It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Atlanta's potential moves & their impact on the future
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:56 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/index.php?showtopic=138201

Post subject: Good post good observations!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:38 pm 

Good post Incomprable .I thought it interesting the opposing philosphies that the falcon's have on building the team.Mckay has always had smaller men at def tackle while Donatrell had gone with the gilbert brown types. I think it is very risky not doing anything to the def tackle position and hoping that our young guys will get better just because its another year. When I watched the falcon games it seemed to me that other teams ran up the middle at will not being stopped by the def line,specifically def tackle.I know we need another rde so it will be interesting to see what the falcon's do.

I think first and foremost watching the playoffs teams the ones that win get to the QB on defense.We must get a pass rush and sure up the def tackle position.Obviously we need safeties but they can be found in many rounds(Chicago this year).

It will be interesting to see if a deangelo williams drops if the falcon's take him.I think he could be one of the best in the league and can be a star.I think it is also important to draft a QB maybe in rounds 4 or 5 to develop.You can never have to many QBs that way down the road he could be traded for higher picks if you pick the right QB.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:11 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I agree about Williams & about drafting another QB. There's only a couple guys in this draft I would take over DeAngelo and none of them will be there at our pick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:48 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

As I posted before in another thread, drafting a QB just to trade him away down the road is an iffy strategy. Sure, if a quality player falls then why not get him. But as the Green Bay Packers found out, most of those guys you draft aren't going to work out. They got something in return for Hasselbeck and Brooks, but there was a long list of other guys that didn't quite make an impact (Jay Barker, Ronnie McAda, Craig Nall, etc.).

This team shoudln't be in the business of developing another QB. It should be focusing on developing Vick. Schaub was drafted as insurance policy, but due to the contract that Vick signed, that policy is never going to take the field here in Atlanta as a starter. So he'll have to be traded away.

Less than a 3rd of the QBs drafted between 1998 and 2002 on the 2nd day of the draft turned out to be anything resembling a competent backup in the NFL.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:27 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Well, the fact of the matter is that we're either going to have to take the risk of Michael Vick staying injury free or we're going to have to pay a veteran to come back him up and that sucks because it is one less player we can add to the defense. That said, it is typically easier for a rookie to play Safety or corner in the NFL, than come in & play QB from the backup role. There's going to be a LOT of tough decisions made over the next 6 months, and the cumulative effect should let us know whether we are building for the future (2007 or 2008) or building to make a run at a Super Bowl next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:27 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

- Found this from a Kiper chat. I could handle drafting Huff, but I don't have any idea why we'd pick him over Jimmy Williams from VT. I've seen every VT game for a long time and this kid is exactly what we need back there. He'd be an intimidator at either CB or FS. Now I don't want another BScott hybrid, so I hope he settles on one position. I think it depends on what he runs at the combine, but look for a time around 4.4, which should equal corner. However, he hits like a middle linebacker, so that could equal FS. Either way, I don't think he's a tweener. Just to mention it, I've heard Huff mentioned at either position too.

Thoughts?

Kyle (Columbus, Ga): Should the Falcons take a secondary player or a running back to eventually replace Dunn?

Mel Kiper Jr.: They will be looking at a DB for sure, be it corner or safety. They also need upgrades at OT and on defense. But Michael Huff of Texas is exactly what this team needs with his speed and toughness in the secondary. They could get a RB in the mix, but it's not pressing for them right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:47 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Huff is big...nasty...tough, and i like him...we need some voice in the secondary...on our whole F'in team for that matter

Post subject: Makes you wonder about how hard he hits
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:17 pm 

I guess I have always thoughtthat size of a player along with right technique will produce a big hitter but not always the case.You remember jack tatum I don't think he was nearly as big as some of these safeties today around 220-230 pounds yet was one of the most feared hitters.Same with Ronnie Lott so maybe Huff can deliever enough hitting power to make other teams fear us and we know he has speed to even play corner. I doubt if Williams and Huff are both available will make for an interesting selection if the falcon's have to choose.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:10 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

we have to root for players like santonio holmes, the rb from memphis, cutler, and ledell white to get drafted ahead of us. if all goes well we will get either the DL from Penn State or BC or Jimmy Williams of Huff. we can't go wrong either way.

if we had a choice secondary is the more glaring need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:26 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I'd much rather have either Williams or Huff, than a DE. To me the secondary is a much bigger concern. I def wouldn't take Kiwanuka any way you cut it.