It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sal Alosi new strength/conditioning coach
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:02 pm 

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/article.jsp?id=10621

I don't remember seeing this posted even though it's a little old. Alosi was with the Jets after getting started with Hostra. he's young and Mora is certainly in love with him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:57 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Well Mora better be. Al Miller leaves a huge void with this team. He saw each and every player on this roster from their days as a green rookie to where they are at now. Hopefully the players will take well to whatever program Alosi institutes.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:43 pm 

To be honest I questioned Al Miller a little bit. The league regards him as an elite trainer but one of this teams biggest problems was running out of gas in the second half of the season. There have been times in past seasons where production takes a significant dip because the players just can't seem to handle a full season.

I'm welcome the change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:56 pm 

True, the Falcons haven't been a strong 2nd half team, but I don't think it's a mere coincidence that has only occurred since Michael Vick took over the starting job.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:43 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Pudge wrote:
True, the Falcons haven't been a strong 2nd half team, but I don't think it's a mere coincidence that has only occurred since Michael Vick took over the starting job.

??????? Vick has put us in position to win almost every close game in the 4th wuarter since he got here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:46 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

To be honest I questioned Al Miller a little bit. The league regards him as an elite trainer but one of this teams biggest problems was running out of gas in the second half of the season. There have been times in past seasons where production takes a significant dip because the players just can't seem to handle a full season.

I'm welcome the change.

- Very good point, especially for the D. I too welcome the change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:40 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Lets look at out season performances since vick became our starter.

05 - 6-2 1st, 2-6 2nd
04 - 6-2 1st, 5-3 2nd
03 - Doesnt count......we played horrible the whole season (5-11)*
02 - 5-3 1st, 4-3-1

This does support Pudges arguement. But I think someone should go back and see if trend was in place before Vick got here.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/history/yearly.jsp

* - Vick started the final 4 games of the season and went 3-1, but went

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:53 pm 

Ask and ye-shall-receive.

2001: 4-4, 3-5 (7-9)
2000: 2-6, 2-6 (4-12)
1999: 2-6, 3-5 (5-11)
1998: 6-2, 8-0 (14-2)
1997: 1-7, 6-2 (7-9)
1996: 0-8, 3-5 (3-13)
1995: 5-3, 4-4 (9-7)
1994: 4-4, 3-5 (7-9)
1993: 2-6, 4-4 (6-10)
1992: 3-5, 3-5 (6-10)
1991: 4-4, 6-2 (10-6)
1990: 3-5, 2-6 (5-11)

So from 1990 to 2001 the Falcons have had 6 seasons where they performed better in the 2nd half and 6 seasons where they performed worse in the 2nd half of the season. So basically it is a wash. In regards to the pre-Vick and Vick era Pudge is dead on as far as 2nd half of the season record.

The biggest difference is of course as follows: 12 years before Vick 3-9 for winning seasons 2-1-1 for winning seasons (note the 1 losing season was 03 when Vick missed the whole season and the 'tie' was our .500 year).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:15 pm 

In regards to Vick in the 2nd half, I was more thinking of the last month of the season. Excluding '03, it seems that we usually have gone 1-3 in December since Vick took over.

I think Miller should have done a better job of correcting that issue, but I'd be lying if I didn't have some reservations about Vick's mental toughness rather than physical to play a full 16-game schedule.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:42 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Good lord Pudge, you sure have turned into a sour Salley in the offseason. The DEFENSE is the ones you should be questioning about toughness and ability to get the job done. There is a reason MxKay said we're going to be looking at defense early in the draft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:46 pm 

I don't know Comp. I was just thinking about Roethlisberger and the Steelers recently, and him stated one of the biggest adjustments to the NFL was getting used to the 16-game schedule, and that when the Steelers were in the playoffs a year ago he was dead tired, and didn't have enough physically or mentally to play well and thus his play slipped. Anyone that followed the Steelers in '04 would have noticed there was a noticeable decline in his play from Week 11 on. Sure, the Steelers managed to keep on winning, but you could tell his skills weren't as sharp.

