It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Antone out for year, Alford out 2-4 weeks
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:23 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/arti ... 7e665f34dd

The news wasn't all positive out of Flowery Branch after a second-straight win on Monday as head coach Mike Smith announced two injuries that will affect the Falcons moving forward.

Running back Antone Smith has a broken leg and will be placed on season-ending injured reserve. Smith was injured on a special teams play in Sunday's win over Carolina.

Starting cornerback Robert Alford will miss two-to-four weeks with a wrist injury. He left Sunday's game in the first quarter. Mike Smith expects Robert McClain to take over the cornerback spot in Alford's absence.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Antone out for year, Alford out 2-4 weeks
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:26 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

See? See? See?

I told you it was too risky to use Smith on offense. Now who's gonna make ST tackles?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:50 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I think Smith should have played full time back on offense, and let someone else make special team tackles. You got to admit he made a lot of long plays on very few carries?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:19 am 
Superstar
Superstar

I still don't understand why he wasn't starting. Can't pass block? You've had like 6 years to fix that problem. Bad coaching.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:43 am 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

samedi wrote:
See? See? See?

I told you it was too risky to use Smith on offense. Now who's gonna make ST tackles?

Weems

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:51 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

:clap:

again, let's shoot for playful.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:55 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

RobertAP wrote:
I still don't understand why he wasn't starting. Can't pass block? You've had like 6 years to fix that problem. Bad coaching.

No, he should never have been starting: He's not a 20+ carry-a-game back, for reasons that are now pretty obvious (nagging injuries). Neither are Freeman or Quiz. He certainly should not have started over Turner, though using him as a third-down back would--clearly--have been a good choice.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:51 pm 

RobertAP wrote:

Ooooooooooooooooooor....

It's the fact that Antone Smith is a 5-9, 192-pound running back that lacks power and strength. And when he tries to step up and block a 240-pound linebacker, or 270-pound defensive end, or even a 300-pound defensive tackle, he is easily overwhelmed.

Smith's struggles in pass protection are physical, not mental. The same can be said about Devonta Freeman. That was the case at Florida State. It's not to say that a small player is doomed to be a bad pass protector, as clearly Jacquizz Rodgers shows that is not the case. But some guys have it, a lot more don't. And "good coaching" can only do so much if it's not already within the player from the jump.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:36 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Pudge wrote:
RobertAP wrote:

Ooooooooooooooooooor....

It's the fact that Antone Smith is a 5-9, 192-pound running back that lacks power and strength. And when he tries to step up and block a 240-pound linebacker, or 270-pound defensive end, or even a 300-pound defensive tackle, he is easily overwhelmed.

Smith's struggles in pass protection are physical, not mental. The same can be said about Devonta Freeman. That was the case at Florida State. It's not to say that a small player is doomed to be a bad pass protector, as clearly Jacquizz Rodgers shows that is not the case. But some guys have it, a lot more don't. And "good coaching" can only do so much if it's not already within the player from the jump.

:clap:
Smith is like the guy who hits a couple dramatic pinch hit homeruns and everybody wonders why he doesn't start at catcher every day. May sound weird but I think his "stats" are just freakishly skewered on the front side. Any rational human being would see this. Can he be deployed more effectively? Yes. But it gets harder to hide players in personel packages when they have a few plays like he has and the team owner starts gushing to the press about him. Unfortunately with Blank you have a naïve fan's perspective coupled with a god emperor's clout.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:58 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

backnblack wrote:
. But it gets harder to hide players in personel packages when they have a few plays like he has and the team owner starts gushing to the press about him. Unfortunately with Blank you have a naïve fan's perspective coupled with a god emperor's clout.

