It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New OC on the way?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:16 pm 

I was checking out the SI rumors page and I found this note to be very interesting (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/s ... nfl/1.html):

The Falcons could interview recently fired Vikings coach Mike Tice, former Bills coach Mike Mularkey and ex-offensive line coach Alex Gibbs for vacant offensive coaching positions, the team confirmed Sunday.
-- Atlanta Journal Constitution

None of our current open spots in the coaching staff would be enough to pull in a name such as Tice or Mularkey I would think. I'm surprised to see Gibbs noted in any real coaching interviews outside of having another guy in the mix. Especially considering Gibbs' takes a job and then semi-retires the following year.

Both Tice and Mularkey of course have histories with the offensive side of the ball. I wonder if Knapp is on his way out? Of course Tice has also been connected with the Jets' head coaching spot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:55 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I think Tice would be good here in Atlanta...At least he isnt afraid to go downfield with the ball....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:02 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I'm sure, they are looking at Tice and Mularkey as position coaches, and not offensive coordinators.

Mularkey would probably be slotted as the tight ends coach, assuming Clancy Barone moved back to OL.

Tice is also a guy that has experience coaching TEs and OL. Tice has never been a coordinator, as those duties were held by Sherman Lewis at the end of 2001 and Scott Linehan (2002-04), and Steve Loney (2005).

Mularkey in Pittsburgh and Buffalo fashioned a sort of power-running game, and I'm not sure how much that fits in with our zone blocking principles.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:54 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I posted this in the Draft & FA section at the AFMB, it should help clarify things for you guys:

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/index.php?showtopic=138201

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:47 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

B/c of the zone blocking scheme that Gibbs used, isn't it a given that almost anyone else who comes in will be using something different since the oline coach left for GB? To my knowledge, Denver's the only other team to imploy our oline blocking scheme. I don't think our style of olineman on the current roster fit too many other schemes. Does this mean we'll need to draft oline to support the new scheme? This would put us back another year in progressing as an offense. We need to focus on D for our picks anyway, imo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:24 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Um, i'm confused, Alex Gibbs is already a consultant for Atlanta. Why would they need to interview him when all they have to do is say "would you like a new job?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:03 pm 

The NFL requires so many people to be interviewed before a team can hire someone to the best of my knowledge. Although I can imagine that the Gibbs' interview went along the lines of "Kiss my ass, I don't want to coach fulltime."

Atlanta want's Gibbs' back as the full time offensive line coach again. It appears that Murlarky was interviewed for QB coach and Tice for offensive line coach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:46 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

sounds like a pretty stacked offensive coaching staff, if, of course, we get all of the above...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:59 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Mora has said directly that he will not hire former head coaches onto his staff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:13 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

The_Incomparable wrote:
Mora has said directly that he will not hire former head coaches onto his staff.

I think that's only because he wants all the power, and with a former Head Coach, they might try and "Take some power" from him

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:48 pm 

I think it's more a sign of respect. Going from head coach to position coach is a major demotion, something that I don't think many ex-head coaches have done. Usually, a head coach goes to another team as a OC (ex: Chris Palmer, Norv Turner) or DC (ex: Capers, Jauron, Wannstedt), or maybe some sort of a asst. head coach (ex: Morninghweg, Fassel). At this point, none of the head coaches that were fired besides Mooch have really worked with Mora before, so it doesn't make any sense to make them assistant head coaches. None of them have worked with Mora before, so making them OCs or DCs doesn't make a lot of sense because they may not share the same philosophies.

I can't think of a single example of a head coach recently that took on a position coach role immediately following their job as a head coach. Gunther Cunningham is about the only example who was LB coach in Tennessee after his stint in KC, but he also held the title of Asst. Head Coach.

Profile E-mail