It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: vick experiment???...and other comments
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:09 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

what are you guys talking about??? This is essentially Vick's third full season in the league. If you scratch his rookie year playing behind Chandler, and the year he broke his leg...he's essentially a 3rd yr vet. No, he hasnt had a 3000 yard season (but he was damn close in his first year in the system), yeah he only had like 3 300 yard games in his career, but he's also one of the most dynamic and feared players in the league. No other player in the history of the league could throw the ball 70 yards in the air and could run a 4.3 40 time. This guy is our QB, until he retires, and, in my opinion, you should accept that, instead of sounding like a bunch of ESPN-board trolls. Obviously he didnt have a great year this year, but if you listen to anyone who actually knows what its like to play QB in the league (aka McNabb, S. Young), or coaches who know what its like to see a QB develop into the west coast offense (aka Knapp, A. Reid, B. Walsh), you would hear something completely different. Im not willing to give up on Vick because fat LennyP is consistently hating on him, or because . Personally, i think the fat bastard has a secret love affair with John Fox and the Panthers...as does the rest of the sportswriters. The truth of the matter was that we are building youth on our team (aka d hall, demo, boley, babs, roddy, jenkins, etc) and we go through some growing pains. Plus, the play of our safties, Brian Scott in particular, was terrible.

I think that if we can bring in upgrades at RDE, FS, and SS, we will be OK. Personally, I thought that Antuan Edwards played alright for us. Ronnie Heard wasnt terrible either. I am a huge fan of Carp, but Im hoping that he will move to a coaching position with our team, so that we can bring in someone new to play S. Personally, I really like Will Demps. NT could be a position for upgrade as well. I do not agree that Mathis should retire though. I dont know where those talks began. I havent heard any thing of the sort, and would be disappointed if it happened, because I think he is a solid performer in our secondary. I think we are set with the combo D Hall, J Web, Mathis, Cash, and Rossum.

I also liked the play of Lowe and Torrence at gunners. Now, I dont know if they would fit in with the 53 man roster, but I thought that they played very well on special teams. Lowe may fit in as a S/CB tweener, but obviously thats not my decision.

I mean, we were 6-2 in what I thought was the tougher part of our schedule, and fell off to 2-6...as you all know. But I think it has more to do with the youth movement, than it does with a "Michael Vick Experiment". Thats a bunch of crap..IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:25 am 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

If our defense would have been up to the task and stopped Tampa from cramming the ball down our throats on their last drive in both games, we'd have won the division or at worst been a wild card team. Vick isn't the problem with this team...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:29 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Vick is far from being the problem. I know the stats don't back it up, but I honestly believe Vick had his finest season as a Falcon. That's the reason why he was voted to the Pro Bowl with a 73.1 passer rating.

He's beginning to develop into a "real" NFL quarterback, which is pretty obvious for me based on that 4-game stint he had between the Miami and Detroit games.

Our problems lie mainly in 3 places IMO:

Offensive Line - These guys are capable, but not quite the caliber that is necessary for us to be going up against the top D-lines in the league.

Defensive Line - upgrading the pass rush is going to help this team so much, because it will allow us to become more aggressive which is when we play our best vs. the pass & run.

Secondary - We need to upgrade at the nickel corner and at the absolute least 1 of the safety positions. We can get by with Edwards/Scott/Carpenter returning at 1 starting spot assuming the other is handled by someone that is a halfway decent starter.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:02 pm 

Me thinks that Vick's attention span is ridiculously short and one of his biggest stunting factors.

Even with that said the defense was the biggest let down on this team. Our offense wasn't exactly stagnate at anyone point this season. One exception to this rule was when we played elite defenses (especially speed defenses like Carolina and Chicago) the offense was completely shutdown. That alone tells me this team isn't headed anywhere playoff birth or no. Of course that may change next year now that Roddy & Jenkins are acclimated to the offense and Vick has clearly shown more trust in both of them. I'd still like to see Andre' Davis added as the #4 receiver.

Of course a better offensive line would solve some of our issues against the elite defenses. I also think we need more of a road-grader line because the speed defense has become the in thing in the NFL and players on defense are getting lighter and faster. I'd be willing to take the odds of a big tackle's ability to pancake a speed rusher vs. the marginal stopping ability of an atheletic tackle any day. The only real advantage of a light and fast offensive line IMO is the ability to block downfield. But when most the pass rush is squashed under a larger line it opens up the Vick to Roddy deep connection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:03 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

not a vick hater here by any means, but....it seems to me that he put his ego ahead of anything midseason when he quit playing his game and started trying to impress the media. I think (hope) he will mature a little this winter and go back to being the most feared player in the league again

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:05 pm 

burrhead241 wrote:
not a vick hater here by any means, but....it seems to me that he put his ego ahead of anything midseason when he quit playing his game and started trying to impress the media. I think (hope) he will mature a little this winter and go back to being the most feared player in the league again

That and his attention span is the only problem I had with Vick this year. Because a quarterback that can be broken mentally coupled with poor attention/preparation isn't going to go very far. Vick improved his over all game and accuracy this year. But he managed to regress in the mental areas of the game. If he can get everything together onto one page then he will be hands down the best quarterback in the NFL. But, for whatever reason, Vick can never get everything firing at once. Kinda like a Corvette firing on 6 of 8 cylinders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:51 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

ya, seems like he does OK until he gets hit a time or two, then his mind shuts down.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:14 pm 

Of course like everyone else says and I agree it doesn't help t hat the offensive line is horrible at pass blocking. When Vick get's hit twice it's usually on the first drive so he has some merit to play scared. His line wasn't getting the job done.

Anywho... I'm finished on the Vick topic for the rest of the off-season, officially.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:24 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

burrhead241 wrote:

I don't think he "quit playing his game to impress the media." I think the knee injury played a large factor in that as well as the fact that defenses kept running lanes closed or closed enough that throwing the ball was a better option. Either way, we need a better o-line pass blocking-wise (yes, I know they are great run blockers), safeties and defensive end...

Post subject: Vick
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:30 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Wow, Dirty is done talking about Vick till training camp... I am going to have to really keep up with the boards to see this one up close. :D

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:13 pm 

I made one more post about Vick but I had to I couldn't resist... So now it is official.

From Janurary 4th, 2006 @ 1:12:52pm PST I will not make reference to Vick's game or ability to play. I will mention Vick in regards to any statements he makes, any moves involving him, and any offseason news. But I will not debate the value, ability, skill, play, or other football aspect of one Michael Vick until Day 1 of training camp (I think that puts it at July).