It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vick's Issue
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:56 pm 

I couldn't agree more with the following statement from Jason Whitlock on ESPN's Page 2:

5. Memo to Michael Vick: If you want to be a legitimate NFL QB, get in the film room and prepare like a legitimate NFL QB.

When you watch Vick play, you can tell he's not a student of the game. The whole world fell in love with his athleticism and ability to improvise. Well, quarterbacks still win football games by out-preparing the opposition.

Vick rarely looks off safeties, rarely finds his second and third receivers and rarely responds well to criticism. Vick's groupie defenders are going to prevent him from taking full advantage of his gifts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:10 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Can i have the site to that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:19 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I agree. You can definently tell that he doesn't prepare well. I also think that teams scheme differently against Vick. You don't see Urlacher personally spying Peyton Manning. He does need to read defenses better though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:43 pm 

Here is the website:

ESPN Page 2: Jason Whitlock, NFL Truths

Post subject: Re: Vick's Issue
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:07 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

dirtybirdnw wrote:
Vick rarely looks off safeties, rarely finds his second and third receivers...<snip>

Not to defend him, but he simply doesn't have time other QB's do because he has no protection.

I had one more thought on this "learning the system" garbage: Vick has been here five years and "learning" this system for the last two.... look at the turn around of Eli Mannning and many others before him. 'Nuff said there.

I fear Vick will be an Albatross hanging on the Falcons necks for years because of the $130 million price tag. No way to unload it.

Finally, he was drafted for what he CAN do, not what someone else THINKS he can do or WANTS him to do. I think the offense should be adapted to his unique abilities as opposed to the other way around which is NOT working.

Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:15 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

We are going to live and die with Vick. He isn't going anywhere for a long, long time unless injury says so. We need to build a team around him. As I said at the beginiing of the year, the offense doesn't worry me, it's the defense and it's ability to stop teams.

Overall, Vick did improve as a passer this season. Sometimes he looks good, sometimes he looks like he never threw a ball before, but again, he's here for the long haul. The young receivers more or less improved through out the season and will continue to get better. Dunn played well, but showed signs of tiring at years end. He's got great heart, but hius small frame just can't take a pounding for 16 games. Duckett stepped backwards this year. Some have questioned his practice habits and if true, he doesn't need to be here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:21 am 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

When Vick gets decent pass protection he usually passes very well. IMO, that's a huge need for our offense is to finally fix the dang line...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:41 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Capologist wrote:
When Vick gets decent pass protection he usually passes very well. IMO, that's a huge need for our offense is to finally fix the dang line...

Part of the problem is Vick not making the passes when he has the chance. The O-line needs a major overhaul, but if Vick would put the ball where it can be caught more often, the defense would back off some and give him more opportunities.

Add to that, Vick's running ability is causing defensive coordinators to blitz more often to take away his running.

I agree with you that we can fix the O-line, but, we must live with Vick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:46 am 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

MadBirdMike wrote:
Capologist wrote:

Part of the problem is Vick not making the passes when he has the chance. The O-line needs a major overhaul, but if Vick would put the ball where it can be caught more often, the defense would back off some and give him more opportunities.

Add to that, Vick's running ability is causing defensive coordinators to blitz more often to take away his running.

I agree with you that we can fix the O-line, but, we must live with Vick.

I think a lot of that is simply that he wasn't really asked to pass in any complicated form until he got the the NFL. I would think it would be hard to practice the nuances of the passing game when you are worried about whether or not you are about to die...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:38 pm 

True. Vick is often running for his life because the offensive line cannot block. I don't think the offensive line is going to see any major changes though. As long as Gibbs and Knapp are around we will likely work with a light and atheletic line. I do think we have an over-emphasis of blocking downfield. Part of the reason we have the light atheletic guys who can get up field and block at the second level.

Should be an interesting offseason.

Vick did take a step forward. He did prove he can throw from the pocket and have success (granted it was a hot and cold deal). He has chemistry with Jenkins and Roddy and both receivers took a huge step forward (more Jenkins than Roddy). It would appear that Vick and his receivers are all on the same page (except for Crumpler's odd regression in receiving skills).