It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Schaub to Detroit makes the most sense to me
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:52 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports ... enDocument

As most know, it was widely reported back in 2004 that the Rams were set to take Schaub at #91. The Falcons knowing this, took him at #90 because they felt they weren't going to be able to get him in Round 4. So in essence, McKay "stole" Schaub from Martz & Co. The Rams were then "forced" to take DE Tony Hargrove and later QB Jeff Smoker. Smoker probably won't make it in St. Louis beyond this year's training camp, and Hargrove hasn't exactly been reminding folks in St. Louis of either Grant Wistrom or Bryce Fisher. I'm sure they are probably a few Rams fans out there thinking "What if..."

But anyway, it would seem that Schaub's development thus far would only greatly enhance Martz's previous notions of his skilll. NOw that he's OC in Detroit, it would make the most sense if we shipped Schaub off to Detroit rather than some of the other destinations.

Dallas? Doesn't make a lot of sense for the Cowboys to give up a #1 or #2 for Schaub when they gave up a #3 for Henson. Especially when their need at QB is not that high. They have some time to develop a late round prospect since Bledsoe likely will be around for a few more years.

Cincinnati? Maybe, it makes some sense. The Bengals are doubtful if Palmer will suit up this year, and getting Schaub is a short-term stopgap. But what happens in 2007? Do the BEngals then trade Schaub again, or just keep him on the bench for a year. I only see that trade happening if the Bengals are unable to keep Kitna and don't find it easy picking up another vet in free agency.

Miami? Why would they go after Schaub, when they can get a better fit in that offense with Maddox? Sure, Schaub is a better player than Maddox, but NIck Saban doesn't quite come off to me as a guy that falls in love with young QBs (all those guys from the Parcells tree are like that). In 28 drafts in which his disciples (Parcells himself, Saban, Coughlin, and Belichick) have administered drafts since 1993, they have taken a grand total of 3 QBs (Bledsoe, Manning, and Pennington) in Round 1 or 2. Is Schaub of that calilber? I don't think so, and thus I don't see Dallas or Miami having a ton of interest in him.

New York? Again, I would think the Jets would be just as or more willing to go after Billy Volek rather than Schaub. Sure, Volek is officially 3-7 as a starter, and Schaub is 0-2. Although Volek has managed to go 2-7 the past 2 years, when McNair is at the helm, the Titans are only 7-16, which is the rough equivalent of this team being .500 without Vick. Just saying it's all relative.

Why trade a #1 or #2 for Schaub, when you could possibly get Volek for a #3 or #4?

But basically saying, that despite all these rumors, I would suspect that Detroit is the most likely destination for a team that would fork up a high pick for Schaub. Probably their 2nd round pick (#40). Having 3 picks in the Top 50 would be lovely for the Falcons.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:21 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I agree that Schaub and Detroit would be a great fit. With the offensive pieces they already have and a young defense, that could be the missing piece and propel them into contention...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:58 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I'd give Schaub to Detroit for their 2nd & 3rd round picks. Dallas would make a move for him because Parcells' time is limited in Dallas as he already hinted at retirement this offseason. He wants to win now & Bledsoe isn't going to get it done. The Bengals make the least sense because Palmer will probably be back early next season at the latest. Miami makes a lot of sense because Saban already heavily recruited Schaub to play for him at LSU and all signs have pointed to his evaluations being right about Schaub. Coaches like to prove themselves right, so Miami could make a major move for Schaub. All of this hinges on Cutler apparently though, so I doubt anything happens until Cutler's name is called in the draft. After that, all bets are off because Schaub is the best low dollar, some would say the best period, QB that is possibly available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:48 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Well, Schaub staying in Atlanta makes the most sense to me. He was drafted becasue of his knowledge of the system we are trying to run here. He does have talent, I just can't see the Falcon brass letting a key guy like that walk, no matter what draft pick is offered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:42 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

AngryJohnny51 wrote:
Well, Schaub staying in Atlanta makes the most sense to me. He was drafted becasue of his knowledge of the system we are trying to run here. He does have talent, I just can't see the Falcon brass letting a key guy like that walk, no matter what draft pick is offered.

