It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why are the Vikings looking at Brees?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:10 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I know this isn't Falcons-related, but I'm seeing multiple sites indicating the Vikings are quite interested in Drew Brees, and are looking to trade Culpepper?

Why? Is it because of Pep's jaunt on the "Love Cruise"? His injury?

I know Culpepper's injury is likely to have him out until November, but why then are the Vikes pursuing a QB that is unlikely to be that much healthier? Brees shoulder injury probably will allow him to be back by September, but he's probably not ever going to have the arm strength he once had, and it's not like he had a cannon before.

Why are they running Pep out of town? This just doesn't make sense to me. Is the new owner Zygi that set on revamping the team's image that he's going to dump their best player just because he's no choir boy?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Pep
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:34 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pep did alright two seasons ago when Moss went down with a hammy, but last season without Moss in the lineup was a nightmare for Pep. If Brad Johnson can do that much better than Pep before the injury I think the Vikings might be thinking right to get rid of Pep. He has a huge arm but without a Moss to loft up jump balls to he is mundane at best, his size is good but with the knee he might lose another step he couldn't afford to lose. The Vikings have HUGE cap space and I don't know why they would be looking at Breeze, but they certainly can afford to get a better QB than Pep, one that might even be able to win in the playoffs :twisted:

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:42 pm 

It wasn't Moss that they missed, but Matt Birk. That OL was atrocious without him.

The Vikings were 2-5 under Culpepper, and 7-2 under Johnson. But if you look at their 6-game winning streak, the Vikings played only 1 team with a winning record (Giants). You exclude the Giants, and the combined record of the teams they played during that streak were 26-54. That strength of schedule is 33% vs. the 7 games Culpepper played in which had a strength of schedule of 53%. Let's not forget that Culpepper played hurt the entire season until Chris Gamble put him out of his misery.

Culppepper was sacked 31 times in his 7 appearances (4.4 per game). Johnson was sacked 21 times in 9 games (2.3 per game).

Also Culpepper's playoff record is the exact same as Vick. IMO, there are about 12 or 13 QBs in the league that are as good or better than Culpepper. But if I'm a team that has Culpepper as its QB, only 7 of them I would look at as being significant upgrades over him enough that if they became available. Brees is not one of them. Vick, Delhomme, Manning, Brady, Roethlisberger, McNabb, and Hasselbeck are the lucky 7.

To me this is the equivalent of a scenario that has been hinted at, feared by some, welcomed by others, that just basically hangs over the heads of all Falcon fans, coaching staff, and the front office.

What happens if Vick gets off to a slow start in a year, then gets hurt. Then someone like Schaub steps in, wins some games, but doesn't get the team to the playoffs. Do we just dump Vick the following year.

I hate to bring race into it, but it just seems awfully fishy for me after the supposed way of how quickly Denny Green was shown the door in Minnesota, if this is happening to Culpepper, it seems that it just lends some extra credence to Green's accusations, whether true or not.

You can't say the Vikings are getting rid of him because of injury. Because they're targeting Brees, who is hurt also. And despit the scope of Culpepper's knee injury, Brees' shoulder injury is more career threatening. Any upper body injury to a quarterback sucks years out of his career. Whether it's a sternum injury, shoulder injury, or head injury, it sucks years off a QB's career. Just ask Steve Young, Stan Humphries, Aikman, McNair, Pennington, etc. We know from Randall Cunningham's career that this injury isn't the end for Culpepper.

It seems like a lot of us saw this coming: http://www.falcfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=892

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:28 pm 

It now looks official that Daunte has played his last game in Minnesota. Question now becomes not whether the Vikings want to trade him, but can they? Although Daunte is one of the best QBs in the NFL, I don't see many teams making a lot of effort to get him. Maybe the Cardinals or Dolphins, but who else?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:58 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Da Raiders!!!!!!!!!!!!