It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:56 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

It's interesting too because I believe it was 2 weeks ago that Haslett indicated Brooks was his guy through and through. He said he did not forsee a reason to get reps for Adrian McPherson this year. Well, it seems how quickly things change.

And the thing not being related to his Benson comments is probably made up.

If there was a time to bench Brooks, it would have been prior to the Falcon game, after he threw 4 INTs vs. the Bucs. But why after a game, where Brooks had a decent performance and the offense looked unbeatable on 1 drive at the end of the 1st half? Seems awfully fishy to me.

There is a lot of talk amongst Saints fans about Brooks not being back in 2006. Well I don't think that's going to happen. I believe that Aaron Brooks will be the Saints starting QB in September 2006. Who are they going to get to replace him? Bouman? McPherson? Whether the Saints choose to admit it or not, they'd be lucky to attract any decent free agent this off-season. Why would any FA choose a team with no home, a bad owner, and a lame duck head coach? Particularly a new starting QB. Short of the Saints cutting Brooks and drafting a QB in Round 1 or 2, they won't have a new starting QB.

Some time ago I think it was PFT that made the connection of Brooks coming to Atlanta if cut by the Saints. I think a few here said they wouldn't want him. But I would. I think he'd make a great backup, he has in the past. And although he is prone to mental mistakes, despite it he is still a very gifted QB. He fits the offense extremely well (if you think Vick fits well), would be quickly surrounded by a good comfort zone on this team with his cousin and ex teammates, and wouldn't have the pressures of leading a team to the playoffs.

I think too many people mistake how a QB plays as a starter over the course of 16 games with how they would play as a backup over the course of 2 or 3. Look at Quincy Carter, Gus Frerotte, Rick Mirer, A.J. Feeley. All great examples of QBs that played notably bad when they were given long-term starting positions, but when asked to fill in for a few games they have played lights out.

Two more names to consider: Trent Green and Rich Gannon. Two guys that were rather average early in the careers, but with a change in scenery and acquired experience over the years turned out to be at their heights two of the best players at their position. I think when you look at two "bums" like Brooks and Harrington, that sort of upside is there because both are far and away much more talented than Green or Gannon are/were.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:37 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

McPherson is just too talented not to give a shot at the starting job.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:04 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Over the past five years, I've been subjected to the kind of cruel and unusal punishment no man should have to endure. Being in Biloxi in the midst of the nest of Saintsdom, and having a lady friend who was a Saints fan, I've had to watch them a lot more than I would have cared to. :-)

That said, I've watched Brooks an awful lot and I told my lady that the Saints would never make it to the big show with either Brooks or Haslett in the mix. Looks as if I was right on both counts as they both seem to be on their way out.

btw, last I heard about it, Brooks is benched for the year, not just this week.