It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rumor about Vick on profootballtalk.com
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:35 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

RUMORS FLY OF VICKLESS FALCONS

One of the biggest rumors making the rounds in Indianapolis on the first day of the scouting combine is that quarterback Mike Vick wants out of Atlanta.

Though there's no specific information to prompt a conclusion that Vick has taken steps to engineer an exit from the team, his repeated criticism of the coaching staff since the end of the 2005 season has fueled speculation that a divorce could be coming.

Most recently, Vick took aim at Falcons offensive coordinator Greg Knapp, saying that Knapp "needs to know exactly what type of talent he's working with. . . . You've got to be creative. There's no reason I should be passing for only 2,300 yards for the season. My passing attempts per game are not even that high. I hope it's not that they don't believe in me, because I believe in me." (Knapp, by the way, attempted to downplay Vick's comments.)

Earlier this month, Vick said that he's "a little lost" in the Falcons' version of the West Coast offense. "We're not dinking and dunking the way it's supposed to be done" he said. "It may be hurting me. It may be hurting the offense."

The talk in Indy is that Vick might refuse to restructure his contract, in the hopes that the team will trade him. Adam Schefter of The NFL Network reports that talks aimed at reducing Vick's 2006 cap number have occurred.

The root of the problem appears to be Vick's relationship with coach Jim Mora. The perception in some circles is that Vick "hates" Mora.

Indeed, we raised the question of whether Mora and Vick can coexist on December 26, based on their respective comments following a Falcons' loss to the Bucs on Christmas Eve after a chip-shot field goal was blocked in overtime.

Said Vick of the blown opportunity to win the game: "It kind of put everything in perspective, like maybe this just ain't our year."

Said Mora when asked whether the blocked field goal made him conclude that "it just wasn't meant to be": "That's a loser's attitude, and I would like to think we don't have a whole lot of losers in the locker room . . . . People like that don't accomplish much in life."

Apart from the huge cap hit that the Falcons would take by moving Vick now, they'd have trouble finding someone to give up significant value for him. As we hear it, a lot of teams regard him as a pain in the ass -- and as a guy who will only be successful if an offense is specifically designed to enhance his strengths, and to conceal his weaknesses.

I am not to sure what I think about this really...none the less I thought it was at least intersting and could be important...then again it may be someone trying to make something out of nothing....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:08 pm 

I had a feeling there is a revolt building underneath the seemingly smooth exterior. Wouldn't that be interesting if it turned out Vick demands a trade and we couldn't get anything for him because of the leagues perception of him?

What a crap ass day that would be. One thing is for sure is if Vick does hate Mora and it came down to Vick or Mora I have no doubt that Blank would boot Mora.

Me thinks how Atlanta handles Schuab and his contract should tell us all we need to know about Vick's status. Hopefully this doesn't become a thing and if it does it doesn't de-rail this team for another decade of medicore play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:41 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

dirtybirdnw wrote:
I had a feeling there is a revolt building underneath the seemingly smooth exterior. Wouldn't that be interesting if it turned out Vick demands a trade and we couldn't get anything for him because of the leagues perception of him?

What a crap ass day that would be. One thing is for sure is if Vick does hate Mora and it came down to Vick or Mora I have no doubt that Blank would boot Mora.

Me thinks how Atlanta handles Schuab and his contract should tell us all we need to know about Vick's status. Hopefully this doesn't become a thing and if it does it doesn't de-rail this team for another decade of medicore play.

yeah that would suck pretty bad....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:08 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

dirtybirdnw wrote:
Me thinks how Atlanta handles Schuab and his contract should tell us all we need to know about Vick's status.

Absolutely astute observation on your part!

Dan Reeves is in Houston,...With the first overall pick in the draft,...the Atlanta Falcons pick,...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:27 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I'd trade Vick for the first over-all...I mean I like Vick and all, but Shaub with Reggie Bush...that'd be money....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:59 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I like Schuab enough that if we lost Vick it wouldn't be the end of the world either, but what do you think realistically we could get for him and what kind of cap hit would we take by trading him now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:26 am 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

if vick wanted out why did he sign like a 7 year extension?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:05 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

This is simply a matter of frustration from the disappointing end of the year. If the Falcons start winning again, all this will be a thing of the past.

Whether it's football, in an office, or the kitchen of a McDonalds, when things aren't going right, the employees begin to start pointing fingers, often times at management.

