It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cap Situation
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:25 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Did anyone see the combine today on the NFL network? Well they showed a press conference with Rich McKay and they asked him about our cap situation. He said there is a clause in Vick's contract that was triggered that automatically restructures it. He really didn't go into details about it, but he did say they would get under the cap and be fine. He also said though that come the first day of FA they probably wouldn't be calling people because they will still have work to do on the cap. Anyway, I'll see if I can find the press conference link or anything, but that's the only part I saw. From what they said, he talked about the CBA also and said he thinks it'll get done at the last minute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:21 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Here's a link to the AJC about the CBA and the cap situation. It has some other interesting stuff in it as well.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sport ... lcons.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:07 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Quote:
"I don't think we're interviewing any quarterbacks. We've got two that we like a lot," McKay said. "We do know Marcus, obviously. It will be interesting to see how Marcus does. It will be interesting to see where his stock rises or falls."

That little statement from McKay seems to indicate the Falcons aren't very close to trading Schaub. BUt then again, that could be GM speak by not revealing too mcuh about the team's plans...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:55 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

so the cap is basically announced today at 95 million. where are we right now? anybody got a figure?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:16 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Where did you get the 95 million number from? From what I have read, if the CBA is passed the cap could be between 100 and 110 million? I don't think we'll know for sure until the CBA is finalized.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:08 pm 

If an extension is reached it will be $108 million. If no extension is reached it will be about $95 million.

Linky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:26 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

so once again where do the falcons stand currently?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:24 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

bad, REALLY bad!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:52 pm 

That cap number is misleading. Vick is due $7 million bonus this season which is all charged against the cap. However a clause in his contract trigged that takes that $7 million and spreads it across the remainder of his contract. So subtract about $6 million from their number and we are about $3 million under the cap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:54 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

http://www.falcfans.com/features/2006cap.html

Well it's not really that bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:46 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

- Maybe I'm wrong here, but my understanding is that without an extension in the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the 2007 season will be un-capped. This to me is a much bigger deal than what the 2006 number will be, b/c every deal will have to gel with the '07 season too. I can't see us letting Dunn go, but they do mention it below. If he were cut, who the hell would be our RB? I don't want to spend a high pick on one with our defensive needs, and Duckett's not the answer.

Said one cap manager: "For months, my owner told me to develop two strategies, one with [an extension] and one without. But nobody, even with all the gloom-and-doom talk of the last few weeks, ever really believed we'd be breaking out Plan B. And then, these last few days, even my owner was telling me he thought it would get done. Unless there's some kind of miracle on Wednesday, our team is going to have to do some drastic things, and I know we're not the only team in that situation."

How drastic? There continue to be rumors the Washington Redskins, who extended numerous contracts in the past to deal with previous cap crunches, could have to play with 20 rookies on the roster in 2006. On Tuesday night in Atlanta, there were rumblings the Falcons, who aren't in nearly the dire straits some other franchises are, might be forced to release tailback Warrick Dunn, who rushed for a career-best 1,416 yards in 2005. The Kansas City Chiefs could part ways with perennial Pro Bowl guard Will Shields if he doesn't agree to adjust his contract and reduce a $6.67 million cap charge. And that is just the start of the many examples of potential attrition cited by team officials Tuesday evening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:53 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2349505

March 1 cap status for all 32 teams.

Currently has Atl on the negative side, at 11.7 million over. Looked like only 7 teams were in worse shape than us, with 13 being over the cap (Raiders, Dolphins, Chiefs, Titans, Skins, Broncos, Panthers, Falcons, Jets, Colts, Bucs, Steelers, Boys). While we don't wanna be on this list, at least two of those other teams are in our division. If the CBA isn't extended, I'd look for these 13 teams to make the most cuts come "bloody thursday".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:41 pm 

Personally I work with Cappy's numbers as they seem to be the most accurate all in all.

I'm not so sure we see a lot of players cut but I do think we will see Atlanta let a lot of guys with expiring contracts walk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:44 am 

Yeah, I believe our cap situation isn't as drastic as most sources indicate. The cap has been set at $94.5 million, and most estimates have put it at around $92 million. And most of those same projections have this team ranging from $9-11.7 million over, so even with their estimates, we are now just $6.5-9.3 million over.

I think we may only see a few cuts here: Brady Smith, Weiner, and restructuring a few deals. Brooking has reportedly already restructured. Luckily, none of our RFAs or EFAs are major contributors, so to save money we don't have to tender any of them. Blakley and Lake are the most regulars among them, and we can replace them relatively easily with decent rookies or street free agents.

Also, besides Finneran, Peterson, and Shaffer, I'm not going to miss any of our UFAs. I've already resolved myself that we're going to lose Shaffer. I don't want to give up on Peterson so easily, but our new kicking coach Hoffman has had a lot of success with rookie kickers in the past in Dallas (although few of them ever lasted beyond 2-3 years in the NFL), so I'm not too bent out of shape if we lose him.

I'd hate to see "Clutchy Butterfingers" leave, but it may be something that is necessary to stimulate faster development in Jenkins and Roddy. So again, I can understand his departure as well.

So, we have very few final obligations unlike other teams that have to tender key RFAs or get under the cap enough so that they can try to re-sign key free agents. Basically, we're in a situation that by the deadline, we can be $1 under the cap, and it'll work, because we don't have to come roaring out the gates in free agency.

Profile E-mail