It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Manny Lawson 45 vertical jump pics !
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:31 pm 

http://northcarolinastate.scout.com/2/423979.html

Chk out manny lawson and his vertical jump,45 inches.His hand is reaches top of the backboard and still rising,incredible.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:32 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Both of their ends look small...until he had all the weight on there, and he got my attention...Good lord he jumped high as %#@ for a D End...simply amazing

When is Manny Lawson expected to go in the draft?Mario Williams?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:38 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Lawson I believe measures about 6-5/245. Williams is like 6-6/280, roughly the same size as Julius Peppers.

Williams is expected to be a Top 10 pick, probably going in the bottom half of that area.

Lawson, some think is a potential mid 1st rounder, but he's much like Demarcus Ware. He could jump all the way to the middle of the 1st round as a 3-4 OLB or could be an early 2nd rounder. Nobody knows.

Most experts agree that Lawson had the better season among the pair, but doesn't have quite the NFL body that Williams has.

After the big 3 DEs (Williams, Kiwi, and Hali), Lawson is probably the consensus #4. But in terms of top 3-4 OLBs, he's probably #1.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:30 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

To tell you the truth I'd take Lawson before Kiwi & Hali.

Kiwi has bust written all over him IMO. And I also believe Hali is overrated.

However I wouldn't take Lawson at 15, but I would have to believe we may be looking at him considering how much "scouting" we put into Ware AND Merriman last year. (Both DE in college but moved to a 3-4 OLB in the NFL)

But I agree with Pudge about him most likely being a 3-4 OLB, all the reports are calling Lawson this years Ware but a better athlete.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:09 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

vickisthebest wrote:
To tell you the truth I'd take Lawson before Kiwi & Hali.

Kiwi has bust written all over him IMO. And I also believe Hali is overrated.

However I wouldn't take Lawson at 15, but I would have to believe we may be looking at him considering how much "scouting" we put into Ware AND Merriman last year. (Both DE in college but moved to a 3-4 OLB in the NFL)

But I agree with Pudge about him most likely being a 3-4 OLB, all the reports are calling Lawson this years Ware but a better athlete.

Yeah Kiwi got stopped by OL Daryn Colledge (6'4" 295)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:22 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I hope Lawson can somehow fall to the middle second round...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:08 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I keep hearing about how Hali is over-rated but I am not really sure why...I will be honest and say I havn't exactly done a lot of scouting of my own and I am not terribly familiar with a lot of the players...I did however watch the senior bowl and most of the practices prior to it and Hali really impressed me....I saw him make whoever was playing LT against him in the game look terrible...he ran around him and through him on several occasions....someone please enlighten me to what the problem with him is....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:26 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I think Hali will most likely be an average player in the NFL. He could be an above average DE, but I would have a s*** fit if we took him at #15.

Does not have great size and is a little on the short side
People on here keep making a big deal not to draft a small DE, but yet they want Hali.hmmmm

Lacks a wide variety of pass rush moves
Same problem as Kiwi, but here the thing....if we draft someone at 15, especially a DE we are going to need them to come in imidiately and make an impact. Kiwi and Hali would take atleast a year to lern other moves.

Has short arms and doesn't use his hands well
Again, size and technique is a problem

Can be engulfed by bigger offensive lineman and double teams
This is our biggest problem with our DL why would we put more of the same? We see what happens to us when we face a huge line, IMO drafting Hali would not solve or even take a step to fix that problem

Made a lot of his plays rushing off the edge
Again.....we would be wasting the #15 pick and millions of dollars on NOTHING but a speed rusher who would have to move to the other side of the line because Kerney is staying put

Probably doesn't have the frame to get much bigger than he already is.
In other words cant put on anymore muscle. Is as strong as he will get.

Link - http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scouti ... ahali.html

But remember, this is JMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:48 pm 

Good points vickis. Perhaps Atlanta should just let the DE spot go in the draft and go after a DB at least in the first round. It is clear the better value at the 15th spot is in the DB's that will be available. Some of the DE's are starting to look like late 1st and early 2nd round choices. Average overall performances in the Senior Bowl coupled with overall smallish size of the DE class might make this one of the weaker positions in the draft.

As it stands today I'd be happy with Williams, Huff, or Hali at the 15th spot. The priority going to Huff/Williams and that has been my stance the entire time. Then in the 2nd round or even 3rd round look for a DE that can play with Davis and challange to start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:33 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Again I don't want to come across like I know exactly what I am talking about but....
What I got to see from Hali disspelled a few of those things to me...now granted I am coming to all of these conclusions based soley on his performance in the senior bowl, but I think that's not the worst place to scout talent...

From what I saw Hali has a good rip move (he tossed some poor tackle aside like yesterday's trash), a good spin move (not totally unlike Dwight freeny, but then again not nearly as good as his either) and a good bull rush...that and considering he's 6'3 270, well that's not really small....Lawson is small, he's 230....