Mostly because we won't be able to keep him beyond next season so get something out of him instead of letting him walk to another team empty-handed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:47 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Capologist wrote:
AngryJohnny51 wrote:

Mostly because we won't be able to keep him beyond next season so get something out of him instead of letting him walk to another team empty-handed...

And nobody thought the Titans would keep Volek either. We don't know Schaub's make up. He may be a loyal guy who wants to stay, and I am sure that Blank and company will entice wiht a fat contract to keep him here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:00 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Truthfully...Schaub has looked good when he's played. But you can't label him the next Brett Favre after watchin him play a few games.

I say, lets let him walk for a 1st round pick (he deserves the chance to start somewhere -- its a win-win for both of us), pick up a DE (to go with Williams or Huff), and sign Patrick Ramsey to backup Vick (when the skins let him go). With Musgrave, we have a excellent chance to bring him over to serve as a backup to Vick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:23 pm 

AngryJohnny wrote:
He may be a loyal guy who wants to stay, and I am sure that Blank and company will entice wiht a fat contract to keep him here.

That is probably very wishful thinking on your part Johnny. Vicks' $130 million contract means that at least for the next 3-4 years, he's the man in Atlanta, short of a Bledsoe-Brady situation occurring meaning he goes down for a long period of time and Schaub manages to lead us to the Super Bowl.

If Schaub has any sort of competitive spirit, then he doesn't want to stay in Atlanta. I'm sure he likes this town, this team, these coaches, and such, but at the same time, he realizes that all those things are stacked against him, and that he will only get his opportunity to shine in another city, with different coaches and fans.

The Falcons may like Schaub, but they aren't going to fork up big $$$ to keep Schaub, when statistics say that he may only start 1 game per year. He's nothing more than an insurance policy, and one that has great value, but it's not once in a lifetime value. I'm not a huge fan of drafting another QB to develop, but I'd make an exception for Drew Olson. I also believe that the Falcons have veteran options to replace Schaub.

The_Incomparable wrote:
Dallas would make a move for him because Parcells' time is limited in Dallas as he already hinted at retirement this offseason. He wants to win now & Bledsoe isn't going to get it done.

Without getting too much into what other teams will do and turning this into a non-Falcon board, I disagree. Bledsoe had his best season since he was throwing bombs to Peerless Price in 2002, and arguably one of his best in his career. Bledsoe can and will win for the Cowboys right now.

Parcells is firmly in place in Dallas through the 2007 season. If winning now was as big a concern for Parcells, wouldn't it be more prudent to go with a QB that has been to a Super Bowl under him, rather than an unproven one that isn't a good fit for his offense and has never won a game as a starter?

Saban recruited Schaub back in 1998 and 1999, and I doubt he's held a hard-on for him that long. Not to mention, a recruiting connection between the two is rather weak in my mind. Lots of players are recruited by lots of colleges, and I think the fact that Saban managed to win a few national championships allowed him to think a little less highly of Schaub.

Saban comes from a tree of coaches (the Parcells tree) that prefer veteran passers. You look at the history of Parcells, Coughlin, and Belichick in the NFL, and only when a young QB is forced upon them do they turn away from the veteran. Testaverde was Belichick's man in Cleveland, and Bledsoe had to almost die before he stuck with Brady. Parcells refused to go with Henson in '04 when the season was lost. Coughlin brought in Beuerlein to start in '95 and Warner in '04, but only went with the young guys in Brunell & Manning after the starters didn't get quite the results he wanted. I don't believe Saban is any different, thus why he so easily went with Gus Frerotte last year and didn't use a high pick on a QB as most suspected. It's why I believe he'll go with a guy like Maddox before he uses a high pick on a guy like Schaub.

The_Incomparable wrote:
After that, all bets are off because Schaub is the best low dollar, some would say the best period, QB that is possibly available.

Yeah, and it's really only Falcon fans that believe that last statement. Maybe it's because I have a certain air of respect for NFL GMs, it may be naive or deluded, but it's just hard for me to believe that there are a bunch of GMs out there that are really dying to get their hands on Matt Schaub. It all seems to me to be exaggeration, just like the exaggeration we heard on the part of these same pundits that have said there is fervent interest for Schaub say about the interest for Terrell Owens. Frankly speaking, it's beginning to show that there is no real interest in T.O. outside Denver. But it was not even a month ago that these same insiders were saying there were maybe a half dozen teams interested in him.

Maybe I think that GMs out there look at trades like that of A.J. Feeley, Drew Henson, and Rob Johnson, and believe that giving up a high pick for an inexperienced backup is no more lucrative than using that same high pick on a rookie. And despite I'm sure many Falcon fans would say that Schaub is better than those guys, they would be wrong. It is widely believed that had Henson come out in '02, he would have been the Texans top pick, and most implied his status was a major reason why Vick chose to leave VT early because in 2001, he didn't have to compete with QBs such as Henson and Harrington, who were highly touted at the time as potential #1s. Johnson was a good QB at USC, and his play and skill was about on par with Carson Palmer.

Maybe it's my belief that a team is looking at Schaub, and saying yes he's a good prospect, but his best benefit is that he's 25 rather than some of the other QBs potentially available.

It's been 3 weeks since Jay Glazer "broke" this story about teams being out there shopping for Schaub. There has been absolutely no follow up on this story. Why is it that this story is only be kept alive by Falcon fans?

I'm ready to say right here that unless the Lions fork up a draft pick for Schaub, he will be a Falcon in 2006.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:25 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Pudge wrote:

It's been 3 weeks since Jay Glazer "broke" this story about teams being out there shopping for Schaub. There has been absolutely no follow up on this story. Why is it that this story is only be kept alive by Falcon fans?

There hasn't been a follow up because the Combine, FA period, & draft are all still ahead of us. I expect that teams will wait until the draft to see where Cutler falls before making a serious move for Schaub. After what happened with Aaron Rodgers last year, teams know they have to be sure before making a move.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:13 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I have to agree with Incomparable. There are alot more important things that the NFL media is focusing on rather then who is interested in a 8-8 teams back-up QB.

Plus they are starting to take to the 2007 season and the fiasco that could be developing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:44 pm 

vickisthebest wrote:
I have to agree with Incomparable. There are alot more important things that the NFL media is focusing on rather then who is interested in a 8-8 teams back-up QB.

I would then respectfully disagree. If there was such interest in Schaub as people say there is out there, like from teams like the Jets, Dolphins, Cowboys, etc., then I'm sure we would have heard something since then besides a rumored trade between Atlanta and Cincinnati that was nixed by the media a few days after it hit the wires.

Media would jump all over this story if someone like Parcells or Saban was in hot pursuit of Schaub.

I agree with Comp, in that any prospective trade probably won't occur until draft day, and because of the long wait, I suspect it will wind up falling apart just like the Brees to Atlanta trade did so 2 years ago, which prompted us to draft Schaub in the first place.

But frankly, when media types starting hearing trade rumors, particularly with players at the skill positions like QB, RB, and WR, they jump all over it. Schaub may not be a headliner as of yet in by most's standards, but if a team was willing to offer a #1 or #2 thus making him their next starting QB, especially if it was a team like the Cowboys, or a team in a big media market like the Jets.

It is my belief just as it was involving T.O. that Glazer's claim of "several teams being interested and offering draft picks" was a gross exaggeration. I'm sure the Falcons have been contacted by a number of teams about Schaub's availability, but Glazer implied that the Falcons were already in negotiations about this proposed trade, having already received offers for him. If that is true, and you say the Falcons have no interest in trading Schaub, we would have heard that by now. Since we haven't heard much on Schaub's status with the team we have to believe management is somewhere in between, meaning they are willing to go either way: trade him or keep him.

