It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Interesting Info from AJC
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:32 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Here is a breakdown of the Falcons and their upcoming offseason moves. McKay of course says everything boils down to the collective bargaining agreement, which is true. Also, there's a few interesting looks in the breakdown. One for instance is that it says don't be surprised if we don't go after Rodney Harrison if he his released this offseason. I think he would be great for us. yeah I know he's coming off of an injury, but his veteran leadership would be nice.

Anyway, check this out:
http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/spor ... lcons.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:37 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I agree that Harrison would be a good move for us. The CBA would give us a ton of flexiblity to maneuver to a position of well under the cap...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:29 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Yeah, I think Harrison would be a great addition for this team. But I haven't heard much that would indicate the Patriots are looking to part ways with him. THey missed him way too much this past season IMO to actually start seriously considering cutting him.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:38 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Pudge wrote:
Yeah, I think Harrison would be a great addition for this team. But I haven't heard much that would indicate the Patriots are looking to part ways with him. THey missed him way too much this past season IMO to actually start seriously considering cutting him.

I don't know, but salary cap could be an issue? The Patriots and ours. Someone fill in the blanks for me please?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:23 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

MadBirdMike wrote:
Pudge wrote:

I don't know, but salary cap could be an issue? The Patriots and ours. Someone fill in the blanks for me please?

The Pats may cut him for cap reasons. If the CBA is extended then you can go ahead and expect us to retool some deals that will open up a significant amount of room...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:52 pm 

Well, the Patriots don't have a wealth of cap space set for next year as it looks now. But according to some initial numbers, they will probably be under the cap by anywhere up to $3 million when the off-season begins.

And if they are looking to create room, IMO, they will look at cutting Tyrone POole, Duane Starks, Willie McGinest, Corey Dillon, and Kevin Faulk before they started talking about Harrison.

Harrison IMO is not really a candidate to be cut, according to their cap projections, it would save them about $800,000 to cut him. But the Pats can free up much more money by parting ways with McGinest ($7 million), Starks ($3.5 million), and Poole ($1.5 million), with those other guys along with Brady and Richard Seymour being major candidates to have their deals restructured.

I'd love to have Harrison, but I would say it's very doubtful that we will have the opportunity to get him. About the only thing I would expect from him is that he may restructure his deal.

He griped about his contract last year, but the Pats worked it out.

IMO, Lawyer Milloy and Tony Parrish are much more likely to be cut this off-season and I think would be great fits here.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:54 pm 
Starter
Starter

Great Article-AJC seems to love some McClure but not so much love for Lehr. Also discussed the possible interest in UGA's Greg Blue. What do you guys think of Blue?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:32 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

From what I saw of him, I liked what I saw

“Mike Vick is one of the most unselfish teammates you'll ever see, because he truly doesn't care about his numbers. As long as I've known him, every time someone says he can't do something or sets up barriers, he leaps over them.”
— Keion Carpenter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:09 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

FalconAwesome wrote:
Great Article-AJC seems to love some McClure but not so much love for Lehr. Also discussed the possible interest in UGA's Greg Blue. What do you guys think of Blue?

He's a big hitter...except when he got demolished by a WR against West Virginia in the sugar bowl...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:56 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I would love to pick up Blue in the second round, but that's just me. I think Huff in the first round to play CB maybe and Blue in the second and then we would have a good young group of DBs for the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:39 am 

Blue is the type of safety I think this team needs. An in the box guy that is like an extra LB. Blue is terrible in coverage, so he'd be a liability there, but if we can get some of his run stopping instincts, it's going to greatly improve the run defense. Yes, having ability in coverage is a definitely plus, but when you look at the elite safeties across the league, very few are really that great in coverage, and even more of them weren't very good in coverage when they first came into the league. That's something that usually improves with experience for most players.

Profile E-mail