It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: We re-signed Finneran
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:41 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I saw it on atlantafalcons.com

4-year deal

glad we got that squared away...this also means we won't be looking for wr's at any point now...

Post subject: Re: We re-signed Finneran
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:05 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Steve-O wrote:
I saw it on atlantafalcons.com

4-year deal

glad we got that squared away...this also means we won't be looking for wr's at any point now...

Good, i'm tired of using draft picks on WR's...maybe we can get some more production this year

Post subject: WRs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:29 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Finn isn't the best WR out there but 'clutchy butterfingers' has been money for us on first downs his whole career, plus he is a huge safety valve for Vick because he never gives up on plays.

Draft choices and WRs are a bad combo. Take Arizona, huge WR drafts and no playoffs. Take Detroit, huge WR drafts and no playoffs. Look at Atlanta, 2 WR first rounds the past two years and we missed the playoffs this year. As good as WRs are they need a QB that can throw to make them great and they cannot take over a game like a great RB. We haven't proved that our QB can throw so don't waste another pick on a WR when we have guys who are capable already.

MF1

J. Mora JR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:03 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I'm glad Finn is staying around.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sport ... neran.html

Post subject: Re: WRs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:06 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

MarylandFalcon1 wrote:
Finn isn't the best WR out there but 'clutchy butterfingers' has been money for us on first downs his whole career, plus he is a huge safety valve for Vick because he never gives up on plays.

Draft choices and WRs are a bad combo. Take Arizona, huge WR drafts and no playoffs. Take Detroit, huge WR drafts and no playoffs. Look at Atlanta, 2 WR first rounds the past two years and we missed the playoffs this year. As good as WRs are they need a QB that can throw to make them great and they cannot take over a game like a great RB. We haven't proved that our QB can throw so don't waste another pick on a WR when we have guys who are capable already.

MF1

Exactly, and I strongly believe that Roddy White will be a star in the NFL, as long as Vick gives him the opportunity. If you think about it, what makes a NFL WR great is his QB. Moss was great with Culpepper, dropped off a bit with Collins(and injuries). Holt and Bruce were good with Bulger, dropped off with...i forgot his name..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:12 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

The only WR whom i can think of that is great without a "Top-Notch" QB, is Terell Owens, but with greatness their is always a flaw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:59 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Wyche,..."The retention of Finneran, who has been with the Falcons since 2000 and led Atlanta's wide receivers with 50 catches for 611 yards and two touchdowns last season, was considered a priority. Though Finneran is the No. 3 wide receiver behind Michael Jenkins and Roddy White, he has an established trust with Vick — especially in third-down situations.

Of Finneran's catches, 62 percent went for first downs or scores last season. Since 2001, 68 percent of his receptions have been for first downs or touchdowns.

While signing Finneran might not create the stir of some of the other free-agent moves taking place around the league, the team's coaching and management staff felt securing Finneran was crucial in keeping the brunt of the Falcons' receiving nucleus — tight end Alge Crumpler is the team's leading ball catcher — intact."

relax ya'll,...T.O. is washed up and Roddy and Michael ain't. Anyone that'll waste a pick and/or money and player(s) for Owens is an idiot. White will be the story this Fall and Jenkins will probably become the second receiver in things,...even if he's in that first receiver position.

Finn will get about 40 catches,...Crump 45,...Jenkins 55,...and White with the least number of catches,...and hopefully at least 20 catches for yards over 20 yards. Question,...why even run the ball? There'll be passes to Griffith and Dunn as well.

You guys must admit,...we have an awesome offense on paper. And wait before you judge the O-line.