It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Harrington to start in Detroit
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:33 pm 

So much for Schuab to Detroit. Just announced today both Detroit's GM and Head Coach have stated that Harrington will start next year.

Quote:
Joey Harrington isn't just staying with the Lions. He's penciled in as their No. 1 quarterback. President Matt Millen and coach Rod Marinelli made that clear Tuesday. Millen said the Lions wanted to acquire the best quarterback they could this off-season -- but they were looking for a backup. Jeff Garcia is not expected to return.
-- Detroit Free Press

In other news Charles Woodson will be a free agent:

Quote:
Charles Woodson's days in a Raiders uniform are over. Woodson cost the Raiders $10.529 million in '05 and played in all of six games. He accounted for more than one-eighth of the team's entire payroll. Once a team leader, he completely disappeared from the locker room after being injured against Buffalo. "He's finally gone. There is no value in bringing him back, period,'' said an NFL source
-- San Francisco Chronicle

McFarland and Simeon Rice might be free agents:

Quote:
The Bucs definitely will ask Simeon Rice and Anthony McFarland to restructure their deals. If either refuses, he may be cut. In fact, the Bucs may opt to cut McFarland outright anyway and go with Dewayne White and Ellis Wyms as their under tackles.

Jets looking unload some major offensive lineman in a cap purge

Quote:
The Jets will begin casting off high-priced veterans, particularly on offense, later this week, starting with tackle Jason Fabini and fullback Jerald Sowell. Guard Pete Kendall also is expected to be released in a massive salary-cap purge, but the most surprising victim could be six-time Pro Bowl center Kevin Mawae. Two people with knowledge of the Jets' strategy said the team is open to exploring trade possibilities for Mawae.
-- Newsday

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:26 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

Kind of unbelievable they won't give up on him to me. Guess Millen is gonna ride that boat until it hits the iceberg...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:18 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Unbelievable to myself as well,...amazing incompetence exhibited by Millen and the Lions. Maybe we'll play the Lions again on Thanksgiving,...an almost assured victory for our Crows.

As said before,...we'll benefit from any scenario regarding Schaub this off season. I'm kind of glad we'll keep him. Talk about some serious insurance at the QB position!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:32 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Well I can see them keeping Harrington if Martz was okay with it. I don't necessarily love him as a head coach, but as a QB/OC, he's very good. If he feels like he can help him round the corner, then he just might be able to. I never thought Bulger would be the gunslinger he is.

As far as Schaub, I don't mind retaining him considering Vick's risk factor. We'd all be screaming if half way through next year Vick got hurt, and the team was better on D, and then the O was again the problem. Unless we can get an OT, DE, DB starter for him, to offset our first round position pick, then I say keep him. It wouldn't be too many teams in the league with a better QB combo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:04 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Cody (SoCal): Hey Mel, What do the Falcons do with Matt Schaub? The kid looks like he can be a very good NFL QB? Is anyone interested in him? Lions? Dolphins?

Mel Kiper: They have to keep him. He has a great role behind Vick, who is susceptible to injury because of his style of play and with Shaub the Atlanta season is not over when Mike Vick gets hurt. Because of the way he plays he forces the Falcons to pay the money to have a very good backup QB. He reminds me of Frank Reich in Buffalo playing behind Jim Kelly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:05 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Paul, Warren MI: With the Lions position of keeping Joey Harrington. Should they focus on either Mike Huff or Jimmy Williams in the first round and then draft several offensive linemen? Meanwhile getting a solid backup quarterback through free agency.

Mel Kiper: Any QB they drafted wouldn't be ready until his second or third year anyway, so that's still a possibility. Defensive end, a versatile defensive back like Huff or offensive line are all need areas and options for them. Huff is a gifted, versatile athlete, and they may be able to trade down if a team is hot after him at that point.

CJ (Cherry Hill, NJ): Mel I havent heard ANYTHING about Jimmie Williams! Why's every being so quiet about this guy all of a sudden?

