It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What free agents would you like to be Falcon's?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:15 am 

I am watching the moves by other teams and can't help but want the Falcon's to get in the mix and at least sign at least 2 players if not in the top tier free agents the second tier.I think the Falcon's generally lay low til the prices come down then bid but it also means loosing out on some players. I know last year we got Hartwell came out of nowhere,thenn rod coleman but before that we would get the anthony redmond's,cory louchey's.Of course I think that was before blank owned them so I would expect a few things to happen that way come draft time we can focus on fewer positions and draft the best player to fill a need.

What I would like to see the falcon's sign Brad Hopkins at left tackle.No way is frank O ready to start against top tier nfl pass rushers.Hopkins is getting near the end of his career and at least would give us time to groom someone.

Lawrence Milloy,safety! Milloy has lost some but can still deliver a blow and intimidate.I hope he can still play the run since we need someone to come up and whack a few running backs,receivers.

If we could get hopkins and milloy then come our first rounder we won't have to draft someone to fill a need but doesn't have the upside as another player. Def end we have to get one some how.I don't think there is a great difference between Tamba Hali over Darryl Tapp.I would pass on Hali and hope tapp is there in the second.It is possible the Falcon's if Jimmy Williams last may draft him move him to safety or maybe replace webster.You don't get big conrers often so if he is there would be hard to pass.Also if the Falcon's were to draft Tapp in the second we could field a Virgina Tech team? I certainly think it is a possbility since there are some schools that pro teams like to draft players more than others.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Marlon Mcree signs!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:16 am 

Mcree signs with the chargers! Well I was hoping the falcon's could get in the mix!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:50 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

McCree would have been a great pickup. Other safety options would include Archuleta and Tank Williams. But it's unlikely we'll be in those guys price ranges. Secondary options, I would probably focus on a veteran that can help bring 1 or 2 rookies along quickly. Someone like Marcus Coleman, Lawyer Milloy, Tebucky JOnes, or Lance Schulters.

At CB, I'd love to have Will Allen or Jerry Azumah. Neither are shutdown guys, but I think either would be as good if not better than Webster across from Hall. They would be excellent nickel guys. But is a nickel corner worth a signing bonus approaching $6 or 7 million? I'm not sure, not when we're in a good position to have our pick of quality corners in Round 1 or 2.

On the D-line, I'd love to get Andre Carter. I would settle for Ryan Denney and a rookie though. At DT, it would be nice to add a wide-body veteran that could push for a rotation spot. I like Buckner, Russell Davis, Travis Hall, or Ed Jasper returning.

ON the OL, the best possible scenario would have us getting Hopkins at LT, Steve NEal at LG, and maybe Mawae at OC. But at the very least, I want a veteran OT to push Omi. I would settle for Todd Steussie, Ephraim Salaam, Mike Pearson, or Trey Teague.

At WR, I'm content with just re-signing Brian Finneran. There are some decent WRS in FA like Peter Warrick and others that are interesting, but if we lost Finneran, I'd rather go after a middle round pick in the draft.

At QB, the best option would be McCown. Secondary options would be Tony Banks or Anthony Wright.

That's my wishlist for now.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:08 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

how about sam adams?? he would be a good clogger in the middle...just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:35 pm 

Adams is a good player, but his sheer size and laziness means no chance in hell the Falcons go after him.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:52 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Darryl Tapp/Jimmy Williams - FYI, VT's pro day is this thursday

Talk The Talk
Darryl Tapp shows up to make sure the youngsters can "walk the walk"

BeamerBall.com: Darryl Tapp, your Virginia Tech football career is over. What in the world are you doing out here at 5:30 am in the morning?

Darryl Tapp: Hee he he... hey, I'm a Hokie. I love this stuff. I love this program. I just wanted to come out and let the guys know that I'm behind them 100%. I'll always be a part of the team. I wanted to remind them that whether or not they're successful in the fall starts right here, right now. I wanted to ask them how many other football players across the country were up at 5:00 am this morning getting ready to go to football work outs. This program was built on hard work and dedication to one another and this is what it's all about. This is the good stuff. This is where you find out what you're made of. This is where you win football games. A lot of people don't think that you win football games at 5:30 am in the morning... but you do.

To make it through a whole season, you have to be mentally tough. This is where you develop that toughness. Over the course of a season, things won't always go your way, so you have to maintain that toughness and that discipline to fight through it and get back on top. It's almost impossible to go undefeated in major college football. So, you better be mentally prepared for whatever comes your way. And, I'm out here checking out on some of the young guys. They did a whole lot of yapping. They told me that the winter workouts 'wouldn't be nothing.' I'm out here to see what they have to say now. I'm waiting to see which one hangs his head in the puke bucket first. They talked a lot of smack, I just want to see if they can back it up.

BeamerBall.com: Exactly who are we talking about, and, how are they doing?

Darryl Tapp: Oh man.... they know I'm watching them so they've got their pride out there. They're giving it a pretty good effort. Players like Cordarrow Thompson, Cam Martin... young guys like that. I just wanted to see the looks on their faces the first time through this. It's been funny. They don't look like it's a day at the beach. They did a whole lot of talking back during the season, but they're not saying too much right now. Mostly all they're doing is trying to get some oxygen in their lungs.

BeamerBall.com: As far as you're concerned, what are your thoughts on your NFL combine?

Darryl Tapp: I think things went well. I've been hearing some positive reports and that's encouraging. Also, all the teams that I spoke with, except for three, told me that I'll be a defensive end in the NFL. They told me that my size wasn't an issue. They said that I showed that I could play defensive end at the Senior Bowl and at the combine. That's what I wanted to prove.

BeamerBall.com: Have you been invited to individual workouts or meetings with any NFL teams yet?

Darryl Tapp: No sir. All that will start after Thursday's Pro Day.

BeamerBall.com: What's your agenda for Thursday?

Darryl Tapp: Well, I'm going to run the forty again. I'd like to improve on the time I turned in at the combine. The NFL scouts know that my forty time was strong at the combine, but I know that I can do better. I have some teams that want to work me out as an outside linebacker, so I'll do that stuff for those clubs, and do my defensive end workouts for everybody else.