Vick in his the first 8 starts of a season:

19-8-1 (69.6%)

Vick after 8 starts:

11-7 (61.1%)

Vick after 10 starts:

6-6 (50%)

Vick after 12 starts:

3-4 (42.9%)

This does not include his phantom start vs. the Seahawks in 2004 at the end of the season. This is not the Falcons record in the first half of the season, but rather what Vick does in his first 8 starts of the year (so his 3-1 record in 2003 goes to "1st half" record rather than after 12 starts).

So basically, with Vick in the "first half" of the season, we are a 11-win team (about 70% wins in a 16 game schedule), but quickly dip to a 7-win team by the last month or so (about 43% over 16 games).

This is not to say that the late season struggles this team has had are because of Vick, or that other aspects of the team aren't slipping as the year goes by, but I think since so much of this team revolves around #7, I bet this one does too.

Al Miller is considered one of the best in the biz, but I think the coaching and strength staff need to start to re-examine some of their practices for leading up to the season and at the end of the year, because this team hasn't finished well over the past several years.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:42 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Good stats man, great post. Vick is starting to draw my ire for obvious reasons. I backed him to no end his entire career, but he needs to make plays more consistently. He will never be considered a great player if he continues to get shut down by good defenses regardless of how terrible his teamates are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:27 am 
Veteran
Veteran

The_Incomparable wrote:
Good stats man, great post. Vick is starting to draw my ire for obvious reasons. I backed him to no end his entire career, but he needs to make plays more consistently. He will never be considered a great player if he continues to get shut down by good defenses regardless of how terrible his teamates are.

Think about what you just said Comp. I agree that Vick needs to be more consistent but football has been and always will be a team sport. I dont care how good the star player is, there is no way that any consistency can come about with one superstar and 10 no names. Now I am also not saying that the Falcons are no names but they do have a ways to go. If Vick doesnt show me something this coming season now that he has the WR needed then I will start thinking a change may need to be made. Vick is already considered a great player. To get to superstar status, thats a different story. :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:47 pm 

A lot of Vick problems originate with the offensive line and pretty horrid pass blocking. The Falcons offensive lines have turned in their three worst performances against the Panthers, Bucs, and Bears. Light & Fast defenses are tearing up our "light & fast" offensive line.

We can be a speed offense even if we have a pack of elephants on the offensive line. They don't need to be fast just capable of either pankcaking defenders or sitting on them for an extended period of time. We really would be much better served playing with a line like KC has versus this fast & mobile crap we have now. Vick doesn't have to run around if all the pass rushers are stuck underneath a 315lb+ tackle/guard.

Our offense line mentality could be one of the biggest broken wheels of this team. Gibbs is an offensive line master mind but it doesn't work for what we have. It falls apart against great defenses. We need a big line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:43 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

dirtybirdnw wrote:
A lot of Vick problems originate with the offensive line and pretty horrid pass blocking. The Falcons offensive lines have turned in their three worst performances against the Panthers, Bucs, and Bears. Light & Fast defenses are tearing up our "light & fast" offensive line.

We can be a speed offense even if we have a pack of elephants on the offensive line. They don't need to be fast just capable of either pankcaking defenders or sitting on them for an extended period of time. We really would be much better served playing with a line like KC has versus this fast & mobile crap we have now. Vick doesn't have to run around if all the pass rushers are stuck underneath a 315lb+ tackle/guard.

Our offense line mentality could be one of the biggest broken wheels of this team. Gibbs is an offensive line master mind but it doesn't work for what we have. It falls apart against great defenses. We need a big line.

Great post. Some of the responsibility falls on Vick. His accuracy on short routes leaves much to be desired. This includes quick reads with no blocking AND regular plays checking down the receivers (reference the MNF stat about Vick having the best yards per catch of any QB since he has been in the league. This says a lot about his inability to throw the short route and his success in the longer patterns). We need bigger elephants to give him time to eliminate the need for the shorter routes (or at least reduce the quantity). He needs to improve in this area. But the coaches need to recognize his strengths and weaknesses and correct the offensive problems accordingly.

I think this might be one reason why Reeves had so many 2 TE sets (better QB protection).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:10 pm 

It is also the reason why Reeves was obssessed with drafting tight ends.

Pudge made a post under the MNQ thread that does a good job debunking my theories. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:14 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Could you imagine what our sack against total would be if we had a true pocket passer?