It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Baby Riggs a Falcon?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:41 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Given all the needs the Falcons have on defense, it's interesting to see the Falcons website concentrating on another area,...an area that has to be addressed and probably next month. This is really interesting because it's either wishful thinking or,...perhaps revealing a concern that has been relayed to this writer from Falcons staff. Wouldn't it be nice if we had that type insdie info?;)

In the genes
By Michael Oldham, Atlantafalcons.com
March 3, 2006

The son and namesake of a three-time Pro Bowler and the all-time leading rusher in Falcons history, when Gerald Riggs Jr. came of football-playing age, it's no big surprise his parents didn't force him onto the gridiron. Dad's shoes were some pretty big ones to fill.

Gerald Riggs Sr., originally selected by the Falcons in the first round (ninth pick overall) of the 1982 NFL Draft, rushed 1,587 times for 6,631 yards and 48 touchdowns on the ground in seven seasons (1982-88) with the Birds -- all Falcons team rushing records.

"I think, with him(Dad) playing football, they didn't want me to go through a lot of stuff and they tried to shield me away from that as much as possible," the younger Riggs explained. "I think it was more or less because of all the things my dad was able to accomplish, he continued. But it's just something I wanted to do."

By the time he graduated from Red Bank High School in Chattanooga, Tennessee, he owned most every school rushing record, accumulating an eye-opening 6,046 yards on 724 rushes and reaching the end zone 90 times -- 66 in his final two years at Red Bank.

The impressive prep résumé earned Riggs offers from a variety of schools but he elected to stay close to home and accept an athletic scholarship to the University of Tennessee, where he grew from a contributor as a true freshman to a feature back for the Volunteers his junior and senior seasons.

Thrust into the national spotlight with 1,107 rushing yards as a junior in Knoxville, the comparison machine of the national media got rolling, doing side-by-side looks at Gerald Riggs Jr. to his father. Having heard the comparison from such a young age -- and having an opinion of his own -- the younger Riggs can explain the differences and similarities between his game and his father's on cue, in 100 words or less.

"We're a little bit different in that he was a bigger player than I am," Riggs junior explained. "I'm probably a little faster, a little more elusive and probably can make guys miss a little better, while he normally just put his head down to get the tough yards -- which I can do as well. But because of the size difference, it allows me to do a couple things differently than he was able to."

With that ability, in his four years at UT Riggs rushed 383 times for 1,893 yards (a 4.9 average) and 10 scores, but those numbers could have been more impressive. Riggs missed three games his junior year with a hip injury, but more notable was the right ankle injury he suffered this past season in the Volunteers October 22 loss to Alabama. After gaining 530 yards six games into his senior season, the injury effectively ended his college career.

Though he was physically unable to work out at the combine in late February, as the University of Tennessee's March 15 pro day approaches, Riggs believes he will be in perfect shape to show his wares to NFL scouts and to throws his name back into the pool of impressive running back prospects for this year's draft.

So what has his father said in all of this process? From his impressive high school numbers to his short-lived college career to his potential future in the National Football League?

"He said just take everything in and be humble," Riggs junior said. "Don't get too down on yourself and don't get too high on yourself.

"The biggest thing he said is continue to work hard, don't get complacent and stay humble."

Daddy Riggs was an awesome back that not many know about. He played on awful, awful Falcons teams those seven years. I'm not sure there was a winning record in that span of years(1982 was the strike season, if I'm not mistaken, so it don't count). Note Dad advising the son to be humble. That's some great advice and looking back, when Gerald Sr. scored a TD or ran for a first down,...or ran for a 20 yard gain,...he'd flip the ball to the closest ref and go back and do it again.

Gerald Sr. received his Championship in the latter part of his career with the Redskins,...thank you pre-Snyder Redskins for getting this guy a ring. He damn sure deserved it.

So,...why is this on the Falcons website, one might ask? This is another article about a college prospect that just so happens to be a running back. This one can be explained because baby Gerald's Dad was a Falcon. The other one about the other guy, before this report, makes one wonder what MO knows that we don't.