Mel Kiper: Well, he wasn't at the Senior Bowl and nothing else has happened since. He's still a first-rounder who could land in Atlanta, Dallas, San Diego or New England.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:34 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Well, I may be in the minority, but sticking with Harrington is not a bad move. From his performance vs. us on Thanksgiving, it should be evident to all that he has the ability to be a solid NFL quarterback (he and Marcus Pollard were the only Lions players to show up that game).

Considering Martz has worked wonders on 3rd stringers like Trent Green, Kurt Warner, and Marc Bulger, I think if you give him a guy with 1st round talent, you have a formula for even greater success.

Now, I don't think this rules out the Schaub trade. Frankly, the Lions are in a position that they have no choice but to pencil Harrington in as the starter. But that can all change in a matter of months.

If they acquire Schaub, it won't probably happen until April, and it puts your team in a difficult situation if you have an unsettled QB position at that point in the year. Even for teams like New York, Tennessee, Houston, and New Orleans that are in a position to get a QB in Round 1, they all will long declare their starting QBs before they draft a guy in April.

The Lions could trade for Schaub and have an open competition at the QB position this summer. But for now, it's Harrington's job to lose.

As for Woodson, once an excellent cornerback, his abilities have fallen off significantly in the past few years. He'll be 30 this October, and he's no longer the elite corner he once was. He hasn't played an entire season since 2001 and his productiion has dropped significantly in that span. Looking at his passes defensed over the first 4 years (1998-01) and the past 4 years of his career, you see a 38% drop in that area per game since 2001. With his age, durability, and price being a factor, the Falcons should definitely stay away unless he could be had at nickel CB money. Rigt now the Falcons have to many $$$ invested at CB to go out and fish for another one. THeir best bet is to draft a guy, develop him for a year or two, and hope he can be the bookend to Hall.

As for McFarland, I'm not sure how much better he is than Lavalais. Despite all the hype that goes into him, he's not a dominant interior player, and he definitely benefited far more from Sapp's presence than Mr. Warren ever did from his.

Rice would be a great pickup, but probably out of our price range.

Fabini would be an option only if the team got rid of Weiner at RT. Fabini has struggled at LT the past few years and is a natural RT. Kendall would fit well into our scheme, but he's well past his prime. Mawae is another good fit, but I have some reservations. From most of what I heard, he didn't quite take well to the zone-blocking scheme that the Jets installed this past year, which was one of the reasons for that unit's struggles. So would he exactly be a good fit here? An upgrade over McClure definitely, but how much?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:41 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Also, another note on Schaub. Let's say Vick does go down this year to an injury, and Schaub does exceptional. Wouldn't his stock rise dramatically. You can't base something like that on a "What-If" scenario, but its still something to consider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:27 am 

Yeah, but in my mind it's a pretty big what if. Sure Vick missed a ton of time in '03, but 3 of out of the four years he has been a starter with this team, he has only missed 1 start. So it means it's about a 25% chance that Schaub will start more than one game.

And of course whatever your definition of exceptional is would then determine the odds of that, but if it's having a 90+ passer rating and winning at least two-thirds of your starts, only 5 QBs managed that this past season.

I'm no statistics guru, but I think that's like 25:1 odds on Schaub doing that. ABout the same odds as the Falcons winning hte Super BOwl this upcoming year from what I'm seeing from most sports books. Not an impossibility, but definitely something I'm not going to bet on.

But for those that secretly may wish Schaub to supplant Vick as the starter, it's even lesser odds. It will basically have to be a Bledsoe-Brady situation. The Pats gave Bledsoe a $100 million contract I believe a year prior to when he went down to injury in Week 2, Brady stepped in and led them to that organization's first Super Bowl victory. Frankly, Schaub is going to have to take the team as far or further (NFC Championship game or Super Bowl) than Vick has in order for the team to start second guessing the $130 million they gave to Vick. I would say that there is probably a significant albeit small minority in the organization that isn't completely sold on Michael Vick, but the team invested a ton of money in him, and they aren't the type of people that are unwilling to see it through.

Profile E-mail