It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Followup to lengthy Vick discussion
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:21 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9275998

- I DID NOT, post this to stir this discussion again. Just as a followup with some quotes that might be of interest to the board frequenters.

It was rather interesting to here Mora's take on how Knapp should be free'd up to run the offense, and not QB coach so much. Basically implied Johnson wasn't doing anything, and that Knapp was spending all his time coaching Vick. Now we've got Musgrave, whose very familiar with our offense, to guide Mike daily, and let Knapp run the total offense. Sounds good to me.

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Atlanta Falcons earlier this year changed quarterbacks coaches, which seemed to signal that the club was concerned about the direction of Michael Vick's career.

Not so fast, folks.

Both coach Jim Mora and offensive coordinator Greg Knapp this week pledged allegiances to him and offered evidence that Vick -- the team's starting quarterback the past four seasons -- is moving forward.

More than that, Mora defiantly defended his quarterback against charges that he regressed last season.

"Absolutely untrue," he said. "As an offense, in two years we've gone from 29th to 12th. We led the league in rushing the last two years so, obviously, something improved -- and it was our pass game. We were second in the league in third-down percentage, and you don't get to that unless you have a quarterback who makes something happen. (Vick) continues to make strides forward."

"It's a pretty good representation, and not just because they're both lefties," said Mora. "At the time that Steve was coming into his own as a quarterback, he was a different style than what people were used to seeing -- and Mike's like that. It took Steve quite a while to get comfortable doing what he does and develop into the guy we saw at the end of his career. It doesn't just happen overnight."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:47 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

As an offense, in two years we've gone from 29th to 12th. We led the league in rushing the last two years so, obviously, something improved -- and it was our pass game. We were second in the league in third-down percentage

I've said this a countless number of times. If this isnt proof that we are improving on offense then nothing will prove it.

It is obviously our defense that needs major improvements and thats why I hope almost all of our draft picks will be defensive players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:30 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I'm confident Vick is going to make strides. The only thing that gives me pause is how well Vick will take to Musgrave's tutelage. Leftwich didn't like him, and it probably has set him back a few years. If Vick takes well to Musgrave, then the sky is the limit. But if not, there is going to a minor power struggle between the two, which will take attention and energy from Vick's play into what's going on on the sideline.

I expect Vick to have a career year in '06 regardless. But the difference methinks will be that if he takes to Musgrave, we could see him continue to build off each year and each year for the next 3-5 could be the best of his career. If he doesn't take, he might play better, but he still may not reach his full potential until maybe 2-4 years down the road.

I've always said it takes 5-7 years to fully develop a QB. This is year 6, year 5 as a starter for Vick, so we should start to see what we've all been hoping for over the next 1-2 seasons. I think we got a taste of what was to come from this past November. I'm pumped...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:51 am 
Role Player
Role Player

vickisthebest wrote:
As an offense, in two years we've gone from 29th to 12th. We led the league in rushing the last two years so, obviously, something improved -- and it was our pass game. We were second in the league in third-down percentage

I've said this a countless number of times. If this isnt proof that we are improving on offense then nothing will prove it.
I think you will find most offenses will improve when Doug Johnson is removed from the starting QB position.

In 2002 under Dan Reeves the Falcons offense was ranked 5th.

I do agree with your sentiment about targeting defensive players though, the run D was clearly the weakest area for the Falcons in 2005.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:24 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Truman wrote:
vickisthebest wrote:

I think you will find most offenses will improve when Doug Johnson is removed from the starting QB position.

In 2002 under Dan Reeves the Falcons offense was ranked 5th.

I do agree with your sentiment about targeting defensive players though, the run D was clearly the weakest area for the Falcons in 2005.

Couldn't have said it better myself. The changes to be made on offense are minimal in comparison.