Marcus Vick

Discuss your favorite team: the Atlanta Falcons. As well as all NFL and pro football-related topics, including fantasy football.

Moderators: Capologist, dirtybirdnw, thescout

User avatar
Steve-O
All-Pro
All-Pro
Posts: 814
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:26 pm
Contact:

Marcus Vick

Postby Steve-O » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:02 pm

So I just saw on ESPN that Marcus Vick has been permanetly dismissed from VT...to me this means if he's eligible he's going pro because he can't play for anything other than a D AA school now....so what do you guys think will happen to him...he may not pass the Falcons filter by any means but he'd make a good back-up for a year or two....

RdHdBirdFan
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:56 am
Location: Biloxi, MS

Re: Marcus Vick

Postby RdHdBirdFan » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:35 pm

Steve-O wrote:So I just saw on ESPN that Marcus Vick has been permanetly dismissed from VT...to me this means if he's eligible he's going pro because he can't play for anything other than a D AA school now....so what do you guys think will happen to him...he may not pass the Falcons filter by any means but he'd make a good back-up for a year or two....


Saw about his demise on the web. He denies the dirty play in the game, but he DID it. I saw it and it aggravated me and I didn't even have a horse in the race.

I hope the Birds do not even think about him.

As to elibility, he should be free to go anywhere he wants since he's a junior this year and he meets the three years out of high school rule.

Dennis

RdHdBirdFan
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:56 am
Location: Biloxi, MS

Postby RdHdBirdFan » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:36 pm

Eligibility.... sheesh!

Interceptor
Role Player
Role Player
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun May 22, 2005 2:24 pm

Postby Interceptor » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:41 pm

He has really stepped in it again.

It's so sad....what he did off the field last year was being over looked, but this action on the field has ruined so many things for him.

User avatar
Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Posts: 26396
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:03 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Postby Pudge » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:43 am

Yeah, he can go pro. But if he's smart, he won't. He needs to prove to NFL teams that he can be a "good little boy."

The problem is even if he played another year and was trouble free, most NFL scouts are going to put a big red flag on him. Also scouts are disappointed with how he's played in big games for the most part.

If he came out this year, I'd say the best he could hope for was a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Not bad, but he could sneak into the 1st round if he goes somewhere and has a good season.

A place I think he may think about going is Hampton University. It's near home for him, and they are one of the strongest teams in Division I-AA.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

User avatar
revolution7
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:15 pm
Location: Boone, NC
Contact:

Postby revolution7 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:59 pm

I think the Falcons should pick him up, you know that with Mike on the team, he would not do any of that stuff that he unfortuneately is known for. I think he would be a good back up.
“Mike Vick is one of the most unselfish teammates you'll ever see, because he truly doesn't care about his numbers. As long as I've known him, every time someone says he can't do something or sets up barriers, he leaps over them.”
— Keion Carpenter

User avatar
Capologist
Cap Guru
Cap Guru
Posts: 2084
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:28 pm
Location: Macon, GA

Postby Capologist » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:51 am

Cain and Abel comes to mind when it comes to the Vick brothers...

User avatar
dirtybirdnw
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4526
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:11 pm
Location: Vancouver, WA
Contact:

Postby dirtybirdnw » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:03 am

Not even after hell froze over would Marcus Vick pass the Falcon filter. It won't happen and some team will take a flyer on him in the first round.

It's Willis McGahee part II only instead of injury it's personality. Marcus Vick will take the same route that one Quincy Carter took.
Fear the BEARD!

starley657
All-Pro
All-Pro
Posts: 830
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:36 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Contact:

Postby starley657 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:38 pm

This is from rotoworld.com. All I can say is, where is this "buzz" coming from? Personally, I know we need a 3rd string QB if Detmer leaves and I wouldn't mind having Marcus, but I don't want to draft him. The only way I would take him is if he was a FA. He's not worth a draft pick and we have other needs to fill besides QB anyway, unless we trade Schaub.


Marcus Vick - QB - Player

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that Marcus Vick is expected to be a second day Draft pick.
It's awfully early for this type of talk. There is also some buzz that the Falcons could draft Marcus to groom him as a long-term backup to Michael in Atlanta. Jan. 8 - 1:21 pm et

User avatar
Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Posts: 26396
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:03 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Postby Pudge » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:30 pm

I'd love to have Vick come here as a receiver. He played there briefly last year I recall, and he was awesome. Who better can Vick have a rapport with than his own brother.

I think the Falcons would look at Marcus as a player, because I believe he has the potential support here in Atlanta that would make his off-field issues a bit less of an issue (he'd be probably living with Michael and therefore Michael would do a lot to try and keep him out of trouble).

But I'm not sure the Falcons would really look to use a draft pick on him except to convert him to WR. And that would possibly be in Round 3 or 4.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

User avatar
Capologist
Cap Guru
Cap Guru
Posts: 2084
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:28 pm
Location: Macon, GA

Postby Capologist » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:55 pm

Pudge wrote:I'd love to have Vick come here as a receiver. He played there briefly last year I recall, and he was awesome. Who better can Vick have a rapport with than his own brother.

