It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lenny Walls
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:36 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Lenny Walls got released today from the Denver Broncos....according to KFFL.com we are one of three teams interested in his serives with the other two teams beign the Raiders and Patriots...the Raiders will get the first shot at him since he is subject to the waiver system but if they pass we will be next in line of the three teams listed...I think he'd be a HUGE help for us...from what I've seen of him he's not the fastest corner but he's big (6'4) and he's not afraid to tackle...he'd be a great nickle corner at the least....I really hope we get this cat, he's young and with some coaching could be a good #2, press coverage style corner...much like Bobby Taylor was...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:57 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Is he a young guy, or older?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:08 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

he's 26....

heres his profile from ESPN..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/p ... atsId=6199

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:10 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I think he looks like he would be a good safety...he has got the size, and supposedly he can tackle...but he doesnt really have the speed

I think it would be an upgrade over Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:23 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

though I can't confirm it I've been told by several people the Raiders have already grabbed him up...if I confim it to be true I will update you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:02 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Hemight be a nice pickup if we could get him, but it makes sense for the Raiders to grab him as they need someone to fill Woodson's vacated spot since he broke his leg....and they have pecking order over us due to their lousy record.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:47 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I confirmed it...he did go to the Raiders...darn it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:29 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Don't be too worried, Walls will be a free agent after the season. He's got a lot of talent, and hasn't yet put it all together on the field, but he has the size and speed you like in a cornerback for matchup reasons. He'd be a great nickel guy, the question is will he make the strides to be a starter.

The Broncos were somewhat confident in him, coming off a season where he only played in 7 games (starting once) due to injuries. They let go of Kelly Herndon, who is now a starter for the much improved Seahawks defense. They drafted 3 CBs with their first 3 picks in the draft this past April, so that showed you they weren't ultra-confident in Walls, coupled with the fact they only signed him to a 1-year contract (his RFA tender).

But the question with Walls is durability. He missed 4 games this year with a groin injury and 9 games last year with shoulder injury. If the Falcons were to pursue him in the off-season, they would be wary at throwing starting money at him (i.e. signing bonus exceeding $4 million) for those reasons.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:31 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

well I never really wanted to throw a lot of money at him...I don't see him being much more than a nickle at first since I knew he hadn't seen the field a whole lot...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:26 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Steve-O wrote:
well I never really wanted to throw a lot of money at him...I don't see him being much more than a nickle at first since I knew he hadn't seen the field a whole lot...

But he is younger...so who knows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:55 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I guess there is a chance that he could develop but he's a Raider at this point so there's not much he could do for us...now if he makes it to the FA market in the off season he'd be a good pick-up if he came cheap...but I don't want him getting a lot of money...he's yet to show he deserves it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:21 am 

Well the Raiders let him go, because he did not pass his physical. The groin injury he suffered on Oct. 23 hasn't healed properly. Here's the story: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... G0PI61.DTL

That means the Falcons are free to sign him if they wish. Just because he failed his physical with on e team doesn't mean he can't make another. As you may recall, Barry Stokes failed his physical with the Giants and was cut and 2 weeks later the Falcons picked him up. I also recall that the Patriots had a particularly difficult physical to pass a few years ago, back when Belichick was under fire (I think a year before their first Super Bowl win) for being to much of a taskmaster.

So the Falcons could choose to pursue Walls. I believe that if Walls isn't healthy enough to play this year, the Falcons could sign him and then put him on the IR. He was after all on the Broncos IR when he was cut. But I guess with him being a free agent after teh season, the Falcons need to see him on the field in order to find out if they should re-sign him...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:32 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I saw that he got placed back on waivers but at this point I doubt we'd sign him to sit the rest of the year...he doesn't do us any good there and we'll have our nickle back(s) back with the team next year and there might not be a place for him then...I really just wanted him on the team for the playoff run because I am sure just about anyone would be better than Rossum...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:03 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Steve-O wrote:
I saw that he got placed back on waivers but at this point I doubt we'd sign him to sit the rest of the year...he doesn't do us any good there and we'll have our nickle back(s) back with the team next year and there might not be a place for him then...I really just wanted him on the team for the playoff run because I am sure just about anyone would be better than Rossum...

We'll see how desperate the front office is for our secondary