What I know is that the Falcons will have to draft a RB for the future. He'll have to play special teams his rookie season and work his way into the game. It's a fact that Dunn is the guy in 2006, and Duckett will finish his contract in Atlanta as well. Logically return man Allen Rossum is gone, or limited, and the young guy, I can never remember his name,...will return kickoffs or be cut. That leaves the third RB position open although some will say the FB, Justin Griffith, can be the RB,...but we know better than that. It's time to think about the RB position for the future and Riggs could be that guy. He's built like Dunn, a little bigger, but has the same darting moves.

Hmmm,...is AtlantaFalcons.COM desiring to start talk,...rumors?,...or sublimely revealing something here?

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/article.jsp?id=11176

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:56 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I'd be surprised if the Falcons did not draft a RB this year. They've done so the past 2 years, and each of those guys hasn't quite worked out as hoped (Cobb & Wilson). I expect the Falcosn will try to burn a higher pick on a RB this year. Maybe in Round 3 or 4.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:54 am 
Veteran
Veteran

I doubt the article is hinting at anything. I mean, what else do they have to write about, related to the falcons. They are scrounging for stories, and thats the best they came up with.

In relation to drafting a back, I think we should spend our picks on other players, like DE, S, CB, OL, Blocking TE, SLB. Every year there will be guys like Chestor Taylor who could serve as temporary (or maybe even permanent) players to fill voids like this. Teams are willing to spend less and less on RBs every year. We mind as well ride out Dunn as much as we can. I mean, he is 30+ and ran for 1400+ last year. Mike Anderson had a good year in the same rushing attack at 34 last year.

In relation to Griffith being a decent back...I think that he is a more than servicable tailback, when needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:28 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
I'd be surprised if the Falcons did not draft a RB this year. They've done so the past 2 years, and each of those guys hasn't quite worked out as hoped (Cobb & Wilson). I expect the Falcosn will try to burn a higher pick on a RB this year. Maybe in Round 3 or 4.

Unless we sign a RB, I think our first pick will be spent on a RB, especially with Duckett on his way out. I like Dunn, but he is getting long in the tooth, long in the contract and for as much heart as he has, he is small and does wear down at the end of the season.

If White (USC) falls all the way to us as some think, you bet he's a Falcon next fall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:07 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Well as I see it we have 3 glaring needs at the moment and who we draft depends on who we pick up in free agency...

Those three glaring needs are-OLT, S, and DE...From what I've seen and heard we may not even try to address LT since some think Omi is gonna take over at tackle...if we can fill DE in FA with a player like Trevor Pryce and our coaches feel comfortable with Omi playing tackle then we could very well draft a RB in round one...

I think we can find more value for our pick in later rounds with a rb though...in rounds 2-4 we could get a player like Jerome Harrison, Maurice Drew, Gerald Riggs Jr, Joseph Addai, Leon Washington.....

though if Deangelo Williams is there I would be pretty happy if we took him at 15....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:57 pm 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Riggs Jr. go undrafted and the Falcons sign him as a rookie free agent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:00 pm 

McKay never addresses our needs in order of importance on draft day. Each year in the 3rd round, he's selected a position that was of low priority thus far (MLB and QB). And then usually on Day 2, he goes for best available.

Even if we agree that OT, DE, S, and CB are our 4 biggest needs, it doesn't mean all will be addressed before Round 5.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:52 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
McKay never addresses our needs in order of importance on draft day. Each year in the 3rd round, he's selected a position that was of low priority thus far (MLB and QB). And then usually on Day 2, he goes for best available.

Even if we agree that OT, DE, S, and CB are our 4 biggest needs, it doesn't mean all will be addressed before Round 5.

We all know what the needs are, but if Duckett goes our BIGGEST need becomes running back. No one hear can tell me they think Dunn can carry the load for a full year.

We need to improve our "D" and o-line for sure, but it's a mute point if we have no quality back up to Dunn. This team is built to run nad if Dunn steps back or gets injured, we're screwed.