It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Here is comparison of draft records from 01-05,problems?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:05 am 

Looking at the draft records of 4 teams the Falcons,New England,Colts and Pittsburgh most would regard at least 3 teams(New England,Colts,Pitt) to be year and yeart out winniners in the reg season.Here is how they compare to the falcon's when drafting from the year 2001-2005.I am only looking at def backs,off and def linemen nothing else since many believe the game is won in the trenches.Here are the findings:I used only the first 3 rounds of the draft since those are considered high draft picks for the most part.
Falcons
Year
05 2nd Jonathan Babineaux(DT)
04 1st Deangelo Hall (Corner)
03 2nd Bryan Scott (corner)

3 players drafted from 01-05

New England
Year
05 1st Logan Mankins(G)
05 2nd Ellis hobbs (Corner)
05 3rd Nick Kaczur (G)
04 1st Vince Wilfork (DT)
042nd Marquisse Hill(DE)
04 3rd Gus Scott(DB)
03 1st Ty Warren (DE)
03 2nd Eugene Wilson(FS)
02 0
011st Richard Seymour (DT)
012nd Matt light (T)
013rd Brock Williams(DB)

Patriots draft 11 players 01-05

Colts
05 1st Marlin jackson (corner)
05 2nd Kelvin Hayden (Corner)
05 3rd Vincent Burns (Def end)
04 2nd Bob Sanders (Safety)
03 2nd Mike Doss (safety)
03 3rd Donald Strickland(corner)
02 1st Dwight freeney (DE)
02 2ndLarry Triplett (DT)
02 3rd Joe Jefferson(corner)
01 2nd Idnees Bashir (FS)
01 3rd Corey Bird (SS)

Colts draft 11 players from 01-05

Pittsburgh
05 2nd Bryant Mcfadden(CB)
05 3rd Troy Essex(T)
04 2nd Ricardo Colclough(CB)
04 3rd Max Starks (T)
03 1st Troy Polamalu(S)
02 1st Kendell simmons(G)
02 3rd Chris hope(FS)
01 1st Casey Hampton(DT)

Steelers draft 8 players from 01-05

Now tell me based on the drafts of these 4 clubs how the Falcons only manage to draft 3 players in 5 yrs at the def line,offline and def backs)I know most of the answer is Reeve's,but it also tells you the falcon's have not invested in the main positions that are now killing us has a team.The Colts,Steelers,Pats load up on off linemen,def linemen and def backs.the Falcon's could almost care less which is why the defense is horrendous this year.The off line you see these teams besides the colts draft linemen in the 1st three rounds high.The Falcons think your wasitng picks by drafting them in the first 3 rounds.Who is the perenial winner and who isn't?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:42 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

you should send this to mkay or blank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:58 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

buddyboy wrote:
you should send this to mkay or blank.

Oh I'm sure they get stuff like this everyday....

Post subject: Re: Here is comparison of draft records from 01-05,problems?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:08 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

thescout wrote:
Looking at the draft records of 4 teams the Falcons,New England,Colts and Pittsburgh most would regard at least 3 teams(New England,Colts,Pitt) to be year and yeart out winniners in the reg season.Here is how they compare to the falcon's when drafting from the year 2001-2005.I am only looking at def backs,off and def linemen nothing else since many believe the game is won in the trenches.Here are the findings:I used only the first 3 rounds of the draft since those are considered high draft picks for the most part.
Falcons
Year
05 2nd Jonathan Babineaux(DT)
04 1st Deangelo Hall (Corner)
03 2nd Bryan Scott (corner)

3 players drafted from 01-05

New England
Year
05 1st Logan Mankins(G)
05 2nd Ellis hobbs (Corner)
05 3rd Nick Kaczur (G)
04 1st Vince Wilfork (DT)
042nd Marquisse Hill(DE)
04 3rd Gus Scott(DB)
03 1st Ty Warren (DE)
03 2nd Eugene Wilson(FS)
02 0
011st Richard Seymour (DT)
012nd Matt light (T)
013rd Brock Williams(DB)

