It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Strong Safety anyone?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:13 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Had to check this guy out,...obviously he was hurt in 2004 and his tackles went down from the totals in 2002 and 2003. 50+ tackles for a SS is impressive,...but 30 isn't so much. I'll check with my Raiders buddies in nflfans.

AP reports the Oakland Raiders exercised a clause in SS Derrick Gibson's contract that voids the remainder of Gibson's contract and makes him an unrestricted free agent. Gibson was scheduled to make $10 million this season; a figure the Raiders had no intention of honoring. Therefore, Gibson's only realistic shot of sticking with the Raiders for a sixth season was if he agreed to a restructured contract

Year Team G Total Tckl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def
2001 Oakland Raiders 16 16 15.0 1 0 1 9 9.0 9 0 3
2002 Oakland Raiders 16 66 52.0 14 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 4
2003 Oakland Raiders 15 67 55.0 12 1 2 16 8.0 11 0 1
2004 Oakland Raiders 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0
2005 Oakland Raiders 6 35 30.0 5 1 0 0 0.0 0 0 3
TOTAL 53 184 152.0 32 2 3 25 8.3 11 0 11

We're gonna have to address saftey in FA, in my opinion, or suffer with a rookie and a subpar guy back there. We really need a vet back there at one saftey spot to school the rookie,...provided we draft a S this Spring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:19 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Despite his outstanding athletic potential, Gibson has never close been the type of player envisioned of him in Oakland. One of the things that was commented on him a few years ago, was that his play was only acceptable when Rod Woodson shared the field with him, providing a veteran influence that cut down on his mistakes.

That coupled with him missing 26 games in the past two years, tells me the Falcons should stay away from him.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:38 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
That coupled with him missing 26 games in the past two years, tells me the Falcons should stay away from him.

Meaning he could come cheap, perhaps. Personally, I'd rather address the safety positions through the draft,...yep, both of them. Play some old guys(Heard, etc.) until the young guys get ready,...might even see if DeMorrio could handle it,...and acquire Sam Madison to compliment DHall and Webster would make a perfect nickel back. But we're gonna have to do something in FA, it just seems, in the secondary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:35 am 

Ideally, this team can draft a quality S in the draft and sign a quality veteran like Marlon McCree. McCree IMO is the best option for this team. He's a quality FS that can play the run and pass, and has never been a dominant safety anywhere he has gone, but he's never played the bench either.

Starting for the Panthers this past year, made him start for his 3rd different NFL team and he may have had his finest overall NFL season. McCree is everything that Scott should be. He's no superstar, but he's no liability either and is the perfect relatively low price veteran that we need on this unit, that still has some upside at age 29.

Ideally we could get someone like McCree and then draft a guy like Williams or Ko Simpson.

Profile E-mail