I am not trying to say Hali is gonna be an all world end by any means, but he did show me more in the senior bowl than any other defensive lineman did.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:13 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Steve-O wrote:
I keep hearing about how Hali is over-rated but I am not really sure why...I will be honest and say I havn't exactly done a lot of scouting of my own and I am not terribly familiar with a lot of the players...I did however watch the senior bowl and most of the practices prior to it and Hali really impressed me....I saw him make whoever was playing LT against him in the game look terrible...he ran around him and through him on several occasions....someone please enlighten me to what the problem with him is....

Hali played on the other side of the field than what you're thinking in the Senior Bowl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:18 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Lawson is small, he's 230....

...and thats why Lawson will most likely be a 3-4 OLB, plus no one is questioning whether Lawson can add more weight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:45 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Hali played on the other side of the field than what you're thinking in the Senior Bowl.[/quote]

Your right....my bad....so Hali made some poor RT look like a punk....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:26 am 

Vickis, good points. But I think you only reiterate to the world that scouts have never loved a DE that wasn't at least 6-4 and weight at least 265 pounds.

If you read both the positives and negatives on Hali at NFL Draft Countdown, they will sound eerily similar to what they were saying about Freeney coming out of school.

Again, I don't want to say that I think Hali is going to be as good as Freeney. But I just want to point out that people were not as high on Freeney because he was small and a "liability" vs. the run. Also if you read some of the reports on Freeney back in '02, they are a bit reminiscent on what some are saying about Hali. I should also point out that Hali is an inch taller and has longer arms than Freeney and they weigh roughly the same amount.

Also, I think a lot of people have a slighted conception on what actually qualifies as a Top 15 DE. If you look at the past 10 drafts, 17 DEs have been drafted in the Top 15 (I'm not counting guys like Suggs and Boulware who primarly played OLB once they hit the league), and among those guys the figures are a bit interesting. I looked only at the first 5 years of each's career.

6 of those 17 (35%) managed to rack up double digit sacks at least once during the first 3 years of their career. A 7th (Shaun Ellis) managed to reach the feat in his 4th season.

8 of those 17 (47%) managed to rack up at least 8 sacks at least once during the first 3 years of their career. I picked 8, because it seems to be a good cutting off point for what quantifies as a good season in terms of sack production.

1 of those 17 (6%) managed to rack up at least 8 sacks in all 3 of his initial years in the NFL. (Of course it was Freeney).

I also looked at which players have been the most consistent over the past 3 years. Only 7 players in the entire NFL at the DE position (again not including 3-4 OLBs) have managed at least 8 sacks in each of the past 3 years (2003-05). They are and where they were drafted:

Simeon Rice (1st)
Dwight Freeney (1st)
Jason Taylor (1st)
Greg Ellis (1st)
Aaron Schobel (2nd)
Reggie Hayward (3rd)
Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (5th)

In the past 3 years, only 35 (33 of which were starters) players have managed to hit the 8-sack mark at least once. Now I'm not exactly sure how many different players have been considered regular starters at DE in the past 3 years, but there's 64 right now in the league, and let's assume that every team has changed 1 starter in the past 3 years (only 24 of the 35 players managed to start each year counted for them), making a total of 96 starting DEs over the past (which IMO is a very conservative figure). It equates to about a third (34%) of starting DEs manage 8 sacks in a year.

As most of you probably know, I'm a stats guy. So when something is under 50% for me, it means it has a low probability. So for me these stats tell me it's a low probability no matter where you draft a guy in that you're going to wind up with a starter that gets at least 8 sacks in a year.

And I think this all seems to sum up that I think many of you may have lofty expectations on a pass rusher we take in Round 1. I'm not saying you should not want this, but I'm just thinking that these seems illustrate that likelihood of us finding a player of that caliber are pretty low, and that's where we take him #1 overall, 15th, or 121st in the draft.

If we drafted Hali, and he had 4 sacks as a rookie, 8 in his 2nd year, and 6 in his 3rd, you would look at those numbers and have an "Eh..." reaction. But what these stats sorta show is that if he was about to produce at that level, it wouldn't mean he's a phenom, but it's a lot more than what other teams get from their DEs that are taking with the expectations of being stars.

Expecting to get a DE that is a "sack master" you can look at 3 targets this off-season and only 3 targets:

John Abraham - UFA if he's not franchised.
Robert Mathis - RFA, but only if you are willing to part a 1st & 3rd for him.
Mario Williams - draft, he is Peppers-like

Anyone else we may target whether it's Hali, Kiwanuka, Darren Howard, Raheem Brock, or Kalimba Edwards are all "2nd tier pass rushers" in that they are more likely to be the types that could rack up 6-8 sacks in a given year, but more than that is doubtful.

