prevails and the team doesn't it make it to the next level.

But I think it is all proof positive that in order to have success in the NFL, you have to have the right coach and the right guy in the front office calling the shots. Cleveland has done the right thing by gutting the whole organization and going with the Savage-Crennel connection for the forseeable future. The Browns will go as far as both guys can carry them. The Lionns should do the same thing.

You have to wonder what's going thru the owner's head when he doesn't fire the GM responsible for bringing in two bad coaches (Mooch and Morningwheg) from the same bad crop (who's next Knapp?) in San Fran,a nd is also responsible for drafting the players that are coming under fire now (Harrington, MIke Williams, Rogers, etc.)?

I'm not saying Mooch should have kept his job. Had it been up to me, I would have fired his ass (along with Millen) at the end of the year. But dumping him now seems like you're scapegoating, and firing a coach in the middle of the season only solves 1 thing: finding out which coach you won't be hiring next year (i.e. the interim coach, who almost always does a better job than his predecessor). The owners should have kept Mooch and MIllen until the end of the season, make them play the young guys so that whenever the new coach & GM clean house after teh season, they'll know who's worth keeping and who is not.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: DOn't
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:07 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Thanks for the support Pudge, and don't get me wrong as I was never saying Mora Jr wasn't a good coach, just that he needs to prove he is a 'great' coach. You have to think, however, about head coaching as an art. I mean, really, what does a head coach do? 95% don't call plays, 90% don't draft players, and they have every kind of assistant coach under the sun below them to manage every little detail... QB Coach, TE Coach, Offensive Line Coach, etc. It is a strange position to be in. I would say that a true head coach is a leader, someone that men will follow to the end, a motivator, a diplomat, and a guy with skin thick enough to be second guessed on EVERY decision he makes. The hard part in the NFL is this, to become a Head Coach you need to have come up through the ranks of lesser assistants, but just because you are a great by-the-numbers assistant coach DOES NOT mean you can be a Head Coach. I believe you would have just as much luck finding a Head Coach outside of the football world as you would finding one inside it. The only real problem would be the buy in of the players because you have never played or coached before. Still, someone with a true 'cult of personality' could bypass that and lead men. Maybe hire a military man... there have to be some good ones coming out of West Point these days.

Anyway, enough rambling. Millen should be fired as well! A five year extention? What the heck are the Ford's thinking?

MF1

J. Mora JR.