Tony Dungy

Discuss your favorite team: the Atlanta Falcons. As well as all NFL and pro football-related topics, including fantasy football.

Moderators: Capologist, dirtybirdnw, thescout

Steve-O
All-Pro
All-Pro

Tony Dungy

Postby Steve-O » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:01 pm

I am not sure if we have a whole lot of religious people on these boards but if you are religious I'd like to ask you to send your prayers and thoughts out to Tony Dungy and his family. His son was found dead yesterday I think and I cannot even begin to imagine what it's like to lose a child, much less at this time of the year. The girl I date knows Tony and his family personally and from what I hear he is taking it really really hard. So if you guys can lift him up I personally believe that each prayer can help. Thanks fella's.....

Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Postby Pudge » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:29 pm

There really isn't a lot to say or do in a situation like this, just hope and pray that the DUngy family can get through it.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

The_Incomparable
All-Pro
All-Pro

Postby The_Incomparable » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:15 am

I guess I am the inquisitive type, but as a parent I would like to know why he did this. I mean 18 yr olds are typically pretty happy go lucky about life, so to see the 18 yr old son of a successful NFL coach do this raises all kinds of red flags.

mickvick302
Playmaker
Playmaker

Postby mickvick302 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:51 am

The_Incomparable wrote:I guess I am the inquisitive type, but as a parent I would like to know why he did this. I mean 18 yr olds are typically pretty happy go lucky about life, so to see the 18 yr old son of a successful NFL coach do this raises all kinds of red flags.

Was it suicide? From what I read they weren't going to say what the cause of death was until an autopsy was preformed...

But my prayer's are going out to the Dungy Family and friends...
"It's a privilege to wear this winged helmet," English says. "It's about Michigan today. Show everyone why this is the best program in the country!"

Pudge

Postby Pudge » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:28 am

The_Incomparable wrote:I guess I am the inquisitive type, but as a parent I would like to know why he did this. I mean 18 yr olds are typically pretty happy go lucky about life, so to see the 18 yr old son of a successful NFL coach do this raises all kinds of red flags.

I don't know the exact facts, but I recall learning while I was in HS, that teenage males have the highest rates of suicide in the U.S.

Or something along that lines that more teenage girls attempt to commit suicide, but males are more likely to "succeed" in their attempts than girls.

So based on what I know, his being 18 is not at all surprising.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

mickvick302
Playmaker
Playmaker

Postby mickvick302 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:49 pm

I've read 5 different article's about it, and I still can't find a cause of death...Can someone give me a source that says he committed suicide??

Actually, i could see him doing it. Think about it...Not enough attention from dad...Maybe he was tired of all the popularity from his Dad, and just wanted to be himself, without his father's image over his head, and it eventually just caught up with him...who knows...
"It's a privilege to wear this winged helmet," English says. "It's about Michigan today. Show everyone why this is the best program in the country!"

Steve-O
All-Pro
All-Pro

Postby Steve-O » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:45 pm

ok...so I talked to my girl today, the one I said knew the Dungy's...and she said that James (the son) was kinda a troubled kid...said he had a hard time adjusting to his dads work and so on...none the less the death has come as a massive shock to the entire family so at least to them it wasn't something they kinda saw coming...

the cause of death had been ruled suicide, or at least that's what ESPN news said, but they didn't give any specifics beyond that...

mickvick302
Playmaker
Playmaker

Postby mickvick302 » Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:06 pm

Steve-O wrote:ok...so I talked to my girl today, the one I said knew the Dungy's...and she said that James (the son) was kinda a troubled kid...said he had a hard time adjusting to his dads work and so on...none the less the death has come as a massive shock to the entire family so at least to them it wasn't something they kinda saw coming...

the cause of death had been ruled suicide, or at least that's what ESPN news said, but they didn't give any specifics beyond that...

Yep...just saw that this morning :cry:

Return to “The Huddle”