Now if it's the running game that is stressing you and a replacement for BRady Smith that can be just as good or better in stopping the run, you shouldn't even be talking about Hali or any DE in Round 1. Instead you should be looking in Rounds 3-5 prospects since thats where the run stoppers are. And as for free agents, we should be talking about big 280/290 pound guys like Aaron Kampman, Tony Weaver, Vanden Bosch, Ryan Denney, Cory Redding, etc.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:12 pm 

Working off of Pudge's numbers Brady Smith has been our run stopper since coming to Atlanta. But he has also managed good sack numbers if you consider 8 sacks as the cut off for a good year as a pass rusher

05: 3 Sacks
04: 6 Sacks
03: 4 Sacks
02: 7 Sacks
01: 8 Sacks
00: 5 Sacks

I do think Atlanta needs to find a replacement that is a run stopper first and a pass rusher second. So far Vanden Bosch is a one hit wonder and whether or not he will repeat is a question mark (although he would be a nice pickup). I would rather pickup Kampman who has solid numbers since being drafted that seem to mimic Smith's fairly close. I especially like his performance last year (81 Tackles, 6.5 sacks). Kampman has shown steady improvement as opposed to Vanden Bosch's up and down development (partly due to injury).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:38 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Point taken Pudge except one thing.......when Freeney came out we all KNEW he was nothing but a speed rusher and he had the 40 time to back it up.....4.5 almost 4.4 I believe........with Hali they all call him a speed rusher but his 40 time would rival our offensive linemen, they say he can be a stop End, but teams ran right at him. Rice (I think thats his name) was the stop End for PSU, not Hali.

Don't get me wrong.....its not that I hate Hali.......I watched most of Penn States games this year and he was probably the best DL they had, but I would not take him at 15. Not this year.

I think we can all agree that we need to strengthen our DL but IMO Hali would not do that. He would just give us more of the same. He gets bullied vs. bigger lineman, (a huge problem we have) is not effective vs. the run (another huge problem we have).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:39 pm 

Wasn't Hali's forty time in the ballpark of 4.6? I thought that's what I saw on one of his draft dockets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:47 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

dirtybirdnw wrote:
Wasn't Hali's forty time in the ballpark of 4.6? I thought that's what I saw on one of his draft dockets.

Nope, 4.75-4.8 at best. He is nowhere near the athlete that Freeney is, which is why the comparison is invalid. He is most like Alex Brown, but not as good an athlete, nor as highly regarded a football player. Brown moved from LB to DE, Hali moved from DT to DE. Anyhow, long story short, I would MUCH rather have Huff or Williams than Hali. I'm not buying into the Kiper-driven Hali hype.

I would much rather take Lawson and wait a couple years for him to blow up to Peppers' size and become a monster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:55 pm 

I think the consensus for picks that would make the majority of this board happy are as follows:

OT D'Brickshaw Ferguson
DE Mario Williams
DB Michael Huff
CB Jimmy Williams

I have seen more than one person note that DeAngelo Williams would be an acceptable pick if he was available at the 15th pick. What about Lendale White?

Personally if Ferguson, M. Williams, J. Williams, Huff, or D. Williams (gotta love that) aren't available at the 15th pick we should trade down. I wouldn't move any higher than the 10th pick to draft any of those players either. Anything above the 10th pick we would have to drastically overpay to aquire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:56 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Nope, 4.75-4.8 at best.

Yep. The best I saw was 4.7. Thats also another knock on him......he is awful slow for a speed rusher. He has a fast and powerful first step, but thats about it. All a big OT has to do is step back and let Hali get his first step then push him on the outside of the pocket or back into the guard.

I cant get it out of my head but whenever I think of Hali in a falcon uni I think of the KC game 2 years ago...............

I'm going to go bang my head against the wall for awhile to get that game out of memory :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

My main gripe about Hali is that he doesn't look any different than Chauncy Davis to me & Chauncy might be a better athlete. If we're looking DE in the draft I would take Ray Edwards over anyone but Mario Williams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:03 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

[quote="dirtybirdnw"]I think the consensus for picks that would make the majority of this board happy are as follows:

OT D'Brickshaw Ferguson
DE Mario Williams
DB Michael Huff
CB Jimmy Williams

I have seen more than one person note that DeAngelo Williams would be an acceptable pick if he was available at the 15th pick. What about Lendale White?

I'd be happy with any of the above mentioned players...

I think LenDale is gonna be a better back than DeAngelo....he just runs so dadgummed hard...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:16 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Lendale White isn't as good as Duckett was coming out of college. Running behind that line and having 2 Heisman players around him makes him look like a great player. He could be a very good RB, but not in a system like ours. His ideal team would be Pittsburgh, Seattle, or KC where they have a powerful run blocking line. DeAngelo Williams is a rare talent along the lines of Marshall Faulk and Barry Sander than can completely take over a game and carry a team. I will just say I disagree with you, a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:50 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I agree that the burst that D. Williams shows is very very impressive, and I do think very highly of him....but at the same time LenDale impresses me a lot....his feet look a lot quicker than TJ's are so I don't know that I agree that TJ was better coming out of college....