You really think it's this and not opposing coaches looking at the film of the few explosive plays ATL has had this year? :beef:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:08 pm 
Draught Guru
Draught Guru

I dunno, it is hard to make a case the guy should not have gotten more snaps due to his 'fragility': the guy was a ST gunner for 6 years? This may be a case where as Pudge likes to say 'injuries are random' :whistle:

And, was it just me, or did when they 'decided' to use 'Tone more after Blank had come out and had him trying to run up the middle more then bouncing outside? Like maybe the other teams had caught on to that, so they mixed it up, but that's what we have Quizz for...?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:10 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

You are reading me wrong, samedi. Maybe I should have said it gets harder to hide him after having explosive plays as well as the owner gushing. But, yes, teams def schemed for him and, yes, it also seemed to me that running him up the guy seemed to happen as a way to "get him touches" when this doesn't seem to make so much sense. He has been ineffective running outside also. Not trying to dis the guy just saying it isn't like we have Darren Sproles hidden away on the depth chart. People want Quizz to be explosive like Antoine and other small backs but Quizz has abilities that are uncommon for a man his size. He is no superstar but I've always thought he was a solid role player...versatile. When he is in the playbook is all available. With A. Smith...not so much.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:31 am 
Superstar
Superstar

In summary we draft s*** running backs?? When was the last time we drafted a good one? Maybe William Andrews in the 3rd round back around 1980, 30 years ago??

Crap my manuals are misplaced, guessing years will be a joke?? Someone else we used a #1 on and he missed the first years till Andrews got hurt. Anyway, we don't have a record a drafting many good positions,
some might say middle linebacker, Nobis, Brooking, and the guy before
Brooking and before and after Nobis. Anyway 12 year starters for 3 players at middle linebacker.

Nobis has been screwed the most not being in the H.O.F.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:52 am 

I don't think anybody denies that the Falcons underutilized Antone as well as how they utilized him.

Being an NFL running back is really about getting "extra" yards. Anybody can run through a wide open alley or lane. That takes little to no skill. But being a successful NFL running back is about getting the "hidden" yards that aren't so wide open. Being able to find daylight when it's barely there, and/or creating it when it's not. The latter comes usually from being able to run with power and get yards after contact, or with elusiveness, which involves lateral quickness and the ability to juke defenders when given space.

Smith doesn't possess either of these traits, thus why earlier posts I made this year, is that he's not really a running back. Coupled with the fact that he's the 4th best pass-protector among the RBs, putting him on the field to block is actually holding back the offense. It's no different than Turner with his hands. If he's in the game and being asked to catch passes, it's making your team worse.

What Smith does possess is excellent speed and acceleration. If he can run in a straight line, he's extremely effective. It's also why he's such an effective gunner and player on special teams coverage, because so much of that is running in a straight line as fast as you can.

The Falcons failure was not to simply give him more carries, but in trying to devise ways to take advantage of that lone strength/asset that Smith had. Running him up the gut was just dumb. Barring a huge alley being created by our blockers (a rarity this season), he would just run into the pile.

fun gus wrote:
I dunno, it is hard to make a case the guy should not have gotten more snaps due to his 'fragility': the guy was a ST gunner for 6 years? This may be a case where as Pudge likes to say 'injuries are random' :whistle:

I apologize if I'm misreading your intent, but just to be clear, Antone's injury is/was random. I've attached a GIF of the play in which he injured himself, in which Dezmen Southward rolled into his leg.

Antone has covered over 120 punts over the past 3.5 seasons with the Falcons, yet on this particular one a guy hit his leg at the exact correct angle to cause a break. If that doesn't qualify as random, then I don't know what does.

Now, if your point is to say that he wouldn't have suffered that particular injury at that particular time if he was not allowed to cover punts, then you are correct. But again, this is a football field. There is no place where you can avoid injury. The very nature of the sport makes injury inevitable. It's only the severity of the injury that is in doubt, and again, that's random.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:08 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cyril wrote:
In summary we draft s*** running backs?? When was the last time we drafted a good one? Maybe William Andrews in the 3rd round back around 1980, 30 years ago??

Crap my manuals are misplaced, guessing years will be a joke?? Someone else we used a #1 on and he missed the first years till Andrews got hurt. Anyway, we don't have a record a drafting many good positions,
some might say middle linebacker, Nobis, Brooking, and the guy before
Brooking and before and after Nobis. Anyway 12 year starters for 3 players at middle linebacker.

Nobis has been screwed the most not being in the H.O.F.

Kenny Flowers out of Clemson? Hanspard was a high pick but not first round. We drafted that RB named Vick #1. :wink: