It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How do we address the DE position?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:58 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

With the strong possibility of Brady Smith being released for several reasons the need for a starting DE is apparent. So how do we address this position? I personally believe Abraham will re-sign or get the tag. Even if not he would probably be too expensive for us considering the other areas that will have to be addressed.

The draft? Mario Williams will be long gone before our selection and Tamba Hali could also. So what do we do here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:57 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Somehow we need to find one in FA. I would rather us focus early in the draft on our secondary. Guys like Huff, Williams, Hill, Watkins, Blue and others interest me. I say take Williams in the first and then either Watkins or a DE in the second if we can't get one in FA. Of course I don't know who's available in FA so it might not be the best route.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:21 am 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I think there will be more options in FA in a few more weeks but I would think DE should be gotten in FA for what we need...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:35 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Raheem Brock is a FA run stuffing DE from the Colts who could fill Brady's shoes very nicely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:21 am 
Veteran
Veteran

I really like the idea of a speed rushing end opposite Kerney. I also would rather have a rookie end starting than a rookie DB but that of course is just one person's opinion. One of the reasons I am hoping for two vet safties to be signed during FA.

I've gone over the FA defensive ends and I honestly don't see one that I really care for that we have a realistic shot at signing. Kinda like the FA offensive tackles, seems the pickings this year are a little slim.

As to a FA end, Carter's (San Francisco) name has been mentioned and he might be our best bet if the FO wants to fill the need via FA.

In the 2nd round of the draft their seems to be some good choices available but most of those kids seem awful light. They could be better suited to play OLB in a 3-4 D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:32 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

While a speed rushing end sounds nice, the reality is we need a wide body to help stop the run who can also rush the passer. We have to keep teams from running all over us at will like they did last year, and a speed rushing end isn't going to help that at all. Andre Carter, John Abraham, and the like would be like signing Derrick Brooks in the offseason; that is to say it would be completely useless. I would like to see us sign Brock & draft Ray Edwards to groom as the RDE of the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:57 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I'm in a similar boat to Comp, in that I think we should look for a run stuffer in free agency, and use the draft to upgrade in speed.

I like Buffalo's Ryan Denney. He and Brady Smith are very similar players, in that they aren't great pass rushers but can get after the QB a bit. Denney plays the run well.

Kyle Vanden Bosch is a good option. He had a breakout year as a pass rusher (12.5 sacks), but he's doubtful to ever again get more than half that. But the problem with signing Vanden Bosch, is that this past year was the first time he hasn't been injured, and he's even more of an injury risk than Brady Smith has been, so throwing a lot of $$$ at him is unwise.

Aaron Kampman is another solid 2-down DE that had a career high in sacks this past year (6.5 sacks), but he's likely to land a big $$$ contract from Green Bay. Tony Weaver is another solid run stopper that likely is probably going to receive a big $$$ contract.

Jared DeVries, Brett Keisel, and Carl Powell are quality 2-down guys that are ideal as #3s rather than starters. Darren Howard, Raheem Brock are better pass rushers than run stoppers, but are likely out of our price range.

I'm not sure what type of money we can spend in free agency, but I imagine it will be hard to attract anyone of significance if we are limited to only maybe a $3-4 million signing bonus.

Brock, Howard, Kampman, and Weaver are all starting quality guys, while everyone is better as part of a rotation.

But I think if we can get someone that can play the run in free agency, we can focus on adding a pass rusher in the draft that can be a situational player in the near future.

Hali in Round 1, Kiwanuka in Round 2, Anderson in Round 3, Haralson in Round 4 would be good options IMO.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:56 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Brock is actually very stout against the run, as he is the same size as Brady (6'4", 274lbs). Either way, I don't really care who it is but we need a guy who can hold the point of attack. If we want a better pass rusher there are plenty of those in the draft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:23 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Somehow we need to find one in FA. I would rather us focus early in the draft on our secondary. Guys like Huff, Williams, Hill, Watkins, Blue and others interest me. I say take Williams in the first and then either Watkins or a DE in the second if we can't get one in FA.

- I agree with taking Jimmy Williams. We all see how DeAngelo helped the secondary (although obviously he can't do it by himself). Jimmy's a very similiar player, except even more physical (6'3, 215), just not as fast (well who is).

I'd like to find a DE in free agency if possible. I don't like Kiwi and I'm not sure the other two will drop to 15.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:47 pm 

I still see Atlanta taking a DB in the draft unless Mario falls into our laps but I doubt that happens. As far as DE goes I wouldn't be surprised to see Atlanta not only draft a DE in the 2nd or 3rd round but also go out and try and get a guy like Vanden Bosch or Kampman (which are my two favorites this off-season). Not only that we have Davis on the roster so we can split the snaps at the DE spot if we get a 2-down or injury risk this offseason. Add another prospect to the mix and we have a solid rotation at the DE spots.

I'm starting to think that Kerney has become a 2 down end for that matter. He never really had the energy he had from the season before last. He seemed to fade down the stretch of the games. Perhaps it's time to start using him a little more situationally rather than every down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:33 am 

Although most of us have mixed opinions about him, I firmly believe that Hali is exactly the type of player McKay & Mora want at RDE. Basically, unless Huff or Williams are there, I see us taking him. This is a rough outline to what I think the Falcons will do:

1. DB/DE
2. DB. (S or CB, whichever we didn't take in Round 1)
3. best avaliable. (McKay has thus far taken 2 guys: Schaub & Beck that played positions that weren't considered very high needs going into the draft)
4. DE (if not taken in Round 1) or best available

As for best available, I wouldn't be surprised to see us looking at WR or DT in rounds 3 or 4. Possibly QB as well (even if Schaub stays, but still a good possibility if we keep him), and a dark horse being TE.

I'd suspect that needs at RB and OL will be filled in Rounds 5-7.

Profile E-mail