I also prefer big bruising backs to smaller more explosive runners...but you probably do have a point in that White would be better in Pittsburg or KC than he would be here...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:55 am 

The_Incomparable wrote:
I would much rather take Lawson and wait a couple years for him to blow up to Peppers' size and become a monster.

It could happen. Reggie Hayward and Bert Berry are two good examples of undersized players a few years ago that now have pretty good size. Hayward measures about 6-5/270 now, and Berry 6-3/275. Just 3 or 4 years ago, they were 6-5/255 and 6-3/250. Lawson is currently listed at 6-5/240, so probably the most we can really expect him to bulk up to is about 265. No way he ever gets up to the 280-285 range that Peppers is in and still retains that sort of athleticism.

But what do we do about the starting position until Lawson is ready? Because at his current size, is he a full-time player? Definitely not. A 240-pound guy no matter how quick he is can't handle what NFL OTs throw at him, especially guys like Tra Thomas who are going to have 100 pounds on him.

I like Lawson, but all roads seem to point to him moving to OLB. And even though he's probably the best guy as you said, we'd still have a hole at the starting RDE spot until he's ready (if ever) to be more than a 3rd down guy (like Robert Mathis).

vickisthebest wrote:
The best I saw was 4.7. Thats also another knock on him......he is awful slow for a speed rusher.

Actually, that's not slow at all. It's just people have gotten so used to seeing the guys that run the 4.5 in recent drafts that they've become a bit spoiled. Frankly, 4.5 is cornerback speed. 4.6 is safety speed, and 4.7-4.9 is TE/DE speed. A DE that runs a 4.85 or higher is right in that he is not a speed rusher. But basically a 4.8 or lower shows he has good speed. Also remember that the 40 only measures running speed. If you want to get a more accurate telling of someone's upfield explosion or edge speed, the 10-yard dash or shuttle run are better indicators. A DE that runs 4.65 or under basically means he has the speed to play LB in the NFL. Just to give you some reference on some 40 times (all from CNN/SI.com):

Keith Brooking - 4.65
Patrick Kerney - 4.68
Julius Peppers - 4.68
Grant Wistrom - 4.7
Alex Brown - 4.73
Aaron Schobel - 4.78
Osi Umenyiora - 4.82
Shaun Ellis - 4.85
Greg Ellis - 4.88
Aaron Kampman - 4.92
Adewale Ogunleye - 5.01

Obviously, a lot of those players are much faster than what they were timed at (Peppers is a 4.4 on the field), so take it with a grain of salt, or take it that a 40 between 4.7-4.9 is about average for your typical NFL DE.

The_Incomparable wrote:
Lendale White isn't as good as Duckett was coming out of college. Running behind that line and having 2 Heisman players around him makes him look like a great player. He could be a very good RB, but not in a system like ours.

I agree that White may not be the perfect fit for our system, but he is heads and heels a better player than Duckett. The only thing Duckett had coming out of school was amazing size and athleticism. He had little acceleration and didn't have outstanding vision. Granted, much of this was because he was still learning the RB position as he never played it prior to going to Michigan State. But White is just as good if not better than Ronnie Brown. I firmly believe that the Top 5 players in this draft:

Leinart, Young, White, Bush, and Ferguson

Make it as good as any other draft in NFL history. Perhaps a bit premature, but I have the feeling about those 5 players will make an NFL team pretty happy (I wasn't completely sold on Ferguson until he dominated at the Senior Bowl). This doesn't include guys like Hawk, Mario Williams, and DeAngelo Williams, who in a "normal" year would probably all be Top 5 picks.

As for Jimmy Williams, he's falling fast on my board. The bowl game ejection, skipping the senior bowl, and his lack of experience, are no longer being ignored. Before I was willing to ignore the negatives when it didn't look like we had another option at CB besides Huff. Now that Tye Hill has emerged, I'd pass on Williams. If Williams doesn't work out at the Combines, he'll be off my board. Not working out at the Combines means that the entire months of January and February, he would have done absolutely nothing to prove he's worthy of a Top 15 pick. We'll have to wait until VT's pro day sometime in March or April before we saw anything from Williams. IMO, Hill has shown with his workout at the Senior Bowl that if he was 2 or 3 inches taller, he would probably be the highest rated CB in this draft. At this point, the only thing exciting about Williams is his size and the fact that he went to VT (which should now stand for Virginia's Thugs). Woop-de-fricking-doo. Seems more and more like a taller version of Ronyell Whitaker.

Profile E-mail