Patriots draft 11 players 01-05

Colts
05 1st Marlin jackson (corner)
05 2nd Kelvin Hayden (Corner)
05 3rd Vincent Burns (Def end)
04 2nd Bob Sanders (Safety)
03 2nd Mike Doss (safety)
03 3rd Donald Strickland(corner)
02 1st Dwight freeney (DE)
02 2ndLarry Triplett (DT)
02 3rd Joe Jefferson(corner)
01 2nd Idnees Bashir (FS)
01 3rd Corey Bird (SS)

Colts draft 11 players from 01-05

Pittsburgh
05 2nd Bryant Mcfadden(CB)
05 3rd Troy Essex(T)
04 2nd Ricardo Colclough(CB)
04 3rd Max Starks (T)
03 1st Troy Polamalu(S)
02 1st Kendell simmons(G)
02 3rd Chris hope(FS)
01 1st Casey Hampton(DT)

Steelers draft 8 players from 01-05

Now tell me based on the drafts of these 4 clubs how the Falcons only manage to draft 3 players in 5 yrs at the def line,offline and def backs)I know most of the answer is Reeve's,but it also tells you the falcon's have not invested in the main positions that are now killing us has a team.The Colts,Steelers,Pats load up on off linemen,def linemen and def backs.the Falcon's could almost care less which is why the defense is horrendous this year.The off line you see these teams besides the colts draft linemen in the 1st three rounds high.The Falcons think your wasitng picks by drafting them in the first 3 rounds.Who is the perenial winner and who isn't?

And you're right, Reeves was getting so much criticism from fans about not having any good Offensive talents, that he went out every draft and got a WR and a RB...I'll still never understand why we go out and draft Duckett(right after Dunn gets his extension)...makes no sense

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:19 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Good stuff but I'm a little confused

I am only looking at def backs,off and def linemen nothing else since many believe the game is won in the trenches.

They why count DB's? Thats not the "trench"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:26 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

vickisthebest wrote:
Good stuff but I'm a little confused

I am only looking at def backs,off and def linemen nothing else since many believe the game is won in the trenches.

They why count DB's? Thats not the "trench"

I don't really get that either, but maybe when the DB's come up to stop the run in the "box", i guess that could be considered the "Trench's"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:32 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I don't really get that either, but maybe when the DB's come up to stop the run in the "box", i guess that could be considered the "Trench's"

If thats the case we should also include LB's because they also stuff the box and are also involved in the trenches.

Post subject: I included Def back since that is falcs weakest area
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:39 pm 

I included the def backs since that is the falcon's weakest area along iwth the off/def lines since many think that is where games are won which happens to be 2 weak areas of the falcon's.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:21 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Scout, you make good points. But then when you look at those teams you cited and their "weak" areas, the Patriots have RB and LB that are their main weaknesses in the draft, and they've ignored them in the early parts of the draft. Now it doesn't seem like hte Colts have any weak areas, but that's because they are playing great right now (but they'll begin to come back to the ground in 2006), but a weakness for them is probably LB. A weak area for the Steelers would be WR.

So you make a very good point that one of the main reasons why the Falcons the Falcons seem to be poor at those positions is because they have not invested thoroughly in them with the key draft selections. But that's sorta a "no duh" statement. Success in this league is predicated on drafting well. Starters tend to be found more often in the first 4 rounds, so if you're looking for a player that you want to be a starter in the first 1-2 years he's in the league, you probably won't find one after Round 4.

The Falcons have focused a bit at the skill positions on the first day of the draft since 2001. But one thing you may notice with those three teams, and with the Colts especially, they had already built their skill positions up to where they want them, and thus have now been able to focus on "filling in" the rest of the roster with guys in the trenches and secondary.

Since the Falcons are relatively set for the immediate future at many of those skill positions (QB, RB, WR, TE), they will now be entering that 2nd stage like they Colts are in which is filling out the rest. I suspect the Colts will be entering the 3rd stage which is probably the hardest, but few teams ever reach that level anymore, which is trying to maintain that talent across the board.

Profile E-mail