I think the Falcons would look at Marcus as a player, because I believe he has the potential support here in Atlanta that would make his off-field issues a bit less of an issue (he'd be probably living with Michael and therefore Michael would do a lot to try and keep him out of trouble).

But I'm not sure the Falcons would really look to use a draft pick on him except to convert him to WR. And that would possibly be in Round 3 or 4.


He's a better passer than Michael but he just lacks the brains to stay out of trouble and I think he has far too high opinion of himself.

I'd be willing to bet that the buzz simply came from the fact that Michael is his brother and could probably keep him in check better than anyone else...

User avatar
dirtybirdnw
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4526
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:11 pm
Location: Vancouver, WA
Contact:

Postby dirtybirdnw » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:20 pm

Of course we all know that if Mike says that he wants the Falcons to draft Marcus then the Falcons will do all in their power to get him here in Atlanta. So it doesn't really matter what anyone thinks at that point.

Marcus could probably also work as a situational back as well as a PR/KR guy and we could phase out Rossum. Marcus is versatile but the questions that matter are:

Does Mike Vick want him here?
Is Marcus Vick open to moving from serving as backup quarterback, situational WR/RB, and PR/KR on this team?

He would basically be utilized just like Antwaan Randle El is used.That is probably the truth on any team he goes to. I'm not against Marcus Vick although he is a head case. I doubt the Falcons touch him with a 10-foot pole.
Fear the BEARD!

MadBirdMike
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:33 am
Location: Hiram, Ga

Postby MadBirdMike » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:43 pm

dirtybirdnw wrote:Of course we all know that if Mike says that he wants the Falcons to draft Marcus then the Falcons will do all in their power to get him here in Atlanta. So it doesn't really matter what anyone thinks at that point.

Marcus could probably also work as a situational back as well as a PR/KR guy and we could phase out Rossum. Marcus is versatile but the questions that matter are:

Does Mike Vick want him here?
Is Marcus Vick open to moving from serving as backup quarterback, situational WR/RB, and PR/KR on this team?

He would basically be utilized just like Antwaan Randle El is used.That is probably the truth on any team he goes to. I'm not against Marcus Vick although he is a head case. I doubt the Falcons touch him with a 10-foot pole.


I disagree. Blank and Mora don't seem like the kind to take in emotional baggage. They seem to like mature players. Well, as professionally mature as an NFL player can be.

If he did come here, and serve as a receiver, I just get the feeling that the media would overread the stats and try to make a story about 'the Vicks' playing favorites. Trying to chum the waters and make a story. I have all kinds of headlines dancing in my brain.

User avatar
Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Posts: 26396
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:03 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Postby Pudge » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:40 pm

MadBirdMike wrote:I disagree. Blank and Mora don't seem like the kind to take in emotional baggage. They seem to like mature players. Well, as professionally mature as an NFL player can be.


You are absolutely right. But if there is a handful of players that they would make an exception for, one of them would be Marcus Vick.

I could see Blank having a press conference about how Marcus is a misunderstood kid that needs to mature, but Atlanta presents the good environment to give him the proper support to make that maturation process on draft day.

We'll see. The QB class now is helped a lot by Vince Young's entry into the draft. But besides Leinart & Young, there is a big dropoff. Omar Jacobs and Jay Cutler might be also Round 1 prospects, but that's because there is always one "darkhorse" QB at the end of the year that manages to sneak into Round 1. Past examples are Jason Campbell (2005), Philip Rivers (2004), Kyle Boller (2003), Patrick Ramsey (2002), and Cade McNown (1999). And none of them have yet to fulfill their potential, although it's probably too early to tell for Campbell, and maybe Rivers as well.

Vick's athleticism and arm strength alone is going to make him a top QB prospect because the rest of the class is not that strong. Guys like Darrell Hackney (UAB), Brodie Croyle (Alabama), Reggie McNeal (Texas A&M), Charlie Whitehurst (Clemson) are all middle round picks that have the potential to move up into Round 2 or 3. Marcus is in that group. I can guarantee his off-field issues will prevent him from being a first round pick. But I'm not sure if there isn't a good market for Marcus' abilities in other NFL cities. If they pass up on a QB in Round 1, the Texans might look at him. But besides maybe Arizona, Oakland, and the Jets (dependent on their new head coach), I don't see too many teams really looking hard at Vick to be their QB of the future.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

User avatar
mickvick302
Playmaker
Playmaker
Posts: 431
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:44 pm
Location: Woodstock, Ga

Postby mickvick302 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:38 pm

He is reportedly going pro courtesy of foxsports.com


http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/5227138
"It's a privilege to wear this winged helmet," English says. "It's about Michigan today. Show everyone why this is the best program in the country!"

GSUTeke
All-Pro
All-Pro
Posts: 715
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:06 am
Location: Augusta, GA

Postby GSUTeke » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:56 pm

i can NOT believe the Marcus Vick hype on this board!

Mike Vick has his own issues to deal with if he's going to take himself up to elite status among NFL QBs. he doesn't need to be spending time babysitting his little brother.

