It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thoughts about the playoff games how to win a championship!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:53 am 

Watching this round of playoffs the defenses are showing up making it tough to score points. What I am noticing is if you want to move and advance in the playoffs you absolutely must have a strong defense and a balanaced attack on offense.Shouldn't be any surprise how to win.Obviosuly turnovers are critical and when you get a chance to score you need to do it.none of this getting stopped for zero points.

I think throwing the long ball does a few things to defenses one it opens the field up so you can attack with the running game,two you throw long to try and get pass interference calls,and obviously throwing long creates the quick score.The Falcon's don't do it enough and it needs to change.I thought the Denver off line played well pass protecting and the running game.Qbs must be able to pass with pressure against them and find the open man.Can Vick do that we won't know since our off line can't pass protect.

The Denver defense is quicker and still gets to the QB to at least pressure him.Brady threw for alot of yards but the tunovers killed the Pats.Having a field goal kicker that can kick longer than 40 yards consistently is another key to winning.Elam and Viniteri are 2 of the best although Viniteri missed the one field goal.

I hope the Falcon's are taking notes on the formula to winning big games.Strong defense and a balanced offense are the recipe for winning yet the Falcon's seem so far oblivious to this concept.Also notice that the run defense is very good which shuts the other team down making the QB having to pass. Can our run defense improve with just hartwell coming back and the rookies having one more year experience or do we need some more talent there to stop other teams?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:56 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

thescout wrote:
Can our run defense improve with just hartwell coming back and the rookies having one more year experience or do we need some more talent there to stop other teams?

I think maybe. I'm not saying we can return the same 11 starters and have a top run defense like we had in 2004. But I'm thinking that we don't need a huge amount of changes to make a difference.

I think the emphasis on the defensive side of the ball should not be upgrading the entire unit per se, but plugging holes. There are several good players, and although we lack that one elite player at his position that current playoff teams have, I think we have the defensive talent to go toe to toe with most of them.

That elite player I'm referring to is a guy that I think is a Top 5 or so players at his position. Pittsburgh has Polamalu. Indy has Freeney. Denver has Al Wilson and Champ Bailey. New England has Seymour. Carolina has Peppers and Jenkins (if he ever returns to old form). Bears have Urlacher. Redskins have Arrington and Taylor. Seahawks don't have anybody that I would call a "1st tier" player. Neither do we, but like Seattle we have a number of 2nd tier guys IMO: Brooking, Coleman, Kerney, and potentially Hartwell and Hall. The Seahawks have Wistrom, and a number of young guys that could be considered to be moving into that group in the near future: Trufant, Boulware, Tatupu, etc.

I think the coaches on the Falcons understand how to win football games. I think they run the ball so much now because our passing game hasn't shown a lot of life or consistency to move the football on a consistent basis, so we can't have as balanced the offensive attack as we may wish. That should improve next year with Jenkins & WHite hopefully making big strides and Vick playing more like he did in November than he did in the other months of the year.

This team is headed in the right direction. We've had some hiccups, disappointments, and headaches along the way, and will have some more before we get to our final destination, but I have confidence this coaching staff and the majority of our personnel are capable of getting us there down the road.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Pass Rush Pass Rush!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:08 pm 

I agree with you pudge that the falcon's need to fill holes it isn't like we need to revamp the whole team especially on defense.If you notice teams that are winning are bringing heavy pass rushes.Even with brady we don't have enough of a pass rush.The no1 need on the falcon's is a pass rush,followed by stopping the run,they kind of go hand in hand.If you can stop one but not the other your going to get beat somewhere in the playoffs.Obviously we need safeties but without a pass rush you can have all pros and get beat.

I didn't think the colts could get beat like they did but pittsburgh proved you can out physical them.A heavy pass rush and an offense that can run and pass is the key.

I have to laugh when people say the problem with the Falcon's is they need to have vick be vik.hahahahha.What a load of crap,that tells me they don't know what there talking about.Quality defense and balanced offense can get you to super bowls and the brass ring.

Troy Polomalau of pitt was huge today,the kind of safety we need.First we need a pass rush so looking at the prospects Hali,Kiwi, tapp in the second can any of them be thev kind of guy we need.Don't know if parys harrison ?? the guy from tenneessee can play def end and really right now how would he play linebacker with all the ones we have? We saw the colts loose today they couldn''t stop the run.I think the colts may be to undersized like the falcon's at def tackle.I hope a def tackle can be drafted that can stop the run.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:20 pm 

Well Polamalu may be the best safety in the NFL, so yes, we do need a guy like him, but the odds of finding him may not be high.

I expected the Steelers to win today, because I expected them to outphysical the Colts in the regular season. They did not, and I couldn't see Cowher make the same mistake twice. In the past 6 seasons, the Steelers have only lost to the same team twice in the same season only 2 times. Both were to the Tennessee Titans (2002 and 2000). Had the Steelers won their first meeting, I may not have predicted them to win this one, but I couldn't see two Ls to the Colts from that team, especially since as you said they are a more physical football team, and a good physical football team is going to beat a good fast/finesse football team most times. It's why the Steelers and Patriots have been so tough in the AFC over recent years.

One then might conclude that the Falcons are mistaken for building a team geared towards speed and finesse. But the truth is, that building a power, smashmouth football team on the turf of Atlanta would be very difficult, just like it would be hard to build a speed, finesse-oriented team in the icy cold of Foxboro or Pittsburgh.

And there's no law that says a defense built primarily for speed can't be physical. I think the Chicago Bears showed that this past season.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:52 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

You mean the Bears that gave up 29 to the Panties in this playoff game because they couldn't handle the beefy Carolina O line? Undersized, speedy lines can always be overpowered by a bigger, stronger line. It doesn't always happen but it seems to work in the playoffs very well (Colts lost, Bears losing, Bucs lost, etc etc etc...even the Panties have given up 21 to the Bears with thomas Jones going for 5 yards per carry so far)..

