It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rushing w/o Vick & Random Stats
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:28 pm 

Just some interesting stats that I put together while waiting for the last 30 minutes to pass before lunch.

Atlanta's Rushing Offense: #1 (2,014 Total Yards/183.1 YPG)
*We have a 190 or so yard advantage on Denver who is in 2nd*

Atlanta's Rushing Offense w/o Vick: #4 (1,580 Total Yards/143.6 YPG)

Notes
Mike Vick has 434 total rushing yards and a 5.9 YPC with 4 Touchdowns.
Warrick Dunn has 1049 total rushing yards and a 5.2 YPC with 3 Touchdowns.
TJ Duckett has 337 total rushing yards and a 4.1 YPC with 6 Touchdowns.

Atlanta is currently 5th in the NFL for TD's scored by rushing and is #1 for rushes 20+ yards with 16 (Denver is second with 15). Atlanta also leads the league in rushing 1st downs.

Conversly Atlanta is tied for 10th in the NFL for passing TD's with 15. We are also tied for 4th overall in interceptions thrown. All this while we are 28th in passing yards per game, total passing yardage; and 27th for passing completion percentage.

Warrick Dunn is the 4th best runner in the NFL and is 245 yards behind league leader Shaun Alexander.

TJ Duckett is tied for 8th in the NFL in rushing Touchdowns. Mike Vick is tied for 10th in the NFL for rushing Touchdowns.

Mike Vick is the 16th highest rated passer in the NFL with an 81.2 Quarterback Rating (Better then Eli Manning, Kerry Collins, Brett Favre, David Carr, Trent Dilfer, Chris Simms, and Aaron Brooks among others). Vick is also tied for 9th in the NFL in passing touchdowns.

Alge Crumpler is the 3rd best receiving Tight End behind Gates (823 Yards) and Shockey (713 Yards); while ahead of Tony Gonzo (618). Crumpler is also the 4th best in TD catches for a TE behind Gates/Shockey (7) and Heath Miller (6).

Only Todd Peterson is perfect in field goal conversions in the NFL at 16/16. Rackers is second at 32/33.

Rossum is in danger of falling out of the Top 10! Rossum is tied for 8th with 9.2 yards per punt return. For kick returning Rossum is our top guy and is damn near last place. The return unit for the first time in a while could be considered POOR.

Post subject: Special
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:30 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

There certainly has been nothing 'special' about our Special Teams this season. If it had been as strong this year as in years past we could have a better record by 2 games I would say.

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:58 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

A couple of times there you used the word "best," as in, "Warrick Dunn is the 4th best runner in the NFL and is 245 yards behind league leader Shaun Alexander." I don't think that's fair, to judge individual players based on total yardage. The team environment (quality of offensive line, how often coaches run, whether team is ahead or behind) has too much to do with it.

Last year Curtis Martin led the NFL in rushing, 1 yard ahead of Shaun Alexander. If Alexander had gotten one more carry and picked up 2 or 3 more yards, would that automatically make him "better" than Curtis Martin?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:47 am 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Offense has really improved. Vick has done everything I've wanted to see so far. I think he'll only get better.

The defense is banged up beyond belief. Very shaky part of the team.

Special teams need help in the return game, hopefully, that's going to come together soon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:28 pm 

vverhei wrote:
A couple of times there you used the word "best," as in, "Warrick Dunn is the 4th best runner in the NFL and is 245 yards behind league leader Shaun Alexander." I don't think that's fair, to judge individual players based on total yardage. The team environment (quality of offensive line, how often coaches run, whether team is ahead or behind) has too much to do with it.

Last year Curtis Martin led the NFL in rushing, 1 yard ahead of Shaun Alexander. If Alexander had gotten one more carry and picked up 2 or 3 more yards, would that automatically make him "better" than Curtis Martin?

Much anger I sense in this one.