No way in hell Vick passes the sniff test in the ATL. you see how quickly they let Bolden go, even though our secondary was and is still the weakest part of our squad.

what POSITIVE benefit would Marcus Vick bring to this team? all he'd be is a distraction here.

User avatar
revolution7
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:15 pm
Location: Boone, NC
Contact:

Postby revolution7 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:22 am

the Positive benefit would be a young QB with amazing potential, AND the benefit of his having a playing style much like his brothers, so if Mike goes down, Marcus could step right in and fill his spot, and the offense wouldn't have to change. 8-)
“Mike Vick is one of the most unselfish teammates you'll ever see, because he truly doesn't care about his numbers. As long as I've known him, every time someone says he can't do something or sets up barriers, he leaps over them.”
— Keion Carpenter

User avatar
Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Posts: 26396
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:03 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Postby Pudge » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:18 am

Again, Marcus Vick as a QB is not a path I want to see this team go down. He's proven to be of "unreliable" character and frankly I don't want that sort of leadership developing in our locker room. His older brother has enough questionable leadership to begin with, why would Marcus be any better, even if it is true that he is a much more developed passer at this stage of his career than his elder brother.

But if the Falcons did look at Baby Vick, I'd love to see them convert him to a wide receiver. In that role, I think he would be a dynamic addition to this team. He has proven in the past (although briefly) that he can play the WR position. He has the speed, size, and running ability to be a very special WR. Not to mention, getting passes thrown to you by your brother means that a strong rapport SHOULD develop between QB and WR.

Having a trio of White, Jenkins, and Vick at WR will give us a trio of receivers that down the road can be mentioned in the same breath as that we see in Indianapolis currently.

Now I'm not saying the Falcons should definitely target Vick at WR, because there are many other issues that must be considered before thinking about how good a marriage between the two is. How would Marcus's presence on this team at WR, inhibit the development of "real" WRs like Jenkins and White, and their abilities to get on the same page with #7? Basically, does adding Marcus to this team break up the cohesion of the offense? Does it set us back a few years as this unit tries to develop into one cohesive unit? THese are serious questions that this team would have to answer.

But all I'm saying is that if this team does address its primary needs in Rounds 1 and 2, and Marcus Vick is still on the board come Round 3 or 4, I think the Falcons should at least consider drafting him as a possible #3 WR. Because as I said, in that role I think he could potentially add something special to this team. But if not as a WR, then I think his presence brings more drama than we can handle. He IMO would not be an ideal replacement for Matt Schaub. I think I'd rather have Kordell Stewart than Marcus Vick.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

buddyboy
All-Pro
All-Pro
Posts: 557
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:20 pm
Location: ubiquitous

Postby buddyboy » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:36 am

my hunch is that marcus wouldn't take what he would perceive as a diminished role as a wide out anyway. at least not unless he had his chance at qb and failed. with the success he had at vt im sure he feels he is a qb and im pretty sure there's a team out there that will give him a shot as such. if we wanted to convert a vt qb to a wide reciever we already have randall for that if need be.

User avatar
revolution7
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:15 pm
Location: Boone, NC
Contact:

Postby revolution7 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:21 pm

I like Pudge's idea of training him up to be a WR, very good things could stem from that. And, the Falcons coaching staff would have an extremely flexible offense, and I can only imagine some of the amazing trick plays that could stem from this..... :D
“Mike Vick is one of the most unselfish teammates you'll ever see, because he truly doesn't care about his numbers. As long as I've known him, every time someone says he can't do something or sets up barriers, he leaps over them.”
— Keion Carpenter

User avatar
The_Incomparable
All-Pro
All-Pro
Posts: 869
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:51 pm

Postby The_Incomparable » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:34 pm

Marcus is not a better passer than Michael. Michael led the NCAA in passing efficiency as a Freshman and is still the only person to ever do so.
Image
Props to Scar for my sig.

AngryJohnny51
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 3334
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:31 pm

Postby AngryJohnny51 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:16 pm

Moot point fella's. Dumb ass was arrested again today for brandishing a handgun at a McDonalds.

FalconAwesome
Starter
Starter
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:05 pm
Location: Savannah, Ga

Postby FalconAwesome » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:54 pm

Hey guys-Who of us hasn't brandished their gat/glock at Mickey D's???

Sad to see talent go to waste on an idiot.

User avatar
revolution7
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:15 pm
Location: Boone, NC
Contact:

Postby revolution7 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:05 pm

Dang, I really hate to hear this :(
“Mike Vick is one of the most unselfish teammates you'll ever see, because he truly doesn't care about his numbers. As long as I've known him, every time someone says he can't do something or sets up barriers, he leaps over them.”
— Keion Carpenter

GSUTeke
All-Pro
All-Pro
Posts: 715
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:06 am
Location: Augusta, GA

Postby GSUTeke » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:41 pm

revolution7 wrote:Dang, I really hate to hear this :(



a piece of s***. that's what i was going to say originally but didn't. he just verified it.


Return to “The Huddle”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest