It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vick rants on brother and QB coach
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:16 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Looks like Vick disagrees with the dismissal of his brother from Va. Tech and also reveals his displeasure of them releasing the QB coach and hiring another one without consulting him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2306452

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:25 am 
Superstar
Superstar

- yeah i found that too

The decision to fire his position coach, Mike Johnson, on Jan. 4 surprised Vick, who made the Pro Bowl twice in the last two years.

"It hurts me to see him go," Vick said. "I wish we could've kept him around. I don't know why he's gone, but that decision was made, and it's just something I've got to deal with."

Vick has not yet spoken to a Falcons official since head coach Jim Mora hired Bill Musgrave as quarterbacks coach on Tuesday. He wished the team had consulted him before making the moves.

"I think it would've been appropriate, but it's all good," Vick said. "I can't make those decisions. That's why they coach."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:34 am 
Veteran
Veteran

They have really hyped up the hiring of Musgrave since he has experience in this offense but now will Vick buy into his teachings considering the circumstances. I would like to think that Mike is a bigger professional and person than that so we will see when the season comes back around.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:44 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Mike has never been the real problem. The real problem has been the lack of talent along the O line. The fact that we're the #1 rushing team in the league and not one of our linemen got into the Pro Bowl should pretty much sum it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:16 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Well I think you can contribute some of that to the fact we have a bunch of no names up front. And it's probably going to remain that way just by the way Gibbs handles the OL.

Also I think there is an overarching perception that the Falcons running attack is fueled by Michael Vick. I would say they definitely are connected, but when you watch most of the talking heads on ESPN and such, they will say Vick's running ability opens up lanes for Dunn & Co, which I think doesn't quite give the OL their due since they are the guys actually opening up the running lanes.

I also believe that the Pro Bowl is still primarily a popularity contest. Now it doesn't mean that the OL or other players that made the team this year don't deserve it, but if like it came down to a tie between Jonathan Ogden and Matt Light, you know Ogden is going to win mostly because of his past success. The Broncos finished 2nd in the NFL in rushing and were among the Top 5 or so teams in pass protection, and didn't have a single Pro Bowler.

Not saying we definitely don't need more talent up front, because we definitely do. But I don't think the measuring stick should be whether we put a guy in the Pro Bowl.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:44 pm 

I think that Mora Jr. needs to put his foot down on this matter and not let Vick start talking like he runs this team. I think it is also clear that what Vick considers to be progression is not what everyone else in the world considers progression. If Vick thinks he's made great progress with Johnson he needs to be checked for head injuries.

Sometimes I wonder if this team needed a a coach that won't take anything from the players. I remember the biggest comment when Mora Jr. came in is that it was like going from boot camp to a country club. The players liked the lighter workouts and pre-season progression. So far Mora Jr. has rarely called out players and seems to be soft for our team to be so undisciplined this past season.

I would really like to see Mora Jr. go to players and make it clear that he runs this team and his changes are a matter of fact and not open to question. Having Vick come out and question Mora Jr.'s coaching changes just undermines his authority with the team.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:42 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

When was the last time a team, other than us, lead the league in rushing & didn't have a single Pro Bowl lineman? Probably never. Run blocking is great and all, but we don't have $130million invested in our RB. Things have to change up front and Omiyale is not the answer...

Post subject: Don't they get it?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:41 pm 

I hope the falcon's aren't serious about believing a rookie who has yet to play a down can do a good job at left tackle.Omiyale was drafted in the lower rounds what makes the falcon's think he will do well against the likes of mike rucker and some of the quality def ends in the league. Does the falcon management even care about keeping vick healthy?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:42 am 

Well it's been the M.O. of Gibbs career is that guys in their 2nd year of the scheme earn starting jobs. Nalen, Dan Neil, Lepsis, you can name a bunch of guys in Denver that didn't start as rookies, but landed the job in their 2nd year, and usually they have all had success.

Also, Comp there have been 2 teams that led in the NFL rushing recently that didn't have a Pro Bowler. The Vikings in 2002 (it was the only year besides this past year that Matt Birk didn't make the Pro Bowl in the past 5 years) and the 49ers in 1999.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:11 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Pudge wrote:
Well it's been the M.O. of Gibbs career is that guys in their 2nd year of the scheme earn starting jobs. Nalen, Dan Neil, Lepsis, you can name a bunch of guys in Denver that didn't start as rookies, but landed the job in their 2nd year, and usually they have all had success.

Also, Comp there have been 2 teams that led in the NFL rushing recently that didn't have a Pro Bowler. The Vikings in 2002 (it was the only year besides this past year that Matt Birk didn't make the Pro Bowl in the past 5 years) and the 49ers in 1999.

We have lead it for 2 years now and not one has made it, EVER in their careers. Birk & McKinnie both play in Minn & have Pro Bowl appearances. The 49ers had some old Pro bowler I'm sure, but I can't recall.

Also, Lepsis got spanked by Pittsburgh in the AFCCG. You know who won't get spanked by them? A first rounder named Walter Jones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:14 pm 

For every Walter Jones there are a dozen Kenyatta Walker's and Bryant McKinnie's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:59 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Bryant McKinnie has been to the Pro Bowl and is considered one of the top Tackles in the NFC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:03 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

McKinnie might be a Pro Bowler but I've seen that poor behemoth get smoked on many an occasion....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:22 pm 

The_Incomparable wrote:
Bryant McKinnie has been to the Pro Bowl and is considered one of the top Tackles in the NFC.

I'm not sure where you're getting your info from, but I don't think McKinnie has ever been to the Pro Bowl, and has long been considered a disappointment by people in and outside Minnesota. He played better this past season, but I believe as much of that was due to how bad the rest of the Vikings OL was as to any improvements in technique and ability he's made. Defenses could now exploit weaker links like Liwienski, Rosenthal, Johnson, and Fowler when before McKinnie was one of Minnesota's weakest links.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:13 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Yeah he hasn't been to the Pro Bowl, I thought he went in 2003. Still, he is a quality LT and gets little credit for how good a job he really does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:05 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Everyone knows how I feel about our o-line that's for sure but Vick's comments this past season do strike a nerve. It's not so much what's getting said but how he's saying it. It's almost like the pressure is getting inside his head or something.

Maybe I'm just reading it wrong and Lord knows, he's asked a billion questions a day so I can sort of understand why he'd pop off with something but still.

As for McKinnie, he hasn't lived up to his hype at all to this point. However, this past season showed serious improvement and he may be turning the corner...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:42 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Vick should distance himself from his brother, at least in the press anyway. It will tarnish his image and to a certain extent, the image of the Falcons. Ron Mexico has enough to worry about besides the image of his little bro'.