It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Should we go after Kelley Washington?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:28 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

He's been lost in the shuffle of the Bengals WRs which is every seeming to change which backups emerge from year to year. Last year, he caught 31 passes for 378 yards (12.2 avg) and 3 TDs. This year, in 4 games, he's caught 5 passes for 49 yards (9.8 avg).

He's an RFA after this season, and the Bengals would be compensated with a 3rd round pick if another team signed him.

But that doesn't mean the Falcons have to give up that high a pick for him. If they negotiate a trade with Cincy, they could get him for anything. He's big (6-3/215) and I thought had a ton of upside coming out of Tennessee (more so than Donte Stallworth). Attitude problems have been red flags with him in the past, but supposedly he's taking his demotion to #4 WR about as well as you could expect.

One of the problems with Washington is injuries.

He missed a lot of time last year as a rookie with a shoulder injury. It caused him to miss some time in the off-season. He came back and June and reportedly played well amid speculation he wouldn't last through camp. Then he missed a lot of time in August due to a hamstring problem. And he's battle a tooth injury this year, missing some time 2 weeks ago for getting a wisdom tooth removed. But he's been inactive for 8 games this year, and one expects the Bengals will look for a way to move him after the season.

But I'd be willing to give up a 5th round pick for Washington. I realize that we are on track to have Jenkins and White as a starters for the forseeable future, but Washington may be more talented than both put together and I think would heads and heels above any 5th round pick we could choose this April.

Thoughts???

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:23 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Hey, I have a wisdom tooth that is cracked & 1/4th of it is missing, and root remains there & is black with cavity. By all medical estimations I should be in agonizing pain, but I have a decent pain threshold. If this guy is missing football over a tooth then he is not a football player & does not need to be on this team. Of course we could always try him out for Safety since he would probably fit right in with them........lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:48 am 
Role Player
Role Player

absolutely. if the falcons can give up a fifth rounder....do it. in fact, i think they should give up a third rounder. he has a lot of talent, big and fast. he is probably more talented than any receiver we have. i'd take him in a heartbeat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:36 pm 

I wouldn't mind getting Kelley Washington. He would more or less replace Brian Finneran in the lineup when Fin decided to call it a career.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:36 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I wanted us to draft him in 02. Instead we got Scott.

I remember on the old ESPN board me and Dante080 were the only ones who wanted Washington but everyone told us his neck injury was more serious then anyone would let you believe and they claimed he had a bunch of off the field issues. (Charles Rogers anyone?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:42 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

vickisthebest wrote:
I wanted us to draft him in 02. Instead we got Scott.

I remember on the old ESPN board me and Dante080 were the only ones who wanted Washington but everyone told us his neck injury was more serious then anyone would let you believe and they claimed he had a bunch of off the field issues. (Charles Rogers anyone?)

Sure sounds like it. I really hope Scott pans out for us, but it seems like the new ownership & FO do not really care for the Reeves guys (Scott & Duckett) other than Vick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:51 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

if we can get him for a 5 then go for it....otherwise I don't know that we really need another reciever....Pathon is a good enough 4 and Finneran seems settled into his 3 role nicely....why mess with it...McKay has show he can do wonders with mid round picks...why not let him work is magic and dig us up another good defensive player....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:05 am 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I think we are fine at WR for now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:55 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Capologist wrote:
I think we are fine at WR for now...

I agree with you, Cap.

Back to the toughness issue, did anyone happen to see the show last night about the HS QB named Tebow who has decided to go to Florida? THAT is one tough Jose! Played a game with a nasty fractured Fibula (same bone Vick broke) and even scored a TD on a 20+ yard run.

He didn't talk like a Rhodes Scholar, but he's a tough ball player.

Dennis