And then we might even have to question the source we've heard of this rumor. As far as I know, the source comes from fans at the AFMB and posting on the AJC blog saying they saw (or heard) Glazer on Fox Sports South saying the Falcons were offered picks in exchange for Schaub way back on January 30. Was this an exaggeration on their part? Was Glazer being misquoted by an enthusiastic fan? Were the Falcons actually offered picks for Schaub? Or did Glazer simply say that the Falcons could be offered, or are willing to accept offers from several teams?

Wouldn't you think in the 3 weeks since making such a statement, Glazer would back it up by saying something?

It's all been hearsay all that I've heard on trading Schaub. I've seen it posted on message boards, fans saying they've heard it from here, there, Glazer, Lenny P, NFL Network, etc. that a deal was in the works. But not once have I seen something "official" from any credible source. And by official I mean something that is written down. Someone give me a link or something rather than someone just saying "I heard it from here that the Falcons will trade Schaub to this team for such and such a pick..."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:02 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Glazer would back it up by saying something?

I didnt hear/see Glazer say this but like I said, Glazer is Foxsports top NFL guy, hell he is one of the top NFL gusy period. So I dont see why Fox with all of the importstant stuff coming up ( combine, pro days, draft, the 07 season) they would put their top guy covering a mediocre story as who is interested in a 8-8 teams back-up QB who played in what......3 games his whole career?

I have never seen any media claim a trade was imminent with Shaub but I think we do asll remember Rich McKay saying he has seen interest from several teams concerning Shaub LAST YEAR.

So in recap, I dont see why someone would make a national story out of who is intereted in our backup QB, but yes, if Glazer did say this it is a little curious why he hasnt had a follow up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:04 am 

But it's not a headlining making thing. Glazer writes for FOXsports.com, and usually when he has a story to report, it can be as simple as a little 100-word article posted on the website. They range from breaking stories that will be front-page material, to a little blurb about someone being on the verge of signing a contract or inking a deal.

Quote:
I have never seen any media claim a trade was imminent with Shaub

I saw it posted on a blog that someone stated they saw on NFL Network about the COwboys looking to trade for Schaub with a #1 or #2 pick and deal was imminent. That blog post was made around Jan. 30, about the same time when I first started seeing people talk about "several teams offering picks/showing interest in Schaub". HEre's a link to someone's post in a messgae board about it as well: http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic. ... 87bc8afcfc

Google news search Schaub or go to topix.net and search him, and you'll find that all that has been said about Schaub in the past month is this from message boards without official sources, or sportswriters/bloggers speculating on where he could go, rather than anyone saying that they have insider knowledge or are saying something is probable or imminent.

As I said before, my point in arguing this is to say that the Glazer story (at this point) is totally bogus or highly exaggerated, and Schaub is no closer to being traded now as he was 2 months ago. And also to add that Matt SChaub will be either a Falcon or Detroit Lion in 2007.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Alot will be told in free agency
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:50 am 

Right now there really isn't alot going on in the way of NFL Football talk just as in all sports there is a cool down period,granted a short one in the NFL till free agency. It doesn't surprise me there are not Schaub talks going on.The free agency period things should start heating up.If the Falcon's don't sign a free agent QB then I expect Schaub to be back.

For me I have listed numerous reason why Schaub should be traded but only if we can get a veteran backup.Mckay has to also realize this the advantages and disadvatnages of trading Schaub or he shouldn't be a GM. Were not going to replace Schaub with a similar veteran who has as much upside but at the same time how many backups really make an impact in the NFL? Brad johnson? We have a chance to get a top player hopefully in the draft in 1st or 2nd but then again until things heat up I am going to lay low since there is alot of speculation at this point during the cool down period.

Profile E-mail