I was using general terms and if you wanted to look at best overall rushers considering yardage, yards per gain, and touchdowns this is what you get:

Top 5 Rusher (Total Yards)
#1 Shaun Alexander (1,339 Yards)
#2 Edgerrain James (1,240 Yards)
#3 Tiki Barber (1,118 Yards)
#4 Warrick Dunn (1,094 Yards)
#5 Ladanian Tomlinson (1,086 Yards)

Top 5 Rushers (Average Yards Per Carry)
#1 Tatum Bell (6.0)
#2 Mike Vick (5.9)
#3 Warrick Dunn (5.2)
#4 Shaun Alexander & Larry Johnson (5.1)
#5 Tiki Barber (5.0)
*LT is 7th with 4.6 and Edge is 8th with 4.5)

Top 5 Scoring Rushers (Rushing Touchdowns)
#1 Shaun Alexander (20 TD's)
#2 Ladanian Tomlinson (17 TD's)
#3 Stephen Davis (12 TD's)
#4 Edge James (11 TD's)
#5 Larry Johnson & Lamont Jordan (9 TD's)

So if you ask me from a pure running aspect the top three numbers for ranking runningbacks would be Total Yardage, Yards Per Carry, Touchdowns. In that respect the top 5 is as follows (The brackest are rankings for each category so 1st, 2nd, 1st is rankings for total yards, yards per carry, touchdowns):

#1 Shaun Alexander (1st, 4th, 1st)
#2 Edge James (2nd, 7th, 4th)
#3 Ladanian Tomlinson (5th, 7th, 2nd)
#4 Larry Johnson (6th, 4th, 5th)
#5 Tiki Barber (3rd, 5th, 11th)
#6 Warrick Dunn (3rd, 3rd, 23rd)

It's really how you look at it. Granted Dunn is hurt because he doesn't get as many goaline or TD opportunities as the other players listed. If you were looking at total yardage and yards per carry only it would look more like....

#1 Shaun Alexander (1st, 4th)
#2 Warrick Dunn (3rd, 3rd)
#3 Tiki Barber (3rd, 5th)
#4 Edge James (2nd, 7th)
#5 Larry Johnson (6th, 4th)

I would still argue that Larry Johnson could be the best of that group as he hasn't been a starter very long and split carries with Priest Holmes much of the season. I wouldn't be surprised if Larry ended up as a Top 3 back at the end of the season. Warrick Dunn might rank better IMO if Duckett wasn't around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:47 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Here is another interesting stat about Vick.

If we exclude the jets game his completion % jumps from 57.1% to 58.8%. His QB rating jumps from 81.2 to 89.9. Without that game he would still have his 12 passing TD's but he would only have 4 INT's.

If this were the case Vick would be 9th in the league in rating, would put him at 22nd in the league for completion % and his 4 INTS would be tied for the league low.

Last edited by FalconsAreTheBest on Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:54 pm 

It is safe to say that nobody can fault Vick for any of our woes this season. He's gone through some spats of questionable logic. But for the most part he's been spot on this year and definitely shown strides in his game.

I promise today that I won't bag on Vick for the rest of the season unless he reallllyyyy merits it (aka the Jets game).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:11 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

dirtybirdnw wrote:
It is safe to say that nobody can fault Vick for any of our woes this season. He's gone through some spats of questionable logic. But for the most part he's been spot on this year and definitely shown strides in his game.

I promise today that I won't bag on Vick for the rest of the season unless he reallllyyyy merits it (aka the Jets game).

we are gonna hold you to that Dirty... : :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:34 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Yeah, Vick hasn't been perfect these past 4 games, but about as close as he's probably going to get. I think his accuracy has suffered in the past 2 contests, but he's making smarter decisions with the football.

I'm not going to give Vick a free pass the rest of the season. But we've seen a lot of positives.

The next step in his development is not just play at that level for 4 games, but for 16. It's going to be interesting to see how long he keeps it up.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:03 pm 

I think we are seeing Vick doing the best with what he has at receiver. That is a pair of raw receivers and a veteran with about as average skills as one could ask for. As Roddy & Michael improve so will Vick. I'd like to think that one day those two turn out to be the NFL's next-generation Holt/Bruce combination. If that happens god help any defense that plays us.