It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ray Anderson to be GM for Browns???
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:11 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Anyone know anything about this guy? Would we be losing a good candidate for our own GM when McKay leaves? Sorry, I just don't know much about him. Thanks for the help.

"Atlanta Falcons chief administration officer Ray Anderson is a candidate to replace Savage, who joined the Browns on Jan. 6."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2275447

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:14 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

According to the Falcons, no one has contacted them about Anderson. Interesting.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sport ... alnot.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:42 am 

Ray Anderson was Atlanta's numbers guy before McKay came on board. He is an ex-player agent and signed some really good contracts (cap wise). The Browns would be getting an excellent Capologist if this is the case. I don't know what his eye for talent is though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:08 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

well when it comes to talent evaluation there are not to many people better than Phil Savage so I doubt they are looking at Ray Anderson as an upgrade there.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:06 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Anderson's work as cap guru has a lot to be desired IMO. Whether you liked him or not, Harold Richardson at least got the rookies in on time. In every year that Anderson has been cap guy, our #1 picks have held out. Duckett, Hall, and White. Jenkins is the lone 1st rounder that has got into camp on time, and he signed on the eve of camp as I recall.

I'm not saying he's a bad guy, but considering the Falcons are likely going to be in a relative cap quandary for the next few years, I don't think he's done a great job. Now, much of that has to do with Vick's mega-deal, and I'm not saying that Vick shouldn't be paid what he is being paid (that's a whole nother argument), but it is this deal (negotiated by Anderson) that is inhibiting us a lot.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:53 am 

I think a lot of that has to do with Blank the cap issue. His first two years as owner he was really involved in the contract process and made a lot of rookie owner mistakes in regard to contracts and cap.

Anderson's biggest contract issue was Keith Brooking IMO. When McKay came in Anderson's role was reduced big time. Anderson is a good administrator but not really a GM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:39 am 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Pudge: I'll tell you first hand that Richardson was HORRIBLE. He signed deals that just shouldn't be signed. That's not to say that Ray Anderson hasn't made his share of mistakes but he's more disciplined than Richardson was and didn't cave into player demands giving them the whole world.

As a GM, I'm not sure how well he'd do. He'd definitely have to have a great talent guy on his side in order for it to work...