It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Arthur, you need to take your own advice
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:29 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Wanna be 'tough'? Then make 'tough' decisions.

Mike Smith SHOULD have been fired immediately after the Clowns won...I used to see the reasoning in waiting until the end of the season..But not anymore. Im quite serious.

There is no benefit from keeping him around. In fact, he is hurting this team's chances at the postseason.

This team has quit on him.

I count 11 times that I can recall Smitty making terrible came clock decisions that opened the door for the other team to win. Two times this year, and on foreign soil, no less. Sorry, folks, that is inexcusable. I really do not care to hear the defenders, because this is not a rare occurance, it is a trend. The truth hurts. We almost lost the only playoff win he have due to mind boggling decisions...

at this point, answer this question honestly: if coach Shrek was canned today, and Koetter as well, and just gave the reigns to Matt Ryan, who here thinks it would be a 'negative'? I don't. I truly believe that Ryan can run this team like Peyton. in fact, it would be a wise decision.

Or, for that matter, if you simply have to have a HC, then let Tice do it.

I would invite Smith out to dinner, pat him on the back, and say 'sorry Mike, but we have to move on.'. I would then drive to Matt Ryan's house, and say 'your in charge now. I'm giving you 100 million reasons to rally this team and make the playoffs. Ride and die. Right now. '

It sends a message to the rest of the team and any prospective coaches that mediocrity is no longer tolerated at Flowery Branch. It's being 'tough'.

So Arthur, if you want really want the team to be 'tough', then it's time to make those tough decisions.

Post subject: Re: Arthur, you need to take your own advice
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:13 am 
Superstar
Superstar

First time ever, I gotta say I couldn't agree more.

I'm a Devin Hester guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:58 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I thought it was awesome when Steve Tasker & Steve Beuerlein called out the coaches when they showed Matt's first half numbers vs his second half numbers. The first thing he said was the coaching staff takes blame for that for the simple fact that they are not making the necessary halftime/ in-game adjustments. We have all been saying this for years but to get this lack of production out of the same personnel group on the field is absurd. Time for a change point blank!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:02 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

fun gus wrote:
There is no benefit from keeping him around. In fact, he is hurting this team's chances at the postseason.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Never stop being a true fan, fun gus. After all, fan is short for fanatic.

fun gus wrote:
I truly believe that Ryan can run this team like Peyton.

Sure, if he had an entire offseason to prepare for it. But in the middle of the season? :snooty:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:10 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

Pudge wrote:
fun gus wrote:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Never stop being a true fan, fun gus. After all, fan is short for fanatic.

fun gus wrote:
I truly believe that Ryan can run this team like Peyton.

Sure, if he had an entire offseason to prepare for it. But in the middle of the season? :snooty:

Okay, smartass. Let's hear what the man himself had to say:

Smith began his Monday news conference by addressing the issue.

"Before I open up for questions, I would like to address the last 55 seconds of the game. After reflecting and analyzing on how that played out, I would have done some things differently, given the opportunity to think about it through the night and doing some analyzing," Smith said. "I didn't do the things that needed to be done to put our guys in the best position to win the game. There's lot of plays in a football game that can affect the outcome, and I didn't do my best to help us win yesterday."

Smith was asked how difficult it was to realize his mistake.

"Again, you go through it and you make decisions and they're made on the fly, and it was a decision that didn't give us the best opportunity to win," Smith said. "And as a coach, it is your intention to always put your players in the best position to win. There were a lot of plays in that game, and it usually comes down to a handful of plays. And I didn't put the guys in the best position."

It was odd for the Falcons not to have a third-and-2 play ready, even despite the pressure of the moment.

"Again, guys, we wanted to get the best, what we felt like was the best play for us," Smith said. "Again, as I mentioned, I didn't do my job as the head football coach and put our guys in the best position that they possibly could be in in that situation. And it's my responsibility as the head coach to make sure that that happens."

so, who is the real 'fanatic' here? Me, or the guy who needed a 'day' to 'think through his awful decision'? :roll: :lol:

So, if Smith has been fired after the Lions screwup ( which even you would have to admit was another mistake, and a qualified 'firable' offense ) then he's not there to make this mistake this time, hence he is by default HURTING the postseason chances. That's not 'speculation', that's not 'conjecture', that is fact. Now, I can tell your defense is going to be along the lines of 'well, we don't beat any of these teams without Smith standing tall behind the helm'. Which, is specious..We couldn't 'beat' the Buccs or the Panthers without Coach Shrek? Horsecrap. I think Ryan could take the reigns RIGHT NOW and do just as well, if not better,then with Smith in the phones. At least division-wise.

I mean, playing the powerhouse Panthers: how did we fare?

ONE TD
, all the other points were FG's. Surely Smith's 'explosively tough tenacious' bullspit marketing-based slogan offense SHOULD be able to do more with all these weapons. But, no we work Matt Bryant's foot off..

Most of the time, when we go no-huddle, or we let Ryan call the shots, he seems to do okay. Why would that not be the case now? Because of NFL 'conventional thinking'? Well, frankly, that is part of the problem.

Matt Ryan is just as capable of running this offense as Mike soon to be sh*tcanned Smith. He has the ability to realize mistakes, and try to do something different, and adjust. Smith and Turd Koetter have proven not to be up to the task.

I find your faith in Smith disturbing, young Padawan :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:40 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hypothetical: Ryan throws the ball deep enough and hits Hester--who was open--and Hester catches the ball that hits him in the hands--unlike a couple weeks back. What are we saying about Smith then? He finally grew a pair and quit being over conservative? You don't fire a coach because of one gaffe or even two--unless your name is Rankin Smith. The reason you fire a coach is his systematic approach is not returning adequate dividends. For this, I see firing Smitty. Blowing a a game or two and blowing your stack and firing a guy earns you a reputation that will make future quality coaching candidates a bit more disinclined to want to work for you.

All this press conference gleaned this and that is like listening to the President's speeches to determine what his methodology is. They are related but really not minutely related. They throw enough bones to the wolf pack to satisfy them and then go back behind closed doors and do what they do. It would not surprise me entirely in Blank strongly suggested Smitty make such a statement to the press. He's been known to have a coach go to the front of the class and sit in a dunce chair before (Mora).