I make little of Vick's comments. They are a bit concerning, but nothing I think that is really a serious issue (yet). If he's still making these comments during the season or after 2006, then it becomes an issue.

But this past year is the first time that Vick made it through a season and his team didn't have postseason success. Being "average" is a new thing for Vick. And between January 2 and the middle of March when I believe our voluntary OTAs and such kickoff, Vick has nothing to do except the Pro Bowl, so he really has nothing better to than stew on last year.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:49 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

He is gonna be here for another 6+ Years...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:50 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Think about what kind of riots would be going on outside of every Home Depot in the state of Georgia...Most of our fans would go crazy in hatred.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:54 am 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

The source of the rumor isn't the best in football circles. They tend to add details around quotes to make something bigger than what it really is...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:02 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Profootballtalk does like to embelish and make connections where there are none...

but sometimes they hit on something that no one else is talking about and they are right to...

I am thinking the former is probably true in this case, but I am sure we will see as the off-season progresses...

My thinking is that if Vick wanted out he wouldn't be restructuring his contract....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:34 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I was a fan of the Falcons way before Vick ever got here, but if we let him walk I would be done with this franchise. Thank God Arthur Blank isn't a moron and wouldn't let this happen. Blank will do whatever needs to be done to ensure Vick stays in Atlanta, because Vick is a proven winner and that is something the Falcons have lacked at the QB position for a very long time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:57 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I was wondering when you were gonna chime in Incomp... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:26 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

i've got to go away from the group here and say i'd rather have Mora coaching the team than Vick quarterbacking it if i had to choose one or the other.

mora's comment about a loser's attitude is dead on. Vick comes across to me as someone who is concerned with his own stats over winning at times. something has changed in michael vick. remember how he played half the season with 2 seperated shoulders during that first playoff run? he's just not the same guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:20 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

GSUTeke wrote:
i've got to go away from the group here and say i'd rather have Mora coaching the team than Vick quarterbacking it if i had to choose one or the other.

mora's comment about a loser's attitude is dead on. Vick comes across to me as someone who is concerned with his own stats over winning at times. something has changed in michael vick. remember how he played half the season with 2 seperated shoulders during that first playoff run? he's just not the same guy.

Yep, I agree...I'l take Mora and his ammonia caplets anyday. Vick is an athlete, and the face of this franchise, but i think its all getting to his head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:55 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I doubt he moves anywhere for a couple reasons...

1. He just signed an extension not too long ago
2. McKay was just on nfl.com during combine coverage, and said point blank, that vick's contract wouldn't have to be restructured. he said the way they designed it, that it still has two more triggers in place to automatically restructure, upon hitting the trigger dates.
3. He just became a partner in a sports agency near Atl

Like DB said, what happens to Schaub could be telling, but I just can't see Vick moving. Why have we bothered to "somewhat" design an offense to his skills, plus add White and Jenkins if he was moving.

I don't like the negative comments from him either. Honestly I would just like to see him take the rest of the offseason to go hide in the desert with with Knapp, Roddy and Jenkins and work out. Don't come back till you've got rapport.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:24 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

- found this on espn from len p as a followup to the other article

• Although he has suggested that some of his comments have been misconstrued, Atlanta quarterback Michael Vick seems to have gone out of his way in recent weeks to tweak offensive coordinator Greg Knapp and hint the Falcons' design might be in need of some overhauling to better fit his strengths. It's doubtful that Vick is trying to orchestrate his own departure. Even more doubtful is that owner Arthur Blank, who at times treats the accuracy-challenged quarterback like a surrogate son, would part with a player who has become the centerpiece of the franchise's resuscitation. But the Vick situation bears monitoring for many reasons, not the least of which is the addition of assistant Bill Musgrave, who has replaced Mike Johnson as the team's quarterbacks coach.

Musgrave's reputation is as a stickler for details, a guy who believes that sound mechanics are critical, and who has precious little tolerance for sloppiness. Anyone who has watched Vick knows that his mechanics, especially his footwork, are anything but a strong suit when it comes to throwing the football. For all of his athletic brilliance, Vick has a certain arrogance about him, one that eventually commands him to do things his way, and not necessarily the way in which they are outlined in textbooks. That athletic arrogance is, arguably, the root of his success because it permits him to improvise in a way no one else in the NFL can. But it's also a big part of his inconsistency, and it will be interesting to see how the wills of Vick and Musgrave mesh once the two get together on a regular basis.