It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: McKay, Something we don't know?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:04 pm 

The Falcons remain over the cap but have yet to make any significant moves over the past few days. This despite comingdown to the wire on an extension for the past few days. Clearly McKay's position is giving him insight that other teams do not have whom have been cutting players left and right.

We haven't even tendered our RFA's yet. Despite much speculation the Falcons have been about as lively as a corpse in getting their fiscal situation squared away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:05 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Since McKay took over, the Falcons have been slow to release information such as this. On the official site, McCrary is listed as being re-signed on February 16. This info was not released to anyone outside the front office until February 28, when it first showed up in the AJC. Pro Football Weekly had the Falcons postseason roster moves on their site early in January (I had a story run based off that info on 1/10), but the official site had nothing about it until 2/1. There are numerous more examples, but more often than not, the official site will release info such as this a week or two later than it occurs. During free agency, I suspect we'll know about signings within 48 hours, but talking about tendering RFAs is not probably high on their priority list of headlining moves, since we only have 2 guys.

I'm sure the Falcons have tendered the RFAs, but it just won't be known until free agency officially starts.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:38 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Pudge wrote:
Since McKay took over, the Falcons have been slow to release information such as this. On the official site, McCrary is listed as being re-signed on February 16. This info was not released to anyone outside the front office until February 28, when it first showed up in the AJC. Pro Football Weekly had the Falcons postseason roster moves on their site early in January (I had a story run based off that info on 1/10), but the official site had nothing about it until 2/1. There are numerous more examples, but more often than not, the official site will release info such as this a week or two later than it occurs. During free agency, I suspect we'll know about signings within 48 hours, but talking about tendering RFAs is not probably high on their priority list of headlining moves, since we only have 2 guys.

I'm sure the Falcons have tendered the RFAs, but it just won't be known until free agency officially starts.

You are absolutely right, Pudge. But I also think that Mckay knew something that no one else did or does. At least not in terms of the public. I think that he knew that a deal, more than likely, will get done this time. Not to mention that ESPN showed a list of teams over the cap as of today and the Falcons were not on the list. I may be wrong but all the pieces seem to fit.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:26 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Actually.. were under the cap by quite a bit..

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:15 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Nuccah wrote:
Actually.. were under the cap by quite a bit..

This is true...we are 2-3 million under with the restructuring of Vicks contract and releasing brady smith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:53 pm 

The Falcons are still over the cap. Pro-rating Vick's bonus saved $7.5 million and cutting Smith saved about $1.5 million. The Falcons where at least $10 million over the cap prior to these moves. We aren't much over but I believe we are still over. If Atlanta gets Dunn & Brooking to restructure we should be clear by quite a bit. I still think Weiner might be a cap-casualty or re-structures his deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:17 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Cappy that's your cue!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:47 pm 

Dirty, I think us being $10 millino over was based on a $92 million cap. Since the cap this year will be at least $94.5 million, even the with the higest estimate I saw, the Falcons should be under the cap now.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:19 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

dirtybirdnw wrote:
The Falcons are still over the cap. Pro-rating Vick's bonus saved $7.5 million and cutting Smith saved about $1.5 million. The Falcons where at least $10 million over the cap prior to these moves. We aren't much over but I believe we are still over. If Atlanta gets Dunn & Brooking to restructure we should be clear by quite a bit. I still think Weiner might be a cap-casualty or re-structures his deal.

I'll go by the falcfans.com cap number. It said we were at 2.15 on Feb. 1st.. we made so many moves to get under I believe we may actually have around 8-9 million..

Profile E-mail