It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brenston Buckner
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:13 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Falcons | Bruckner interested in Atlanta
Fri, 3 Mar 2006 21:57:32 -0800

Tom James, of the Tribune Star, reports free agent DT Brentson Buckner (Panthers) said Thursday, March 2, that he would consider playing for the Atlanta Falcons if the right deal was offered.

He'd definately add some veteran saavy to a young line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:55 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I'd pick up Buckner. He's a good run stopper, that can play 1 year for us (he's been contemplating retirement for awhile now), shore up our run defense. The question is he willing to accept a 1 year near minimum contract from us?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:00 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
that he would consider playing for the Atlanta Falcons if the right deal was offered.

Quote:
The question is he willing to accept a 1 year near minimum contract from us?

Umm, he answered your question before you asked it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:16 am 

Well I'm wondering what is the right deal? I'm sure the right deal will change if Brentson doesn't get the type of offers elsewhere from other teams.

Let's say for instance the Falcons offer him a 1 yr. deal worth about $800K. Another team offers him a 2-yr. deal worth about $2 million and its the best he has. Does he take the latter offer, because it's more?

Perhaps. But if the other team is say the Cardinals or some team that is in a rebuilding process and they are unlikely to have a legitimate chance at a Super Bowl in the final two year (Brentson has played in 2 Super Bowls, but yet to win one), does he take the offer? Or for a guy that almost retired last off-season, does he take the 1-yr. offer from Atlanta and hope they make something happen in 2006? If not, and he still wants to keep playing, he'll be a FA after 2006 and will have an opportunity to sign with someone else.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:47 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge wrote:
(Brentson has played in 2 Super Bowls, but yet to win one),does he take the 1-yr. offer from Atlanta and hope they make something happen in 2006?

That's the burning question we're probably gonna be talking about until the season opener, maybe even past that. Will the Falcons return to the playoffs in 2006 and can they even go again to the conference championship game?

I dunno,...IMO we won't see defensive linemen acquired through free agency. The coaches were happy with the rookie Shropshire(sp?) and the other young guys. Kerney is starting to get some years on him, so DE is an obvious need long term. Buckner would fill a temporary need, obviously, but it looks like we're set at DT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:25 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Brenston is from Columnbus, GA so that might factor in. I'd be delightwed if they could work it out to have him. He'd be good in the locker room as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:59 pm 

Well I'm not one to believe the Falcons should target a DT in the draft this April, unless a really good player falls a round or two. But I do agree with some people that the Falcons should maximize their DT rotation.

Antwan Lake played better this past year than he did in 2004. But he's still much more of a pass rusher than run stopper. Although I believe Lavalais showed improvement in the 2nd half, he clearly showed that he has a ways to go before I'd call him a reliable run stopper and starter. Babs I suspect will be better next year, and Shrop should contribute as well.

But the Falcons do need to maximize their rotation, and with Coleman, they should have the 4 best players out there on the field. A guy like Buckner gives us the chance to do that. He's a player int he style of Lavalais, that's he built more to stop the run than rush the passer. But he's been an effective starter over the years, and is at his best when he's limited and allowed to rotate with fresh bodies.

I'd like to see what Babs, Lavalais, Lake, and Shrop will do with a year under their belts, how they improve and adjust. But I'm not against adding a veteran like Buckner, who can only help in the run support. If his presence means that the team has to part ways with Lake or Shropshire, I'm not too bent out of shape over it. We should try to have the 4 best DTs on the roster, and if we can get Babs and/or Lavalais to make the next step up, losing 2 young guys isn't going to be a total loss.

Profile E-mail