It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coaching changes
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:14 pm 
Starter
Starter

Seems that other teams have taken some notice of the changes in ATL since Mora took over as head coach. With the loss of Both Mike Johnson to the Ravens and Jeff Jadgadoski(sp) now to the Packers, along with earlier departures of the strength and conditioning staff there will now also be changes in the Falcons staff. What are your opinions on the effects to the Falcons, and who will be called on to replace the open slots?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:05 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Johnson obviously failed to relate with Michael in regards to his footwork. He still continues to overthrow and underthrow the ball due to footwork. I'm not really sorry to see him go. Young would be the perfect guy but he simply may not want to get into the coaching ranks. Mr. Blank certainly has the deep pockets to bring Steve in but Steve has deep pockets too.

Miller was getting up there in age and we all have to call it a career at some point. Best wishes to him and a happy retirement. He will be missed but he can be replaced.

As to Jags leaving I think their may be a positive and a negative turn. His departure will probably hurt our running game in a minor way. We've been using the same scheme for what, two years now? We have been awesome at running the ball but the pass protection has not developed anywhere close to what Denver has. I know the system works but you just need to have the right personnel and we obviously don't when it comes to pass protection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:42 am 
Rookie
Rookie

We also lost our QB coach. I heard the Falcons were actively speaking with Steve Young and Ty Detmer to be our QB coach. Ty Detmer will be gone next season and could teach Vick a thing or two without taking up a roster spot. It would be heavenly if we got Young though because of how he played the game. He could teach Vick a lot especially with his experience outside the pocket. It seems as though the Falcons are becoming the 49ners because most of our coaches have came from there, a few players, and maybe Steve Young and T.O. may be coming over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:34 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Young has a nice cushy desk job at ESPN. He'd never in a million years leave that job and come coach in Atlanta, where he'd actually be held accountable for what he says and does. He has job security at ESPN as long as he doesn't say anything too controversial and retains his personality. His job security in Atlanta would be built on his ability to provide results in Vick, the offense, etc. WOuld you leave, especially when you've shown little desire for coaching (if Young wanted to coach, he'd probably be doing so now) and being a position coach somewhere in the NFL is probably a significant drop in pay.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:08 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Young has a nice cushy desk job at ESPN. He'd never in a million years leave that job and come coach in Atlanta, where he'd actually be held accountable for what he says and does. He has job security at ESPN as long as he doesn't say anything too controversial and retains his personality. His job security in Atlanta would be built on his ability to provide results in Vick, the offense, etc. WOuld you leave, especially when you've shown little desire for coaching (if Young wanted to coach, he'd probably be doing so now) and being a position coach somewhere in the NFL is probably a significant drop in pay.

I dont really agree Pudge. ESPN doesnt have any job security. Just ask Trev Alberts, Kevin Frasier, Keith Olbermann, Craig Kilborn, etc......

And money is not a concern for Young. He comes from a wealthy family, plus the money he made as a player. And I'm pretty sure out of the four people on NFL countdown.....he is paid the least.

If he wants to coach he will coach. I doubt it will be here though. He will most likely coach in S.F. or with Mooch down the road if Mooch gets a NFL job.

But I'm not sure if I'd want Young as a coach here......sometimes he just seems like he's not all there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:26 pm 

Don't forget that Young also has a law degree and I believe was a practicing attorney at somepoint in his life. So Young's options aren't limited to the NFL souly. He could step out of the light whenever he wanted.

Of course being a talking head is irresistable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:22 pm 

Well none of those guys you named from ESPN were NFL analysts. Rush Limbaugh and Michael Irvin show that you really have to do something bad or say something controversial in order to get fired from there. Sterling Sharpe got axed because he wasn't as "flamboyant" as Michael Irvin.

I'm saying Young's job security is pretty good short of him saying something un-PC, sexist, racist, or whatever, or doing something that might result in jail time or a trial. Considering Young is a "nice Mormon boy" I don't really think that's going to be an issue.

And although Young is far from being poor, it would probably be a stretch that some things are motivated by money. I mean, when you hear players saying all the time now that they want their salaries increased from $3 million to $6 million because "they have to provide for their family," I think you can see that being rich doesn't make your desire to be richer any less.

And if he wanted to coach, going for a job as a talking head on any of the networks is not the best way of doing it. Sure, after being out of the game for almost 7 years, he may decide to make a career change. But is that exactly a good hire? I think a guy that was wanting to coach at the outset of his retirement may have a bit more passion than someone who has had a 7-year lay-off and besides watching a few hours of gametape each week has done not a ton to enhance his general and overall knowledge of the game in that span.

Short of the guys that were coaches before they went onto TV, I can't think of many TV analysts that were able to land a coaching job. I know Sean Salisbury got offered one, but he turned down Denny Green (probably because he realized the same thing I said before, a downgrade in pay and have significantly weaker job security is not exactly a brilliant career move).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:24 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I have to agree that Steve isn't going to leave ESPN. Would love to have him but I don't see it happening.