Smith Cut, Vick's bonus pro-rated

Discuss your favorite team: the Atlanta Falcons. As well as all NFL and pro football-related topics, including fantasy football.

Moderators: Capologist, dirtybirdnw, thescout

dirtybirdnw

Smith Cut, Vick's bonus pro-rated

Postby dirtybirdnw » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:54 pm

From ESPN.com Linky

As anticipated, the Atlanta Falcons have guaranteed a $7 million March roster bonus due quarterback Michael Vick, a move that creates about $5.25 million in additional cap space, and which will help the club squeeze under the NFL's spending limit of $94.5 million by the Thursday night deadline.

ESPN.com has confirmed that the Falcons on Thursday will release 10-year veteran defensive end Brady Smith, which will save $2.5 million against the salary cap. Smith, 32, was limited to a career-low five appearances in 2005 because of injuries. He underwent neck surgery in July, which forced him to miss training camp and then, after returning sooner than expected, suffered a foot injury that ended his year.

Those two moves put us about 1 or 2 million shy of being under the cap I believe.
Fear the BEARD!

widetrak21
Superstar
Superstar

Postby widetrak21 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:13 pm

My guess is Kevin Mathis is the next to guy to go, as we try to get under that 1-2 mil.

dirtybirdnw

Postby dirtybirdnw » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:21 pm

Here is my list of possible cap casualities:

Todd Weiner, Kevin Mathis, Warrick Dunn, TJ Duckett, Eric Beverly*, Allen Rossum

*- I believe Beverly has restructured

My list of almost sure fire contract restructures:

Patrick Kerney, Keith Brooking, Warrick Dunn, Justin Griffith
Fear the BEARD!

Pudge
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Postby Pudge » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:07 pm

According to estimates, the Falcons would add about $300K each to their cap hit by cutting Rossum and Mathis. Frankly, these guys are staying for another year, and the Falcons will only save money by restructuring, not cutting these guys.
"Vincere scis, Hannibal, victoria uti nescis" -- Maharbal, 216 B.C.E.

FalconsAreTheBest
All-Pro
All-Pro

Postby FalconsAreTheBest » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:27 pm

What happens if Mathis retires? How would that affect our cap? Maybe a injury settlement type thing?

...but anyway IMO they are assets the organization will probably deal with antime between june-august. They are small peanuts compared to what teams are trying to do now.
Yep

Return to “The Huddle”