Playmaker
Playmaker

Is anyone suscribed to ESPN's Insider?

It has an article about "The Falcons Eyeing Abraham?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:09 am 
Superstar
Superstar

This off season has been incredible when we talk about the media's curious focus on the Falcons. Let's see,...Vick to be traded was one,...Dunn to be cut,...Dunn going to Seattle,...Schaub to be traded,...Duckett to be traded,...Sam Madison wants to be a Falcon and now Buckner. Oh yeah,...let's not forget that Owens was gonna be a Falcon according to the media.

So why are the Falcons the subject of all this speculation? I don't recall the Falcons ever having this amount of attention, do you guys?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:15 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

that's good, very good.

also with this new CBA agreement the falcons will be in play to sign 3 to 5 upper middle tier free agents. hopefully all Oline and secondary help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:17 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I don't subscribe to ESPN Insider, nor do I ever expect to. I have no interest in reading ESPN the magazine and paying $7 a month. I realize that probably within the next 6-12 months, 95% of the content at ESPN.com will become Insider-based (I'd guess at least for the NFL, it's somewhere around 60-70% right now), but when that day arrives I'll probably just wash my hands clean of ESPN.

I hate the channel, and if not for PTI and the fact they have a monopoly on sports broadcasting in this country, I would not watch it at all.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:23 pm 

I go to SI.com or CBS Sportsline where most the information is still free. There is always the free wire reports over on KFFL too. :)

Lots of outlets to find sports information for free but Some are harder to find than others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:04 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I don't have EPSN Insider anymore but I'd be willing to bet that the rumor concerning Abraham is based on nothing more than the article in the AJC that said we may be interested in him...

so basically I think they are making a story based on speculation on the part of Wyche (I think that's his name) who wrote the article....

Post subject: Jets' Abraham may be target of Falcons
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:58 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Jets' Abraham may be target of Falcons
Steve Wyche - Staff
Saturday, March 4, 2006

As expected, the Falcons released veteran defensive end Brady Smith on Friday, leaving open the possibility of re-signing him once there is resolution to the NFL's collective bargaining negotiations.

The Falcons cut Smith to help clear space to get under the $94.5 million salary cap, set Wednesday night when it appeared that league owners and the players' union might not reach a new labor agreement that could have increased the salary cap to more than $100 million. Atlanta also adjusted the contracts of quarterback Michael Vick and backup tight end Eric Beverly to get under the salary cap.

Owners and union representatives continued negotiations on a collective bargaining agreement Friday in New York after extending the deadline for resolution until Sunday evening.

The Falcons would not disclose how far under the $94.5 million cap they are. They would confirm, however, that they would probably have to cut more players or rework more contracts in order to sign draft picks and be a modest player in free agency if a new labor accord is not reached.

The Falcons also hired Billy Devaney as senior personnel executive. Devaney, a 20-year NFL front office veteran and former director of player personnel with the San Diego Chargers, will serve as the top personnel chief to president and general manager Rich McKay.

Smith's possible return could have more to do with his health than the team's salary cap. Smith, who finished the season on injured reserve, is still recovering from a dislocated ball joint in his right foot that limited him to five games last season.

He also had neck surgery before the season that limited his availability in preseason, and he missed two early-season games because of a quadriceps injury. He was waived-injured, meaning he has recourse to collect some of the $2.5 million salary he was owed next season.

Smith is highly regarded by the coaching staff, and if he returns to full strength, Atlanta could try to re-sign him at a reduced rate.

Smith's release adds to the already obvious need for Atlanta to address defensive end through free agency, the draft or a trade.

The most attractive replacement could be New York Jets defensive end John Abraham, who had 10.5 sacks last season (1.5 against the Falcons), 20 in the past two and 53.5 in his six-year career. He has said he wants out of New York, and the Jets reportedly have had discussions about trading him.

New York placed a franchise tag on him to keep him off the free-agent market, but the move could allow the Jets to get something in return in a trade. The Jets need a quarterback, but the Falcons have said they won't trade backup Matt Schaub. A high draft pick --- the Falcons select 15th overall --- might also be enough to land Abraham.

Atlanta's prospects of acquiring Abraham or another top veteran rest heavily on a new labor deal, which would provide them the salary-cap space to award the type of big-dollar contract Abraham seeks.

Falcons officials would not comment about Abraham or other trade possibilities.

The Falcons also could draft a defensive end, with Penn State's Tamba Hali and Virginia Tech's Darryl Tapp, who is pegged more as a second-round pick, as options. Chauncey Davis and Jonathan Babineaux, a converted defensive tackle, started in Smith's place last season as rookies, and either could emerge as Smith's replacement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:55 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

no no no no

that kid from South Carolina will definately be there. also Jimmy Williams may be there. no way the falcons should trade for a high priced dlineman when the secondary sucks so bad!