Post subject: Fast aggresive doesn't win!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:21 pm 

The mistake the falcon's are making building there team is they believe that smaller quicker players who can play in there system will win.WRONG! I do admit you can't have unathletic 320+ linemen that can't play but the goal for a team trying for a championship is to have the most athletic player with size/speed and talent you can find.The falcon's are stuck in this mode of off linemen who have less talent can be developed in the Gibbs system.Usually they are lower round picks that are by passed by other teams.I agree that they can run block but we have seen when those players go against bigger,faster and more athletic linemen they can't beat them in pass blocking.

The defense, its a mistake to build your def line with fast and aggressive linemen.You have to have strength there alslo or your line will cave in against bigger tlaneted linemen case in point tonight's game carolina vs the bears.The Bears demolished the falcon off line but when they face a bigger talented line they couldn't shut down the panthers.

I am really getting sick of not drafting def/off linemen in the upper rounds.The falcon's have drafted 2 linemen in rounds 1-3 in 14 yrs hence they usually lose against more athletic bigger linemen teams.Instead of getting linemen in free ageny at least the better ones they get the corey louchey's,anthony redmon types.There shouldn't be any secret to why this franchise can't beat the better teams they don't invest in the trenches.If the falcon's don't do something this off season in the draft or free agency to get quality then they are pulling the wool over our eyes looking the other way and can't see the forrest from the trees.I wouldn't mind mckay being fired if he continues to build this team with weak off/def linemen.I mean we aren't getting paid for being fans and we can plainly see what the problems our yet mckay seems clueless until he proves me wrong by getting the people we need.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:08 am 
Veteran
Veteran

My apologies, I don't have the time to read the entire thread right now. I will make it a point to do so when I can.

Just want to recall some old sayings....
"The game is won at the LOS"
"Defense wins championships"
"A chain is only as strong as its weakest link"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:31 pm 

When did the Panthers get a beefy line? Their line is one of the smallest in the league. All their players are considered undersized:

Travelle Wharton (312)
Mike Wahle (304)
Jeff Mitchell (300)
Tutan Reyes (310)
Jordan Gross (300)

With exception to Shaffer (290) and McClure (286), their line is about the same size as ours, outweighing ours by a total of 6 pounds at those other 3 positions. When you factor it all in, they outweigh us by an average of 8.4 pounds per lineman. Not exactly a huge difference.

Yes, it's true there haven't been many "undersized" DLs in the Super Bowl in recent years, with exception to the Bucs (2002) and Rams (2001). But I think when you factor in that it's really only been a recent development that teams have been looking more at speed than size, particularly in the middle of their DLs, it sort of offsets that a bit.

Also you should note that the Bears demolished the Panthers line during the regular season. They gave up 8 sacks in that game. This was a matter of the Panthers playing better the second go round, as they actually have a talented line. It's not size, but the fact they have talent. With exception of Reyes, their 4 starters are all just better than ours.

It's just a fact that the Panthers have a very good offensive line. And it's very small. Don't you find it at all interesting that 2 of the 4 teams in the Championship games have small lines. Throw in the fact that the Seahawks don't have a big line (only 2 players weighing over 310 pounds) and you see it's not size we lack, but just talent.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:47 pm 

One thing that Carolina has that Atlanta does not is a Quarterback that can throw an accurate frozen rope to perhaps the best receiver in football who can make the catch with 3 defensive backs covering him. Do you know how many times I saw Smith make the catch despite double or triple coverage? The guy is automatic. That makes an offensive line look good on a regular basis.

Anywho, without any analysis or detailed write up as we have already had in the thread here is my opinion. The Falcons are too deep in what they have now to change course so Atlanta has to stay the course. Small, atheletic, and quick. One of the biggest problems this past season was simply depth. If DeLo went down we had a secondary that would have a rough time at the college level. The defensive line had 0 depth largely because our backups were rookies who are not expected to put up stellar numbers anyways.

Primary focus for me if I was a Falcon executive is to find Brady Smith's replacement and get some help in the secondary; both corner and safety. The safeties where nothing short of atrocious and the secondary after DeLo and Webster aren't capable of contain most NFL receivers.

The only concern I really have on offense is center, tackle, and runningback. Everything else is more or less set in stone. I note runningback because TJ Duckett isn't the answer and Warrick Dunn is going to start breaking down sooner or later. We need to get a 2nd or 3rd talent runningback in here to start training him. I'm fine with most of our offense. A few upgrades here and there wouldn't be bad and so better receiver depth would be a bonus.

Atlanta isn't that far behind being at least a regular wild card team. We had all sorts of injuries on defense and still had to integrate a fairly decent amount of new players to the squad.

Post subject: The word is TALENT!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:49 pm 

I don't necessairly think the falcon's should go out and get the hogs part 2 on off line but we certainly need more talent athletic men on the line.Carolina seems to invest in linemen at the top of the draft most years which is something I think the falcon's need to do change draft philosphies. Last year it was roddy white,year before Hall,jenkins,when you draft only 2 off linemen in 14 years in rounds 1-3 then that tells me alot. I certainly think at least 2 off linemen should be drafted in the top 4 rounds.Again it will come to who has the highest potential but now a days you do draft for need plus talent.

I would likeo to see Mclure replaced and another tackle since shaffer won't be resigned,yet the falcon's seem to think they can have there rookie Frank ?? start? Either he has talent or the falcon's are naive to the fact that you must have talent to build your line or face getting your QB sacked 40+ a year.

Profile E-mail