I just looked it up, and if you exclude 2003, the Falcons have gone a combined 5-10 in the final 5 weeks of '02, '04, and '05, the years Vick has been a starter.

In the final month or so of the season, we revert to being a 5-win team. When you look at the previous 5 weeks of the season in those years, teh Falcons have a record 11-3-1. And then looking at the combined records of the team in the first 6 weeks of the season, we are 12-6.

Is it merely coincidence that the team starts to lose his edge is about the same time a college football season would be ending?

After looking up the stats however, it's not exactly a new trend as the Falcons struggled at the end of the season both in 2000 and 2001. But I look at Reeves first 3 years here, and the numbers separated over those 3 points in the season then.

Last 5 weeks:

12-3

Middle 5 weeks:

7-8

First 6 weeks:

7-11

So at least from '97 and '99, the Falcons were a team that got stronger as the season wore. Considering Miller was here then, I don't think he's the major factor. Is it the coaches? Maybe. The players? Probably.

I'm not trying to be overly critical of Vick or anything. But there are definitely reservations about him, and I think all Falcon fans should have a few. I think one of mine is his ability to finish a season strong.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:07 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

December Recordss with Vick as Starter

02 - 2-3
03 - 3-1 *
04 - 2-3
05 - 1-3 (also had a game in January which we lost)

* Only games Vick started all season.

But you cant entirely blame Vick for our shot comings during the final stretch of the season. Here are our point allowed per game for the month of december since Vick became our starter.

02 - 25.4
03 - 23.5
04 - 24.4
05 - 25.6

You simply cannot win in the NFL when you allow that many points per game. And I am almost 100% positive Vick isint responsible for the other team scoring on us.

was just thinking about Roethlisberger and the Steelers recently, and him stated one of the biggest adjustments to the NFL was getting used to the 16-game schedule, and that when the Steelers were in the playoffs a year ago he was dead tired, and didn't have enough physically or mentally to play well and thus his play slipped.

Well looks like he grew out of that this year. He played phenominal in the playoffs with the exception of the SB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:38 am 

I'm not anymore. In 2000 and 2001 the Falcons didn't finish well either and Vick was not the starter then. And you're right, the defense has had a noticeable dropoff over the final weeks of the season. Looking at the points allowed in those middle 5 weeks I used where we were 11-3-1, the defense allowed:

2002 - 20.6 ppg
2004 - 16.6 ppg
2005 - 16.6 ppg

So there is definite drop over the last month of the season to the middle of the season. Looking at '97-'99 as a comparison:

Year - Final 5 Weeks - Middle 5 Weeks

1997 - 13.2 ppg - 21.4 ppg
1998 - 16.2 - 12.0
1999 - 15.8 - 14.8

Although in both '98 and '99 the defense allowed more points at the end of the year, but numbers were still under 17 points which I think shows that a defense is playing tough if not great.

But I find these stats equally interesting. Vick's passer rating by month in 2002, 2004, and 2005 combined.

September - 87.2
October - 73.0
November - 92.9
December - 62.0
January - 61.2

It's clear that Vick doesn't have much left in the tank after Thanksgiving it seems. I don't want to say it's all conditioning, but it's probably a part of it. But I think it's a combination of all 3: 1) Vick 2) Conditioning 3) Defense. And we have to improve in all three aspects if we want to be a serious SB contender.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:09 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

If your offense cannot move the ball and is constantly going three and out, it does not matter how strong your defensive players are or how well conditioned...they will eventually wear down and give up big plays and points.

I know this is all over used and hokey sounding, but it is a team sport. It does happen that a team will get there because one part of their team is so overwhelming and can carry the load, like the Ravens, but that is so rare as to be memorable by someone like me that could care less about other teams history.

I am not blaming Vick for our second half decline, but I do include him in the teams lack of preparation and overall desire. And I include everyone from Blank down to the towel washers.

I saw that movie 'Miracle' about a week ago, and how the coach of the US Olympic hockey team drove those guys and had them so conditioned they could outskate everyone.

Conditioning is only one part of the equation, but ask a boxer, if your legs give out, you can throw in the towel.