It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: no vertical passing
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:41 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

once again no vertical passing to keep the defense honest allows them to crowd a 10 yard area of the field. if Knapp doesn't let Vick let 5 balls fly deep a game we are going to continue to get nailed in the box.

my plan is this. even though we should be able to beat them I say we pull a few new wrinkles out against the Saints so the Bears have to change their gameplan on how to defend us.

throw the ball deep early and often. if you complete 2 of 5 deep balls on 1st or 2nd down we will flip the field on the Saints and not give the ball up in the meantime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:28 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Yeah, the coaches are so scared of turning the ball over that it is hurting our entire offense. Most of our turnovers have come on plays within 15 yards of the LOS, but of course the line will have to block long enough to let it happen. It's no wonder Vick is nervous & has happy feet in the pocket...who wouldn't with this line? And to think I really believed they had turned a corner earlier this year, turns out they were just playing average D-lines for the most part...Dolphins, Bucs, Panthers, & more have obliterated the line this year; usually with only their front four.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:58 pm 

Anybody ever think it is an issue of respect? We certainly need to try and stretch the field more often. Here is the BUT, do NFL defenses have any respect for our receivers? Jenkins has a reputation for the dropsies and Roddy is a rookie. I think the answer is no the NFL does not respect our receivers. So regardless of whether or not we go deep they will still cover our receivers with man coverage and load up the box.

If anything we need to come out with a bigger receiver spread. If we have two receivers on the field they can still bring 8 without batting an eye. If we have three receivers on the field they have to think it over and risk being burned over the middle. Until our receivers become consistent threats how deep we throw the ball won't matter much.

We need to take shots but it won't do us a whole lot of good if defenses are going man and our receivers can't get it done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:08 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

There's only one way to make them respect the receivers.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:10 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I agree, we need to see more 3, 4, and 5-WR sets out of this offense. I know Knapp & Mora don't like to take Crump off the field, so whenever we go to 4 or 5 wide, Dunn is usually that extra reciver.

But I liked seeing Crumpler split out wide, and I think Dunn needs to do it more often.

But I suspect we won't see much of that this upcoming week because of the issues we had on the OL. Was I mistaken or did Barry Stokes start at RT the past 2 weeks? Is that contributing? When is Weiner coming back?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:55 pm 

I agree with you on splitting out Crumpler, Pudge. Just because he is a tight end doesn't mean we can't stick him in a receiver slot and run a play. Heck it might even cause a defense to get a little confused and unsure about their own coverage. I'd like to see a nickelback stop Crumpler on any route.

As far as the Weiner/Stokes thing AF.com lists Todd Weiner as starter at RT for week 13 but noted Stokes the starter in Week 12. I'm guessing Stokes is the primary guy to give Weiner a breather whenever needed; but, Weiner started last week.