It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NASCAR Division!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:51 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

FOX expert analyst Howie Long tends to refer to the NFC South division as the "NASCAR Division." Too many blows to the head causes this type of thinking.

This all resurfaces as NASCAR chose Charlotte, NC., the home of the Carolina Panthers, over Atlanta to house the new NASCAR Hall Of Fame. Most reports as to why this decision won't include a NASCAR official's concern over safety in South Atlanta, ahem,...but we'll not go there.

Here's one reason that this guy might think this and says it every year,...more NASCAR drivers live in North Carolina, and in the South generally, than any other place in the country. Most of them speak with that distinct twang people generalise with barefoot, Marlboro smoking, Budweiser drinking, good ole boys that drive a Ford/Chevy pickup with a gun hanging in the back window on a rack. Oh I forgot too,...they're barefoot with a straw hat and frayed jeans running up their muddy shins. Had to include that.:tongue:

Oh but hold on here,...being a man that has visited Indiana and Ohio,...I saw more Confederate flags on front plates of Fords/Chevies there than I see when I'm forced to go through ALABAMA! Even when I took a short vacation to Boston,...bikers were seen wearing the Confederate flag as bandanas on the Interstate route to Salem.

And then there's NASCAR that has races for the entire country,...here's some other locations of NASCAR races this year other than in the South,...California Speedway, Phoenix International Raceway, Dover International Speedway(Delaware?), Las Vegas International Speedway, Infineon Speedway(Sonoma CA), ChicagoLand Speedway, New Hampshire International Speedway, Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Watkins Glen International Speedway(NEW YORK State), Michigan International Speedway, California Speedway, New Hampshire International Speedway(again), Dover International Speedway(again), Kansas Speedway, Phoenix International Speedway(again) and Homestead-Miami Speedway.

Howie, Howie, Howie,...I love ya man,...but ya gotta stop thinking everyone that watches and/or attends a NASCAR event is a redneck. In that light,...Joe Gibbs and Troy Aikman are rednecks,...oh but they get a pass because they were(Gibbs) and are(Aikman) owners of racing teams. So, hmmmm,...one then wonders if Howie, as well as many former and present players of the NFL, look down their noses at the very fans that just about worship them? Or rather, why does this kept being said by Howie?

We've seen Sean Salisbury cower in a dark corner when he made the statement that he'd walk some long distance if the Redskins made the playoffs in 2005,...and they did. Hey Sean, nice foot in mouth trick, boy.

We must endure Chris Berman's(not me anymore, I tune the guy off), pick the Bills and Niners to appear in the Super Bowl every preseason.

And then there's Howie. The NASCAR division, especially the fans of NASCAR and of the NFC South,...are rednecks in his opinion. Not anyone from Indy,...Michigan,...Delaware,...New Hamshire,...<gasp> and definitely none in California!

What's even more telling is that New Orleans and Tampa won't even have a NASCAR event this year, I'm no fan of NASCAR but I'd bet Louisiana doesn't even have a speedway track, and probably Tampa too. So why the NASCAR division Howie? C'mon man,...tell us what you're really wanting to say here.

Hey guys,...again, am no NASCAR fan, I think it's an okay sport but it's not my cup 'o tea. Maybe that's why Long's remarks like that tend to grate on me more than it probably should. After all,...he's paid to ruffle feathers,...I do it for fun.;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:28 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

PB, you might be able to justify Howie if you consider so many teams in the NFC South are built aroudn speed. You have Vick, Steve Smith, Cadillac Williams, Galloway, among others, and all except the Saints feature a ton of speed on defense with DeAngelo, Chris Gamble, The Bucs LBs, RIce, Peppers, Rucker, our LBs, etc. There's a lot of speed in our division. It seems the Saints are the only team that sorta the oddball when it comes to teams built on speed. That could change if they get Vince.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:40 am 
Superstar
Superstar

If Long is referring to the speed in the division then he's got something there. If he's speaking in regional, or geographical terms he's just another talking head that enjoys relating NASCAR to good ole boys in the South.

As Falcons fans we've had to endure some stereotyping from the media in the past and it's fun to point it out whenever it rears its' head.;)