It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ray Anderson...next GM in San Fran
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:05 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Lenny P is reporting that the 49ers have interest in Ray Anderson as their next top man:

Lenny P wrote:
The names most often floated this week in the Bay Area for a job whose title likely will be president of football operations: current Seattle vice president Mike Reinfelt; former Minnesota Vikings and Tennessee Titans president Jeff Diamond; and Joe Mendes, who is now out of the NFL but once held key front-office posts with the New England Patriots and Washington Redskins, among others.

But here's another name to strongly consider: Atlanta Falcons executive vice president and chief administrative officer Ray Anderson.

Although he has apparently flown beneath the radar in the Bay Area, ESPN.com has learned that Anderson recently met with York and Nolan for 10 hours. Anderson's name recently was mentioned as well as a potential candidate for the team presidency in Cleveland, but it now appears Browns owner Randy Lerner has decided not to fill the vacancy created by the resignation of John Collins two weeks ago. At least not for now.

A one-time player agent who also represented high-profile NFL and college head coaches, Anderson moved into the Falcons' front office in 2002, and knows the ropes from both sides of the negotiating table. Anderson has a diverse background and possesses the kind of consensus-building skills that should be attractive to the 49ers' brass. An added plus: Anderson is well-known and highly regarded in the Bay Area, where he lettered three times in football and twice in baseball at Stanford University.

This will be interesting IMO, since Ruskell got the job in Seattle due to some hard lobbying by McKay and now they are in the Super Bowl the very next year. Is McKay's front office going to become what Belichick and Holmgren's coaching staffs are and were? A prime recruiting ground?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:16 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

McKay got rid of him. he was the highest profile leftover from the Rankin regime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:55 am 

Actually Anderson was hired by Blank.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:08 pm 

Yeap. Anderson was hired when Blank couldn't get Ron Wolf or Rich McKay to come over and take over the team. He was primarily the cap guy while Hill served as the talent advisor as I perceived it. Hill found the players and Anderson signed them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:19 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I hope we can keep him unless we get Donahue former GM of the Bills...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:05 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I don't want a soul from Buffalo's front office setting foot on the grounds in Flowery Branch.....I mean for God's sake he thought JP Losman in the first was a good idea....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:06 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

With Brian Xanders being the cap guy for the Falcons, I'm not really sure exactly what Anderson does in McKay's regime. He's probably looking for the next challenge. I wish him nothing but the best...